Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Epic day. Sunshine and powder that was as good as it gets.

Mattun- now thrashed:

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[\quote="stanton.]thw difference us The German dayt rippers no what there doing disperse and get straight into the freeride areas ....[/quote]

Someones been enjoying the Apres!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quick question. Is the train station to the Nassereinhof hotel walkable with a suitcase?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably 10 - 15min walk, but there are a lot of ice patches on the roads and footpaths. So, I would say “definitely yes” on dry roads, but I would be inclined to get a taxi at the moment, especially with a suitcase.

Plan B: get the Linie 4 or 2 bus (only morning) from the Nassereinbahn stop.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ll be there afternoon so I’ll just grab a taxi. Thanks for the advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DanFuller, Take the Free ski bus to Nassreinbahn
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DanFuller, If its afternoon there are lots of free ski buses. Most of them (all?) start from the West terminal a short distance away from the station. The number 4 stops pretty much outside the Nassereinhof Hotel (cant remember what the stop is called but its up the short hill just after the Nassereinbahn), the number 2 opposite the Nassereinbahn and a good number of the others in the Nasserein car park. Certainly no big deal with a case.

If there are no taxis outside the station the main taxi rank is next to the bus stops.

Nassereinhof is a good spot to stay, perfect in the mornings for the lift, easy to get places in the evening for beers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m only there for 2 nights before my mates arrive and we are at Chalet Montfort with Kaluma for the week.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 29-01-19 22:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DanFuller, the bus stop you want is the Reselehof, just across the road from the Nassereinerhof. Alternatively the number 2 stops at the Nassereinbahn, or the number 5 and Pettneu/Flirsch busses stop at the Nassereinbahn car park, much easier than walking from the train station.

Regarding Happy Valley/Steissbachtal being closed, this also includes the off piste, word is they have pulled passes from people doing the off piste in to the valley and out the bottom.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agreed. Today was as good as it gets in the Arlberg. Skied in Lech and Warth today. Cold light snow everywhere all day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sitter, Great reason for hiking and skiing for free ..lol
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sitter, saw people skiing around the barrier into Steissbachtal late yesterday and dropping in, no av gear- they must be crazy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yesterday some of the best skiing and conditions in a long time, Scarlet joined us, all morning and early afternoon in the powder and sun, super cold on Rendl then up to Schindlerkar late afternoon for 2 loops in the sun, 40-50cm fresh .......just opened 3pm after 2 days closed. Wow. Guess where we’re going early today?!

You know it’s a good snow day when you stand and watch Stefan Hausl and Lorraine Huber dropping into the gully’s below R1 whooping!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 30-01-19 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also thought that those people dropping into Schindlerkar Steilhang and the Kapallbahn side of Mattun were pushing the risk envelope.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, agreed...dropping off the Schindlerkar track seems crazy to me.
snow report
There were a few groups skiing down across the sun shadow into the valley late yesterday around 4pm. There was a ski patrol guy watching from the traverse side at Zammermoos. Very sketchy.

Unreal day skiing Stuben and then Flexenbahn into Zurs. All the good snow was just off the pistes. Lots of folks dropping the pillows on the avy barriers under Albona 1.

Side question, can you fly a drone (Mavic Air) in the Arlberg for recreational purposes?
snow report
Snow coming for the weekend Saturday Sunday
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
I also thought that those people dropping into Schindlerkar Steilhang and the Kapallbahn side of Mattun were pushing the risk envelope.

To the Left of Kapalnahn is known as the Tod steilfall hang
ski holidays
@stanton, Saturday only above 1800 meters, correct?
snow conditions
Snowing now down to town, super quiet today on the slopes.
snow report
stanton wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

To the Left of Kapalnahn is known as the Tod steilfall hang

Bloody hell, @Stanton, I find myself agreeing with you! That will never do. Our StA friends have warned us many times to not ski that face - as if that was not obvious from all the slides and glide cracks - reminding us how many people have died there.
snow conditions
@craftybob the use of drones particularly for taking camera footage is tightly regulated in Austria so worth reading up on.
snow report
Ok thanks I discovered a government page talking about amateur licenses.

Anyone been skiing Zug area? Any drag snow over there? Thinking of making a day of it from St Anton today
ski holidays
Transited through Zug yesterday. Madloch - Zug was in good condition, however the low visibility made the initial tuck, well, “interesting”.

I don’t know what you mean by “drag snow”.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Transited through Zug yesterday. Madloch - Zug was in good condition, however the low visibility made the initial tuck, well, “interesting”.

Sorry meant Fresh snow! Is that the ski route 170 into Zug? Is there a long flat ski out? I’m asking as I’ve 3 boarders in the group.
latest report
craftybob wrote:
There were a few groups skiing down across the sun shadow into the valley late yesterday around 4pm. There was a ski patrol guy watching from the traverse side at Zammermoos. Very sketchy.

Unreal day skiing Stuben and then Flexenbahn into Zurs. All the good snow was just off the pistes. Lots of folks dropping the pillows on the avy barriers under Albona 1.

Side question, can you fly a drone (Mavic Air) in the Arlberg for recreational purposes?

Taking pictures or filming is deemed commercial use, so you will need license and insurance and potentially permission from Austro Control (aviation authority). If filming near lift cables this can get more complicated.

The noise is also really intrusive, so tbh in my opinion better not, especially if filming around lots of people. If you go into the backcountry the legalities still apply, but no-one is likely to notice or care so you shouldn't have an issue.
latest report
Re: Filming.. Austria does indeed have very strict regulations.. In fact if you start filming people (specifically Austrians) in bars etc you can expect a verbal confontation..

Filming company employees (bars , restaurants) in illegal & fines are upto €3000. Of course people do but be aware if they object ..
snow report
Weather.

Sundays snow will only be light...next week will be cold..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
craftybob wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Sorry meant Fresh snow! Is that the ski route 170 into Zug? Is there a long flat ski out? I’m asking as I’ve 3 boarders in the group.

Near the top of the run there is a flat section followed by a slight rise. Generally you need to build up some speed to avoid poling / walking, clearly not so easy to do in a white out. The final short stretch to the lift at Zug is a track through the trees.
latest report
I think everyone went to Lech/Zürs today. Huge queue for the Post Bus and Valfagehr looked like Hwy 101 at peak hour. St Anton, on the other hand, is nicely quiet.

May as well enjoy today to the max. The forecast for the next 2 days does not look too flash.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/IPYmQz9EYNg
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/UI6l-ZdGNCk
latest report
So I know there was a foehn wind today / yesterday, but St Anton reported the base depth went from 520cm to 340cm !!!! At Valluga - surely that’s wrong and that much base wasn’t eaten up / blown away ??? In a day !?
snow report
Alex A wrote:
So I know there was a foehn wind today / yesterday, but St Anton reported the base depth went from 520cm to 340cm !!!! At Valluga - surely that’s wrong and that much base wasn’t eaten up / blown away ??? In a day !?

340cm at the Galzig and is little changed. 500cm, or thereabouts, is at the Valluga. Fair difference in altitude, almost 500m.
snow report
Probably another 20-30cm at Galzigbahn now, 10cm in town has fallen overnight. Still snowing heavily.
ski holidays
Thursday was pretty epic if you knew where to go.

900m of laying fresh tracks on an untouched hill Cool

snow report
@Mosha Marc, nice! Did you have to skin for that or was it off a lift?
snow conditions
@kitenski, only a little walk; about 40 minutes.
ski holidays
@kitenski, and an eagle was gliding about 15 feet above us for a while which was pretty cool
snow report
Snowing steadily at village level. Maybe 10cm on the steps outside our front door.

Visibility? You might need to Cat III-qualified to ski above the treeline. Very Happy It looks like pea-soup down here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy