Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, Hiking up i dont have a contract/agreement (ticket) ...
Mountains are Free spaces
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've seen Steissbachtal, but never skied it. Closed in March 2017 and March 2018 when I was there (and it sounds like March 2019 will be the same!). If you wanted to show an example of "avalanche-prone terrain", there it is. But there are many large, potentially dangerous sections in the areas we ski in, and the risks are typically mitigated by dropping bombs or using gas-x exploders. Why is it any different here? It appears to be terrain they'd prefer to have open if possible/safe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allcarvedup wrote:
This visit to St Anton will be our first to Austria. Having skied France, and the Three Valleys in particular, often we usually purchase carre neige as additional insurance to ensure speedy/appropriate rescue from the mountain if required. Is there a similar policy in Austria (Arlberg in particular) or will travel insurance with Wintersports cover (inc guided off-piste) suffice?

You can buy an Arlberg Safety Card see https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/winter/safety , cost €15 for a week € 25 for the season, which should cover guided off piste (check small print and your guide ).

If your travel insurance doesnt cover off piste skiing a good option is to join the Austrian Alpine Club and mountain rescue insurance is part of the membership fee see https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scooter in Seattle, http://sciencenordic.com/mysteries-glide-avalanches
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Details of New Schindlergratbahn 10 man Gondola

Submission

https://www.tirol.gv.at/fileadmin/buergerservice/kundmachungen/umweltschutz/Arlberger_Bergbahnen_AG__St__Anton_-_OEffentliche_Bekanntmachung.pdf

Trajectory of new lift over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4425#p5190139
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/QoEAqzLA2gk
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:

Do you actually enjoy skiing a piste in that condition? I’d rather stick needles in my eyes and give my knees a break!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suppose replacing the lift is inevitable (it is nearly 40 years old) but not sure pushing more people onto the mountain is going to actually improve the experience, shorter queues maybe but more crowded skiing.

One thing I will miss (assuming it gets built) is the view beneath your feet on the final 50m or so before getting to the top station. It wont be the same experience sitting inside a plastic bubble.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Against my better judgement, we stopped at Trittalm for a break. EUR12 for Apfelstrudel mit sahne!!! The other prices were similarly high.

Now I understand the negative reviews on https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g608682-d3989683-Reviews-Trittalm-Zurs_Vorarlberg_Austrian_Alps.html?m=19905 In short, you get high prices, for small serves, with a side of attitude.

Much better places to eat in the Arlberg.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ulmerhutte, worst place for food, service awful too.

@craftybob, it’s not a piste It’s Schindler couloirs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Against my better judgement, we stopped at Trittalm for a break. EUR12 for Apfelstrudel mit sahne!!! The other prices were similarly high.

Now I understand the negative reviews on https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g608682-d3989683-Reviews-Trittalm-Zurs_Vorarlberg_Austrian_Alps.html?m=19905 In short, you get high prices, for small serves, with a side of attitude.

Much better places to eat in the Arlberg.

I remember that place. Think the first year i went to the Arlberg I went there. It was shocking
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St. Anton am Arlberg from WDR digit
https://vimeo.com/313124651
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
playground arlberg from Sergej Kreibich
https://vimeo.com/308799110
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Other than downloading on the Nasserein gondola is there another relatively easy way of getting back to the Nasserein end of town at the end of the day - we will be skiing with our 2 young kids, they are both competent but I don’t want to inflict the joys of Happy Valley on them. Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@franga, you wouldn’t get down to Nasserein by going down the Happy Valley. Not least because it’s closed at present, but also because it won’t take you down to Nasserein. If you are coming down from Gampen there is blue Ställmader Fang (31) you can use to avoid the black Fang (34).
ski holidays
franga wrote:
Other than downloading on the Nasserein gondola is there another relatively easy way of getting back to the Nasserein end of town at the end of the day - we will be skiing with our 2 young kids, they are both competent but I don’t want to inflict the joys of Happy Valley on them. Thanks

Follow Blue 31 into 27 and back to 31. It's called the Hopplweg and has bunny rabbit signs and animals for the kids to spot on the way down. The kids did it a lot on their first year with ski school at ages 5 and 6 and they still love it now 3 years later. It can get a little crowded with kids ski school groups but nothing like Happy Valley. Have fun.
snow report
CJM wrote:
Thanks everybody - very helpful info. We've got some real foodies in our group and this will cause some soul searching. Not sure whether we will be able to skip the wine at lunch and wait all the way for apres. Decisions!

BTW - I'll never forget the first time we skied down at the end of the day and popped into the little bar and the Austrians were dancing in ski boots and airbag backpacks up on the table. You guys are professionals! And that's why we are coming back. Happy

I'd personally head straight for this restaurant in Warth. Near the bottom of 259 and turn left. It'll be a fab memory. Berggasthof Auenfelder Hütte - Phone: +43 664 4111251
or the MonenFluh in Lech is also good food and setting.

It maybe better to get the bus to Lech and spend the whole day there and in Warth than try and ski there.
It would take around 3-4 hours for a group your size to even get to Warth from St Anton.

The quicker of your group can then ski back via the flexenbahn starting back from Lech ideally at 1:30pm and the slower of the group can get the bus back to St Anton.
This is the latter half of the hall of fame. The slower of the group could make it to Zurs and get the bus back from there.

The buses are great and the views are spectacular.

I hope this helps
snow report
S1, at the bottom of the Saloberjet in Schröcken, is a lunch spot worth visiting. Great food, reasonable prices, tons of ambience, and friendly service.

We however tend to eat mainly at the “company” restaurants, eg Rendl, Galzig, etc. Food’s fine, it is relatively quick and cheap. Days are for skiing, not sitting around restaurants. I do get that others have different priorities... Very Happy
snow conditions
craftybob wrote:
stanton wrote:

Do you actually enjoy skiing a piste in that condition? I’d rather stick needles in my eyes and give my knees a break!
What's wrong with it?
I love the various couloirs off Schindler. Have spent entire days just skiing there.
ski holidays
Steviedsolve and ulmerhutte - appreciate the recommendations, have found both on the map. And thanks for the timeline info and the bus suggestions. Good info.
We leave today and arrive in St Anton tomorrow. woot!
snow conditions
I am trying to fully understand the proposed new Schindler lift, as I do not understand German. The current exit point is busy enough already so with increased capacity that will get worse.

I wonder if perhaps the station will be a little further on and therefore slightly lower down where there is a sort of plateau, where you turn left for the piste or right for the Scindler/Mattun bowl? That would be fine for most skiers and those who still want to do the couloirs, who are a small percentage in reality, could walk back up.

Does anyone have any ideas?
snow conditions
The new Schindlergratbahn is going to be a gondola, with a mid-station on top of Schindlergrat, and a new ‘top’ station near the valluga tow lift.
You will have to choose your exit when getting on the lift (similar to Trittkopf/Flexen)
snow report
@richjp, assuming the folks over at Alpinforum are correct the proposed new lift will have a top station adjacent to the top of the current Valluga drag lift. I assume this would be the main point of exit. From here there would be the slightly extended red piste down to the Ulmer Hütte, the Schindlerkar, Knoppenkar and Mattunjoch ski routes plus various off piste itineraries. This is rather more options than at present (getting to Mattunjoch involves a good bit of poling / walking). There would be a "middle" station (not really middle at all...) at the site of the existing top station, this would give access to the Schindler couloirs etc (see video above) and I guess the access to the piste and Schindlerkar would be much as now. I would guess the top station will actually be a bit lower than the middle station.

The bottom station would be situated below the existing one, this would mean no more trying (and in my case inevitably failing Embarassed ) to build up enough speed to avoid poling for the last 20m when coming from Galzig.

The proposed lift is a 10 person gondola which will have a bigger carrying capacity than the current rather quaint chair, less queues at the bottom more crowded pistes at the top.....
snow report
Perfekt conditions today…

Cold Weather will continue well into next week…

A Boot Dusting on Saturday...
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
craftybob wrote:
stanton wrote:

What's wrong with it?
I love the various couloirs off Schindler. Have spent entire days just skiing there.

Crusty, wind-swept, tracked out...
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
The new Schindlergratbahn is going to be a gondola, with a mid-station on top of Schindlergrat, and a new ‘top’ station near the valluga tow lift.
You will have to choose your exit when getting on the lift (similar to Trittkopf/Flexen)

Would it not make more sense to put the bergstation for this at the valuga top station to reduce the ridiculous waits for the cable car.
latest report
CJM wrote:
Steviedsolve and ulmerhutte - appreciate the recommendations, have found both on the map. And thanks for the timeline info and the bus suggestions. Good info.
We leave today and arrive in St Anton tomorrow. woot!

Have a great time CJM. I'm sure you will. Conditions don't get any more perfect. We're still replaying our trip two weeks ago and only three weeks to go for us to return.
snow conditions
mcg wrote:
Langerzug wrote:

Would it not make more sense to put the bergstation for this at the valuga top station to reduce the ridiculous waits for the cable car.

Not sure that's true. I suspect a lot of people in the queue for the lift really dont need to be there. The only piste is a pleasant enough short red usually with very good snow which ends up at the Valluga drag. Only piste option from the top of the drag is the one down to the Ulmer Hütte which can be reached more easily using the Schindler chair rather than a long wait for the cable car. The only real reasons to queue for the cable car are sightseeing at the top, various off piste options or to easily get to the start of the Mattunjoch ski route.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An epic week in Lech skiing some great stuff, really feel we’ve got to know Lech/ Zurs much better this week and loads still to explore, love the place, really chilled and fabulous empty slopes.

Snow conditions fantastic, really cold and snowing this morning as we head around to St Anton for week 2.
snow report
Snowing gently in St Anton this morning. Considerably warmer than the last few days, eg -3C at Rendl Beach, versus ~ -14C yesterday.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, -18c on Muggengrat yesterday but sunny
ski holidays
Anypne who is waiting in line for the Vallugabahn obviously got on the hill to late...

There are no Q's first thing in the morning (when its open) .
snow report
This morning I looked at the Bergfex forecast and I could hardly believe my eyes. If Carlsberg did weather.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/qeaG7OIz0Gw
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/nMk9UZlr_lg
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/C6U-SQHGDI0
latest report
Great day on Rendl in the powder all day, felt 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. Snow in great condition.
snow report
Powder day. Maybe not as light as last Friday/Saturday, but still fun to ski.

snow report
Biggest Party of the Season today at KK

Australia Day....

Back in the 80' 90' there was a very strict policy not to allow any whingin poms into the house.....

Shame they did not continue that Very Happy
ski holidays
Pefekt ski conditions again

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 26-01-19 18:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy