Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Smith - How Good do I need to be?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm seriously thinking about having a week at the Warren Smith Academy next year but not sure how good a skier you need to be. It just states Intermediate to expert. I'm certainly at the low end of that scale with my last lessons in Canada at New Year being Level 4 (out of 6). Anyone any experience of this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, I'd not worry, the standard varies between not very good at all to halfway decent. Warren's a an approachable bloke, give him a ring and have a chat, he'll be a bit tied up this week with the Verbier ride though (if you want to wind him up, ask him about the avalanche control work the Verbier pisteurs did Very Happy )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise,
Quote:

the standard varies between not very good at all

Sounds like I fit the bill then Little Angel Hopefully it will move me closer to half decent. I'll try to make contact but want to book early while I can still get a flight with my BA Points. Thanks for the help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise, I've sent a Pm to you but it seems to be stuck in my Outbox so not sure whether it's got to you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did a course in the first week of this season, and as ise said the standard was really wide. I am a reasonable intermediate and was somewhere in the middle of the group. There was a guy who had only skiied for a week but he did hold the group back alittle. Well recommended though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
justapurrin, Thanks, I've done about 5 weeks (with a few more days next month) so hopefully would fit in pretty well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You will be OK. It is no good for beginners, and you will really only get the best out of it if you are committed to improvement.
It is not "follow me" type instruction. Warren is a very good guy but he is not afraid to keeep on, and on, and on, about a particular point until you have got it into your skiing. We did the course 2 years ago as a family (kids were 9 1nd 12 at the time, I think they were the first kids he'd ever had in the course, they had to be pre-checked by him before the course) and the spectrum in the group was varied, but everybody could ski all the pistes already....but with a variety of "styles" and speeds.
By the end of the week our family had progressed a lot, as had the rest.
Since then we have had privates with Warren on several occassions, and will be refreshing with a course in April.

The kids are now fantastic skiers, proud Dad I know but they really do have style, ability and confidence. Us parents have made a lot of progress but we are not ready to stop learning yet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about having a week at the Warren Smith Academy next year but not sure how good a skier you need to be. It just states Intermediate to expert. I'm certainly at the low end of that scale with my last lessons in Canada at New Year being Level 4 (out of 6). Anyone any experience of this?

I've done two of his course. Highly recommended. I'd say the entry requirement would be parallel & comfortable on reds.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, Your not wrong about relentless nagging until you've mastered the point he is trying to make. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, the PM will stay in the oubtox until ise reads it, then it will move to your sentbo
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
justapurrin wrote:
rungsp, Your not wrong about relentless nagging until you've mastered the point he is trying to make. Laughing

That doesn't sound very good to me. I'd have thought it better to try some other method of explanation, or try some other form of exercise to accentuate the point, rather than nag.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Warren is a very good guy but he is not afraid to keeep on, and on, and on, about a particular point

Ankle flex.
Ankle flex.
Ankle flex.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thigh high
Thigh high
Thigh high

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
ise, I've sent a Pm to you but it seems to be stuck in my Outbox so not sure whether it's got to you.

I was out skiing Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, the entry level can't be too high or he'd get few customers. The best investment, if you can afford it, is to have a private lesson which focuses upon a particular aspect of your skill base that requires addressing. For me, that'd be putting my boots on.
snow report
ise wrote:
(if you want to wind him up, ask him about the avalanche control work the Verbier pisteurs did Very Happy )
Tell me more! Did they blast away all the fresh snow on Mont Gele?

Colin B, I agree with ise and spyderjon - the lower end of the standard isn't too high. As long as you are keen to learn and you don't mind doing lots of drills you should be fine.

If the Academy is too much commitment you could enquire about some private tuition. We've done a 1 week Academy course (same one as ise), and then 2 sets of 3 day tuition since then. No guarantee that you'd get Warren for the private tuition but the rest of the team are superb as well.
snow report
alan empty wrote:
ise wrote:
(if you want to wind him up, ask him about the avalanche control work the Verbier pisteurs did Very Happy )

So I'm told by my source, apparently he'd asked them to be careful but they just blitzed it.

alan empty wrote:
Colin B, I agree with ise and spyderjon - the lower end of the standard isn't too high. As long as you are keen to learn and you don't mind doing lots of drills you should be fine.

I reckon there was only two decent skiers on the course I went on Very Happy
ski holidays
I got alot from the week. Improved my skiing and understanding of what I should be doing. He can be relentless, although it depends on how quick you pick stuff up. Despite being nagged about 'O' frame and continually told about the sartorius muscle it was a great week. Very enjoyable ( which for me is what it is all about ) and with a great group of people. The whole team is great and bring their own ideas to the job.
latest report
ise,
Quote:

I reckon there was only two decent skiers on the course I went on

Were you included in your count wink
snow report
snowbunny, along with Mr Smith, I expect. Very Happy
ski holidays
Bad pisteurs.

ise wrote:

I won't mention that to Sarah! Very Happy

By the way, I was in Verbier a few weeks back and bumped into 4 others off of our course. Quite odd - I never usually bump into anybody I know when skiing.
latest report
If Warren's courses aren't what you're looking for, Phil Smith and colleagues at snoworks.co.uk have a similar setup, a range of different courses and a wider number of resorts that they work in. I've skied with snoworks on a few occasions and always considered the tuition (and the whole experience) to be first class.
snow report
alan empty wrote:
Bad pisteurs.

ise wrote:

I won't mention that to Sarah! Very Happy

By the way, I was in Verbier a few weeks back and bumped into 4 others off of our course. Quite odd - I never usually bump into anybody I know when skiing.

One of the two was Sarah Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

ise wrote:
(if you want to wind him up, ask him about the avalanche control work the Verbier pisteurs did )

So I'm told by my source, apparently he'd asked them to be careful but they just blitzed it.

and if you really want to wind him up ask him why they didn't run the lift up to Mt Gele for the final. Goodness knows why Televerbier want to wee wee everyone off the first time the event gets on the freeskiing circuit.
snow report
justapurrin wrote:
.... Despite being nagged about 'O' frame and continually told about the sartorius muscle it was a great week .......

Just for anybody else who like me was thinking, WTF is a sartorius muscle?
http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/legmuscles/sartorius/tutorial.html
snow conditions
DB,
Quote:

Just for anybody else who like me was thinking, WTF is a sartorius muscle?

AFAIK Also commonly called "The Tailors Muscle". You use it when sitting and crossing your legs at the knee.
latest report
DB, Mrs Laundryman says I'm sartorially challenged and she's a doctor, so she must know.
snow report
It's the muscle that you use to sit on the floor with legs crossed like you had to at school. This is the positions that tailors used to sit in to sew hence the name.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
During the course you do warm up excersises each morning and one of them is to develop the sartorius. I have kept up with that and it has helped with my turn initiation alot.

When he first started talking about it most of the course looked on blankly, except for people who had been before.
latest report
ise wrote:
One of the two was Sarah Very Happy

NehNeh

justapurrin, one of the advantages of the private tuition so far is that they haven't bothered with any of the warm-up stuff. We haven't had a private lesson with Warren though - somehow I suspect he may be a little more demanding!
snow report
alan empty, I've you have a private with Warren you will do the warm up exercises.
ski holidays
spyderjon, yep, that really doesn't surprise me Smile
latest report
Privates with Warren...yep, you get the warm up excercises. They really do help I think...we have incorporated them into our daily ski.

My point on the nagging on about a particular point (though nagging is not the word I used) is that the instruction is not the "try this-shoulder shrug-follow me" style of teaching that I observe in the great majority of ski lessons.
I'd like to be clear on one point though: only do the course if you are personally committed to improving your skiing (I emphasise the word "committed"). If you just want to pick up a few tips and have some people to ski with then go to somebody else. You could spend a whole day with Warren, just doing drills and hardly cover any mileage at all. If you pay attention and put the effort in...your skiing will improve a lot.
latest report
Quote:

You could spend a whole day with Warren, just doing drills and hardly cover any mileage at all

isn't that the case with all good quality tuition? you don't learn much blasting around in your usual way, consolidating all the old habits? I did cover bit of mileage on a Phil Smith week, but very much in between drills and with very small groups and taking it turns to follow (2 metres) the instructor, you were still being intensively drilled (they have eyes in the back of their head - "You're still leaving that inside leg behind"). But we only had 3 hours in the morning - it was good ski-ing with others in the group in the afternoons, or having a rest.
snow report
rungsp, I agree. On my last course Warren was visibly hacked off with a couple of people who just wanted to tootle around, pack in at lunch & then spend the rest of the afternoon in the restaurant bar. What we couldn't understand is why someone would pay good money to go on a 'performance' course & then not bother! Warren commented that he'd turned people away who wanted to learn because the course was full.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
DB, Mrs Laundryman says I'm sartorially challenged and she's a doctor, so she must know.

laundryman,

Mrs DB just says I'm challenged, going into specifics would take too long.
snow report
DB,
Quote:

Mrs DB just says I'm challenged, going into specifics would take too long.

Perhaps we should ask her directly, for a summary Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks all I've been offline since yesterday morning and there is a lot of food for thought here.
ski holidays
I've have been on a Warren Smith course complete with husband. We were 9 week skiers with a fair amount of previous instruction from British instructors. We were split into three groups of 8 and husband and I were in the weakest group. Suffice it to say that we both felt that we learned more from instruction with Easiski earlier this year. As a female tail end charlie I was largely ignored, and I'm not easy to ignore!! I'm sure that you will enjoy Warren's course but in our opinion you can't beat one to one, or two with Charlotte Swift (Easiski).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy