Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traditional skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have just enjoyed re-reading all the above posts, and am generally encouraged (except by those who considered both me and my equipment as 'archaic' and 'relics', suitable only for wall decoration!). There appear to be so many recommendations and counter-recommendations with regard to skis that it's difficult to know which way to turn (in more ways than one!). Perhaps I should have a go at wider-radius turners as a compromise, but the ski tests/comments I read do not seem to address the market of those of us who have passed the years of 'ripping up the mountain'. Blacks and Moguls I can do, but why? I'm with those who go for the fast cruise without too much effort. Afterall, I want to have some energy left for all that table-thumping and Wilhelm schnapps at the Nederhutte on the way home! As a complete aside to this general frivolity, does anyone have any views on moving the bindings further forward (and I don't have access to a Campbell Balancer)? I am often exhorted to 'get my weight forward', as I tend to ski more upright than I should, although I feel comfortably balanced. On carvers, I found a tendency for the skis to dig-in to the turn, which I had to counter by consciously moving my weight forward. Any thoughts? Biggles
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saye, Without seeing you it's difficult tom comment.

What exactly fo you mean by

Quote:

dig-in to the turn

and

Quote:

consciously moving my weight forward

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski,
If you don't understand those of us who like to be on edge of control from time to time running fast straight down (sometimes scared as hell, especially me in thin air Very Happy ), why bother using posting after posting claiming we are bad skiers? How could you possibly know how good we do when carving? The places I normally ski I rarely see people running straight down (and close to never see someone putting others in danger). If I let myself loose from time to time it is always for shorter distances where I can see ALL the slope down in front before I take off. It is lot of fun and I most certainly hope it is one or two speed runs in Ischgl.
I'm not much in favour of discussing this with you, find you abit - well sour....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT wrote:
Certain skis I've tried recently are cr@p in a straight line, these include the B2's 8000's , Monsters, Elan SFX etc. However, the XL will track straight if you should want it to with no flap at all, you don't even have to be too concerned where your weight is, although I would like to think my weight is in the right sort of place. But, if the tips on your skis are flapping a bit you should just get forward a tad more or better still, edge them ever so slightly so you aren't running dead straight....and the only place you should be doing this anyway is on that 4 o'clock run down when you are absolutley knackered and can't be bothered with turns..

I find my skis crap when going straight. Mine are Rossignol Zenith Z1 170cm long and my height are 188cm and weight some 150 lbs. But extremely funny to use pretending I'm in a slalom competition going fast through imagined gates down steep slopes. So I am not to get rid of them I think, only please people like easiski by doing all those nice turns NehNeh
Anyone know about this type?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diverjan, Gotta be the XL's for you Very Happy Keep the Zeniths for days when you feel like being curvy. I'm also taking time to adjust to the more shaped skis, and, like JT suggests, next time out , I will be trying a tiny edge set to cure the flapping Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:

We;re beset here with peeps (not sure if they're actually human) who schuss straight down everything, right through everyone trying to turn, right through the poor peeps on lessons trying to learn. They're all leaning back, wobbling like f**k, and horribly dangerous. Shocked Shocked A number of them are on very tiny skis Shocked

I just don't understand why anyone would want to go straight down the mountain except on paths where it woud be dangerous to turn. I can and do assume it's simply because they're not good enough skiers to enjoy turning, which is what it's all about. NehNeh BTW I tell all the kids this, and when peeps schuss past us the kids go "bad skiers" in disgust - stops them getting dangerous, especially the boys. Laughing Laughing

Hear, hear Very Happy Some people are completely out of control, can't turn and there's no good reason anyone shouldn't say so. We don't have to tolerate or accept things just because someone else says we do Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saye,

A freind of mine has the same problem, in that he doesn't like many new skis and harks back to longer skiinier ones which he learnt on. His knees are in a very poor state and everything points to him being able to get on better with a carver - you haven't got to work nearly so much etc etc, but he just can not/will not get it. He generally goes for a Salamon Exscream type ski which are about 5 years old in design. This appeases him but I can't for the life of me work out why. It should be so much simpler as weight will do the trick in most cases on modern - and better, skis...!!

But for you, why worry about it, plenty of people still use these skis. And on my last trip I would guess the cable car was made up of about 50/50 old to new....which was a huge surprise, but then it was the local holiday.

I think I can handle an old 203 GS ski but why you would want to, I've no idea. If skis hadn't developed hugely over the last 10 years or so you would be asking yourself why not..!!

I'd give it another go if it bothers you but if you can get by with what you have and aren't too tired then you don't have to IMV
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For SKI. By 'dig into the turn', I meant that the carver's wanted to continue turning, so that, if I just held the same edge, the ski wanted to turn uphill unless I consciously moved my weight forward. Of course, one can endlessly debate technique in these columns, and doubtless there's much more for me to learn. My point remains that I am an instinctive down, up/unweight, push the heels round, down to hold the edge, up etc... and round we go. So easy....well unless you put moguls in the way! But back to moving the bindings forward. Any ideas?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some carvers are more turn oriented than others, some like the Elan SFX will want to turn all day which can be great fun but then you have to pay attention all the time. Go for a ski with a GS type radius, about 18m or so....they should have a good straight line emphasis. If you want to bring moguls into the equation you are going to have to accept a turney ski IMV. For crusing around with good edge hold, start with Volkls.

As for the bindings forward, no, keep them stock so they will be useful when you sell them. If you aren't getting forward enough, try and sort that out instead of jigging the binding position IMV.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saye wrote:
............My point remains that I am an instinctive down, up/unweight, push the heels round, down to hold the edge, up etc... and round we go. ..........

If you have no interest in changing your technique, I'd say stick with your old skis, for which it worked.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saye,
Quote:

Perhaps I should have a go at wider-radius turners as a compromise...

It sounds like they may indeed suit you best if you want to skid a lot of your turns. Little Angel

Quote:

I'm with those who go for the fast cruise without too much effort.

Hang about, for that you'd need to carve. Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You could always try the real thing Shocked

edit 'cos I's a plonker

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 28-02-06 11:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saye, Thanks snowHead

Quote:

the ski wanted to turn uphill unless I consciously moved my weight forward

So the back of the ski is gripping for you. This probably also happens on long skis - they just don't grip enough !

Quote:

am an instinctive down, up/unweight, push the heels round, down to hold the edge

This a good way to ski - but it isn't a way to ski

Quote:

without too much effort.

Some suggestions

1) Lessons ! snowHead Changing the way you start the turn will help you stay in the middle of the ski, and prevent the back of the ski gripping at the end of the turn. You'll also be able to ski with much less effort.

or

2) Try some longer 'all mountain' type skis - less sidecut means less carving. wink

or

3) Buy some mogul skis (again little sidecut) Shocked

or

4) Make some Ebayer very happy and actually buy a pair of 210 P9SLs - and impress everyone in the lift queue Laughing

It's up to you of course - but (for me) 1) is the best way to go. I have lost count of the number of people I've helped (at the dryslope) to get past this bump.... hope that helps snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Skiing for me is about speed and learing to control it by going faster. That's just me, my skis and my bike they are toys built for me to take advantage of gravity and trajectory. Deep gentle powder fields i can enjoy bunny hops, Little Angel but it don't make feel the same.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fax those order forms yet?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy