Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing the right ski's --- makes your head hurt!!!! HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am an intermediate skier c200lbs, ( on a good day ) 5ft 10 ins tall. I ski mainly on piste.

Just looking for advice and as others have said glass over when it comes to the choices available.

I have read good reviews in here and on other boards but all the talk about flex and ski lenghts leaves me feeling like I need to take my brain out and just buy according to the Marketing blurb and sales patter.

Please advise chaps also on bindings please,

I have been told in the numerous stores that B2's are excellent.....help Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sugafoot, Welcome to snowHead. Lots of retailers will try to sell you what they consider the best ski, for you. It is unlikely that they will have seen you ski, so their opinion needs to be backed up with you testing some skis in resort, on snow.
I have been testing skis before purchase this winter, and have had some big shocks and surprises. My search goes on Very Happy
Choosing skis is a very personal activity, although marketing blurb, is just that, and should be viewed accordingly, by you drawing up a shortlist of likely models/makes wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sugafoot, a warm welcome to SnowHeads.

Search out the shortlists from this site from similar types of folks, go skiing to a resort with decent hire selection, arrange a deal whereby you get the hire costs credited when you purchase. Try lots of skis. Buy the ones you like best.

Alternatively, if you don't ski that often, why buy at all? Hire instead and put some of the capital into a good boot fitting session.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try and demo some Fischer RX8's if you ski mostly on piste (altho I have seen some sites recommending them as an all terrain ski as well). Wouldn't know how they skiied off piste, as I've never really ventured off piste, barring a bit of a play in the deeper stuff a couple of yards outside the piste markers!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I totally agree with you sugafoot, (hi btw) Having just gone through it all and having brought my own.
In the end I went with the ones that "felt" right and have not regretted it.

snowbunny, is right, it is personal so get your info together but go with your gut.

Good Luck
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are alot of choices for piste skis out there which are all pretty good from fischer rx8 (great prices on ebay), volkl supersport 5*, atomic metrons (slighlty more of an all mountain ski) and dynastar legends. Nordica hot rods have had great reviews. Test a few out if you can. It may be worth waiting till the end of the season to get big discounts. Last year filarinskis.com was selling 5* supersports and bindings for £250 @ half price. check out skiprofis as an ebay seller.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugafoot, I don't know where in Gods Own County you live, but Glide & Slide in Otley have a few decent sets in the sales already, and will lend them to you so you can try them at Castleford Xscape.

They seem to know what they're on about too. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for the advice - Live in Mirfield which means the trip to Xscape is not too bad.

Thanks again

Andy snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugafoot, we had the same problem, when we decided to get our own skis.
We ended up wondering round the snow show last year talking to a variety of shops and manufacturers, with the manufacturers proving really helpful.
If you can test some out before you buy it might prove useful.

Ended up with Tur Loves for Sharon and Head 220i for myself. Both proved excellent on piste in Andorra and will be being used in Whistler in a few days (fingers crossed)
good luck
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't know where you are intending to buy. It makes sense to try in resort unless testing on snow in the uk is viable, unless you see such a good deal on Ebay eg skiprofis. If you are going to buy in resort, it prob makes sense to have some idea of what you are interested in but be prepared to be flexible, for example, I didn't see Fischer skis in Alpe d'huez last year although they did have other austrian brands such as atomic. Ski lengths normally chin high-some skis metron may be eccomended shorter. Bindings - I would go with those reccomended for ski-many now have integral railflex bindings. Find somebody in resort who is knowledgeable and test a number of skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy