Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The most expensive pint

Poster: A snowHead
My friends are in courchevel 1850 this week, and posted on facebook, 2 pints of beer for 32 euros at the Tremplin (their wine list, has a lot of 3 zeros on the end Shocked )

It made me think, where is the most expensive pint in the mountains, who can take that crown (and make sure nobody else makes the mistake of drinking there...)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We only managed 42euro for 2 beers & 2 coffee at Auberge de la cote 2000 in Megeve. (13 a beer & 8 a coffee)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
7chf in Verbier for a large beer on the mountain. Switzerland is just too cheap these days 🤣
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the French will win this one. CHF6.50 is about standard for a large beer here in Wengen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dunno, but at Oslo airport I once bought a pint that cost more than my flight.......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Blimey, I think I'd better move to local, down-to-earth resorts like Wengen and Verbier. Large beer at my local, nothing special, bar-at-the-side-of-the-road here near Lausanne is chf9.60.

Large beer in Chatel (France) is EUR5 or EUR5.50 I think. I'm guessing because I drink halves these days, being a southern shandy drinker, so it's EUR3 for a small one.

I think if you order a large beer in Le Tremplin and then complain about the price, you need to wake up a little more each morning. доброе утро!

For the record, some things in Switzerland are cheap, relative to France and UK. Here's a complete list:
- Petrol around the same price as France. It used to be much cheaper, but the Swiss haven't noticed they're paying far too much since the CHF strengthened. Maybe they think they're getting better quality.
- Beer, wine and spirits in supermarkets. Wayyy cheaper than the UK due to lower taxes. Wine slightly more expensive than France for similar quality, but way better here to buy new world wines. Cheaper to buy Argentinean, Australian wines in Switzerland than in Argentina/Australia. Cheaper to buy whisky here than Scotland.
- Electronics. Cheaper than France but slightly more expensive than UK.
- Err, that's it. Everything else is unreassuringly expensive, especially supermarket meat and restaurants, which are eye-watering.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whenever I've been in Courchevel I've been a bit nervous to actually sit down anywhere for fear of the sticker shock at the drinks/food menu. Fortunately last time I did (with the Wabbit) the waitstaff clearly decided we were riff raff not bothering with and scrupulously ignored us til we got up and walked out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
€9.90 for 500ml stella/1664 in courchevel
€9.90 too for shandy
€5.50 to €6 in most other places in france/switzerland (edit: although the Mutzig in Bar Robinson is pretty good value for money in ABV per € terms, and you won't be drinking many anyway)
€4.80 think I've paid as much as that somewhere in Germany/Austria/Italy, but can't remember where

Just so Austria doesn't feel left out, the most expensive I've managed there was ca. €9 per 500ml of fancy posh craft beer (sold in 250ml servings) in my favourite craft beer bar in Innsbruck.

not been for a while, but in summer they were selling 330ml coke/fanta/etc. for €3, and 500ml for €5 in PdS in summer. given it was 37C, a lot was drunk. which would you choose?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-03-18 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snoozeboy, same in Geneva, Basel and Zurich. Drinks and food significantly higher than in Verbier. Valais pricing maybe? Never understood how the mountain restaurants can make any money
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paid $25 for a JD & Coke in whiskey a gogo (Hollywood!) in 2002 - about £15 back then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do laugh/get annoyed that most places we stop in France the beer is cheaper than a coke/Sprite

Kids seem happy enough with my cost savings Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
24 euros for 2 Leffes (so not even pints) in Courchevel. We did ask for pression but all we got was a Gallic shrug and a list of bottled stuff.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
€3.50 for Schiwasser is a bit of a wee wee take in Austria. Basically water and cordial.
€60 for 4 small brandy’s in Belle Plagne was a bit sore 12 years ago
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
I think the French will win this one. CHF6.50 is about standard for a large beer here in Wengen.

i'd guess that anyone with a knowledge of norway would blow france out the water!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't help noticing that "in Courchevel" appears frequently in this thread wink
snow report
I remember a Fanta being €9 somewhere in Courchevel a few years ago.
(Not mountains, but a beer in the bar on the 31st floor of the Shard was 'reassuringly expensive' too Shocked )
snow report
Chf 80 for two gin and tonics and two small beers in one of the hotels on the lake in Geneva...
ski holidays
Most expensive pint was in Frankfurt airport a few years ago.....................beer was fairly cheap, but we had missed the flight back to Edinburgh so paid £250 for Geneva - Frankfurt - Edinburgh one way in order to avoid overnight stay Very Happy
ski holidays
8.50 Euro at the Barometer Meribel this Dec was fairly shocking for std Eurofizz... No mates rates anymore..
Paid 9 Chf for a small bottle of beer in Morgins when watching rugby and was properly fleeced...

Courchevel has a few of decent places to drink and a few stupidly expensive ones..
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Paid 9 Chf for a small bottle of beer in Morgins when watching rugby and was properly fleeced...

Where was that? M3s and T-bar both pretty reasonable for draft if I remember. I'm not keen on Morgins, but I quite like those 2 bars.

Maybe you chose a bottle of Newcastle brown, in which case you had it coming.
snow report
@snoozeboy, in the T bar , it was some kind of local stuff...
snow conditions
Paid €9 for a beer at the Petit Stop by Hotel Courcheneige in Courchevel earlier this season.

Didn't realise it was that much until I went to pay for the round of 7 beers I'd just bought Laughing rolling eyes

Needless to say, we just stopped for the one and I didn't have to buy another round for a while. Very Happy

Thankfully we were staying on La Tania, which compared to mountain side in Courchevel is certainly value for money.
ski holidays
The ones I drank on the night I met my wife have proved to be very expensive....

But worth every penny Wink

I remember a 'round' of three beers in a French nightclub in Isola 2000 after midnight costing over 200 Francs (over £20) back in the mid 80's
snow conditions
@pieman666, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Drinking pints of Black Velvet in St Moritz is never cheap.
snow report
I’ve never understood crazy pricing of alcohol by resorts.
When I went on my honeymoon to one of the islands on the Great Barrier Reef back in 2000 we shared the ferry to the island from the mainland with supplies for the resort. I could see the slabs of beer they had bought at the bottle shop.
I ordered my first beer at the resort and learnt the price was approximately 5 times what they paid in the mainland. Feeling completely fleeced I had just that one beer for the entire 4 days we were on the island. If the fleecing had have been even slightly reasonable (say 300% mark up) I probably would have had at least 24 over the holiday. The resort would have profited a lot more as a result.
Surely they would learn not to cross over to the ridiculous?
snow report
Oh and while we’re discussing pints (sorry for the naive question - it will be my first time to Europe this coming January) is it possible to buy proper ale in Austria/Italy? I’m not a lover of watery tasting lager or wheat beer.
snow conditions
When I went on my honeymoon to one of the islands on the Great Barrier Reef back in 2000 we shared the ferry to the island from the mainland with supplies for the resort. I could see the slabs of beer they had bought at the bottle shop.
I ordered my first beer at the resort and learnt the price was approximately 5 times what they paid in the mainland. Feeling completely fleeced I had just that one beer for the entire 4 days we were on the island. If the fleecing had have been even slightly reasonable (say 300% mark up) I probably would have had at least 24 over the holiday. The resort would have profited a lot more as a result.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
Oh and while we’re discussing pints (sorry for the naive question - it will be my first time to Europe this coming January) is it possible to buy proper ale in Austria/Italy? I’m not a lover of watery tasting lager or wheat beer.

I prefer ale myself but in my experience the lager you get in a lot of Austrian places isn't watery tasting it's often decent.
snow report
sbooker wrote:

Bit like racecourses, Wetherby about £5,50 for a Guinness -no way- I'll hang until after racing. £4 -oh go on I'll have a couple.
snow report
@sbooker,
Quote:

is it possible to buy proper ale in Austria/Italy?

Yes but you wouldn't want to. Saw London Pride in Sëlva (South Tyrol, Italy) last week. It was keg and on past experience probably tastes vile. I've also seen 'John Bull Bitter' and Guinness. I tried the Guinness, it was undrinkably bad. Austrian bier, Stiegl, Egger, Puntigamer are good as was Forst last week.
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
i'd guess that anyone with a knowledge of norway would blow france out the water!

Yep, and Finland ( and maybe other neighbours?). High alcohol taxes, especially in spirits and stronger beers, rather than sheer tourist prices. Supermarket takeouts only.
snow report
Norway - £24 for 4 cans of cider (pure class I know!).
ski holidays
pieman666 wrote:
I remember a 'round' of three beers in a French nightclub in Isola 2000 after midnight costing over 200 Francs (over £20) back in the mid 80's

Yes I think there was a law in France back then that meant alcohol prices multipled by about 10 after a certain hour. All I remember is paying the equivalent of £6 for a bottle of beer (presumably 33cl) in a Val D'Isere nightspot back in the early 80s. I just tapped that into an inflation calculator and it looks like I paid nearly £30 at today's money!
snow report
@sbooker, Around the Amade region there are a few local IPA's although not always available in the mountain bars. Dunkels are the dark beers, plenty of wheat beers around, there are often craft beers in some hotels, we had a great chocolate stout.
ski holidays
@sbooker, around Monterosa you can often find local artisanal beers on draught. Also, Leffe produce an Italy specific beer that's only about 4.5% bu tquite tasty so much more manageable.
snow report
sbooker wrote:

Yes.
Some ace ones too.

tribaun.com is the one I visit when I'm in Innsbruck. Their taplist is online.

Not cheap, but cheaper than the courchevel prices. But then sometimes the guy on the next bar stool just happens to be the head brewer of what's in your glass.
latest report
Don't ignore the dunkel in Austria - it is not real ale but it is a sort of mild and marginally less fizzy usually than the lager - usually bottled rather than keg. There are a lot of different makes - not so keen on the King Ludwig, if I remember right, it is rather sweet.
snow report
@sbooker, Peroni Gran Riserva is a decent (and strong 6.6%) bottled option to have up your sleeve in Italy.
snow report
It is refreshing (no pun intended) that France appears to be beating the Swiss on this thread. Only a week ago I sent reassuring comment to a potential Wengen visitor that we can get a 500ml draft for 5chf down at Grund station buffet which 2days ago converted to £3.76.......... cheaper than London!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy