Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slight mishap. Tib and fib.

Poster: A snowHead
sequoiaborg wrote:
If one thing is consistent here it is the breakfast. Two packs of Super Dry melba toast and the weakest coffee in Italy.
thats what MrHL got in Agordo hospital. One little prepacked packet and some jam. He got the same for tea the night before. I nicked croissants and cake from the breakfast buffet when i went to collect him.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When J was in Grenoble hospital it was a plastic cup of coffee, and a dry bread roll. I did similar, so I don't just think it is an Italian thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sequoiaborg wrote:
@Val Desire, Susa Hospital, half way between Sestriere and Turin. Apart from the food and a lack of 'nice' painkillers, can't fault them.

Susa is interesting, there are a few Roman remains in the town but I guess you won't be doing much sight seeing.

The x-fix looks nasty, hope it all repairs well.

Unlike Hells-Bells hubbie I had good food in Grenoble hospital (well it was still hospital food) but I had to ask the nice nurse to make is specially for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When my son had smashed ankle fixed (very expertly) in Innsbruck hospital he said the food was grim. And he's not fussy. And he speaks German.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sequoiaborg, crikey I guess you’ve beaten tanker driver there when it comes to his BB injury the other year! On a positive note you could attach some rigging to all that metal work and go wind surfing now Toofy Grin

Get well soon mate!

P.S. How are Italian nurses?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 29-03-18 22:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Matrski wrote:

big needles

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am flying home tomorrow morning on a well known budget airline. Am hoping the three seats booked for me are actually next to each other Smile

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 29-03-18 15:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Injury - awful, food - unspeakable. Glad your surgeon said you should be skiing against next year. Food is one of the great comforts of this life and to be offered such unappetising fare is unforgivable. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hopefully an early return home.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I didnt spot your post re flight home before my post above, you really are doing well on the gallows humour despite the injury. I hope that on said airline they give you three seats not just together but so you can sit with your back to the window with the injured leg on the inside ie against the seat back! Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Matrski wrote:
@sequoiaborg,

Essex would love it here Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buon viaggio, @sequoiaborg.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sequoiaborg wrote:
Matrski wrote:
@sequoiaborg,

Essex would love it here Laughing

It would be like a scene from "carry on doctor" Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually that 'Nurse' above bears an uncanny resemblance to the waitresses in a bar on the Sela Ronda that is a particular favourite of Essex.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
Actually that 'Nurse' above bears an uncanny resemblance to the waitresses in a bar on the Sela Ronda that is a particular favourite of Essex.

The nurse lives close to the Sella Ronda.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Unlike Hells-Bells hubbie I had good food in Grenoble hospital (well it was still hospital food) but I had to ask the nice nurse to make is specially for me.

The remaining meals were apparently OK. It was just breakfast that was really awful.
ski holidays
Send more nurse photos.
snow report
In my limited experience Italian breakfasts are generally awful. Absolutely loaded with sugar - in an otherwise very nice airbnb place we really couldn't cope with a variety of cake for breakfast. And even the croissants (not a patch on decent French ones) are full of horrid, low quality jam.

The coffee, of course, was excellent.
latest report
@pam w, Spot on with the sugar loaded breakfasts in Italy, although the quality of apricot jam filed croissants round here is better than you've had experience with by the sound of it. We were very surprised by the sweet toothed Italians when we first moved - locally they all eat cake for breakfast, and the children go off to school clutching a large chunk of foccacia with chocolate drops in it. I think we are the only people in our village not to take two sugars in our espresso coffee! The enormous slabs of chocolate in the bakery shops make me laugh!
latest report
altis wrote:
Send more nurse photos.

If only you could upload photos to snowheads
snow conditions
Got home last night after a smooth, comfortable and easy trip from Susa.....until we hit the A303. Think I got my money's worth from my Travel Insurance.They really couldn't have done more for me. £18.00 well spent.

Dropped by our localA&E this morning and after explaining what had happened was with an Orthopaedic Surgeon about five mins later! He was actually rather chuffed and interested to check me over. He initally kind of sucked air in through his teeth (like mechanics do when looking at your totally knacked car) but then after x-rays and other tests declared that although he may have gone down a rather different route, the Italian chap had actually done a fine job. He was rather surprised to hear that the leg had been reset and put into traction with no anesthetic or painkiller. He was also surprised that I had been told to keep my leg straight at all times.

The radiology dept were also tickled pink to see my retro 'on film' Xrays. They were passing them around actually sniffing them Smile Our local hoppital have been digital for well over ten years.

So nice to be able to bend my knee again. Will be going for next check up in about a weeks time. All good.

(edit . Related to me being told to keep my leg extended at al times. On day three in the hospital Iwas joined by a lovely 73 year old chap from Essex. He had broken the top of his femur gettingon a chairlift. They gave him a hip replacement a week last Thursday.When I left yesterday he was still flat on his back and had not left his bed since the op except for xrays. Hid insurance co have been a PITA and he's not getting home until Monday. In the UK hip replacement victims are encouraged, I understand, to weightbear on day two or three after the op. That combined with my orders to keep leg extended show the different thoughts and regimes between countries when it comes to rehab. I'm no medic, but my leg feels so much better now I can move it. Also in Italy the painkillers provided in hospital were hopeless. Pharmacies will only sell paracetemol or ibuprofen unless a prescription is provided.Worth considering on any future trips to Italy, pack a load of codiene just in case.)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 31-03-18 20:45; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@sequoiaborg, thanks for the update - really good to hear.

And £18 is remarkably good value insurance too!
latest report
@sequoiaborg, do you still have the external hardware? If you do it'll make a fantastic piece of decor Twisted Evil
latest report
auntie masque wrote:
@sequoiaborg, do you still have the external hardware? If you do it'll make a fantastic piece of decor Twisted Evil

Yes, it is still firmly attached to my leg.

The italian surgeon that fitted it actually told me that it was over 2k euros worth and said that it would be hugely appreciated if I could send it back to Susa once it was removed.

You're right though, could be used for something really interesting. It is a series of universal joints lockedby hex key. Could be turned into a rather unusual adjustable lamp stand with a LED spot.
ski holidays
@sequoiaborg, just saw this today - best wishes for a quick and speedy recovery!
snow conditions
@sequoiaborg, really interesting reading your experiences. I broke my Tib and Fib in Switzerland Nov 2016. Back on ski's Oct 17, week in 3V Jan, off on Sunday for another week in 3V. Best of luck with your recovery and all being well with your bones, hard work and dedication with rehab will see you back on the mountain.
latest report
Get sorted soon @sequoiaborg

I did mine years ago on a motorbike, and I was in plaster for months.
The ironmongery was on the inside then ... also a year or so later it all had to come out again.
Nice Job!
ski holidays
According to latest xray, leg appears to be falling to bits. Orthopod says it is because ex-fix device was put on in one plane only. Probably going to have it rebuilt using a ring ex-fix next week.

NHS have been brilliant.
snow conditions
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sequoiaborg, eek! good luck mate, hope it all goes well.

oh, and you can definitely make a lightsaber out of the leg accoutrement
latest report
@sequoiaborg, Sad Sad
snow conditions
@sequoiaborg,
That's tough, hope it goes well for you this time round.
Good Luck
ski holidays
@sequoiaborg, that must be so disappointing - having to go back to surgery at this point. Hope it goes well.
latest report
What a bummer, so sorry but I'm sure the good old NHS will fix you up like or nearly as good as new and you will be able to ski again next year, the bright side is it is the end of the ski season!
snow report
Somerset leg rebuild.

snow report
I repeat my previous comment - what a bummer!!! I really really hope this rebuild will be entirely successful and you will be back on the slopes next season - I'm sure you will and send you my very best "healing thoughts" and good wishes.
snow report
@sequoiaborg, They've done a much better job of your toe nails than the Italians did Very Happy

Hope this gets you on the mend 🤞👍

P.S. How do the nurses compare to the Italian variety?
latest report
Food and pain killers are much better here. Would be churlish to compare the nurses Very Happy
ski holidays
FFIRMIN wrote:
I repeat my previous comment - what a bummer!!! I really really hope this rebuild will be entirely successful and you will be back on the slopes next season - I'm sure you will and send you my very best "healing thoughts" and good wishes.
+1
snow conditions
Oh god man, that's some even more impressive stuff on your leg now. Certainly more borglike than the last one, I let out a squeal when I scrolled down to it. Have you worked out what it actually does and how it all adjusts on those extenders and swivel-balls!?!??
ski holidays
Seems like the metalwork in going to be in place for 9 months. Surgeon says skiing unlikely next season but should be OK for the following one. Hmmmm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy