Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phone tracking apps.

Poster: A snowHead
Another snowhead gave me the idea of using an old iPhone, putting a sim in to go in my daughters pocket while she is skiing.

I would like to have some software running that I can use to see where she is. In addition would like to do the same on my eldests phone which is an Android. My phone is an iPhone as well.

Which apps do people recommend for this?

I have been trying to use Glympse as a test but that seems to require me to need to respond to sharing request on my daughters phone and appears to drain the batteries quite quickly.

Would rather one which only transmits the location from child’s phone when I do something on mien to say “where are you” and doesn’t require the child to accept the request?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
iski apps allow you track
https://iski.cc/en/index.html

But I think its either going to be on all the time or something that needs acceptance.

Another alternative is maybe iphone own find my phone feature.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mr.Egg, yes I was wondering about that but won’t help with eldest who has an Android phone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wrote my own app to do this called RATA

http://rata-gps.blogspot.fr/

it is more aimed at backcountry use and uses SMS as this is the most reliable communications method when signals are weak or intermittent (I also get unlimited SMS Happy ). You can send a message to a phone running rata and it will respond with the location. It will keep running through reboots.

It is a free app which I wrote for myself but if anyone else finds it useful. Android only. It sleeps most of the time so power use is limited.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 27-03-18 7:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's the Android/Google location stuff, but it's up to ten minutes out of date sometimes. Worth using in a pinch though.

I'm also interested as we are now in the same situation. We've used the Google stuff in the past but I want something a bit more immediate this time out!

We leave Skitracks running to see exactly where they've been and their top speed (so we have a fair idea of how well they're progressing) but that's only useful afterwards obviously.

It doesn't surprise me if Glympse flattens the batteries, but then presumably Skitracks does too, and if Skitracks is already using the GPS it may be what we do. Set up Glympse just as we drop them off at ski school.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sparklies, have used SkiTracks and been pleasantly surprised at how long batteries last with it running Glympse seems to consume a lot more. I was also struggling to see my daughters location yesterday- she didn’t notice the requests come in until after I spoke with her, then after she accepted them I looked a while later and it still wasn’t showing her location. So not sure what was going on there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
I wrote my own app to do this called RATA

http://rata-gps.blogspot.fr/

it is more aimed at backcountry use and uses SMS as this is the most reliable communications method when signals are weak or intermittent (I also get unlimited SMS Happy ). You can send a message to a phone running rata and it will respond with the location. It will keep running through reboots.

It is a free app which I wrote for myself but if anyone else finds it useful. Android only. It sleeps most of the time so power use is limited.

Sounds just the sort of thing I am after - but need cross platform.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can now share Live Location via what’sapp. I like it as everyone has the app on their phones ones location can easily set to be shared with an individual or group.

It deisplay the location on a satellite map which sometimes includes lifts. It’s good enough to get a general idea of a location.

Also use it on long solo bike rides.

Members of our group, of mixed abilities, normally turn it on so we get an idea of whereabouts to meet up for lunch etc. I also use it when skiing alone.

For IPhone
Open Whatsapp —> create new message —> hit the PLUS sign at the bottom left —> Location —> Share Live Location —> Select length of time to share —> hit send arrow.

I believe there is a Paperclip sign on Android.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, I'm with Whatsapp live location too. I've just got to persuade hubby to use it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will investigate WhatsApp - though right now I am preventing it accessing contacts as I don’t want it to have access to my contacts!

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, that's interesting about WhatsApp. We've got the youngest two stupidly cheap (and small!) Alcatel Pixi 4 phones, which run Android 6.0 and can probably manage WhatsApp and Skitracks. But it will be useful for the older two as well to use it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ,

We’re in Sälen now and are currently using WhatsApp live location.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/26000049/

It’s cross platform and doesn’t require user interaction. Just a continuous updated map.

Great for group chat, messages and photos.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve also found Whatsapp live location doesn’t seem to greatly affect battery life.

Of course Mr Zuckerberg will be tracking your every turn!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use Ski tracks for the kids to see where they've been in lessons...

And we use 'Find Friends' on the iphone to track where the family is generally (even when not on holiday). This is constantly on (well, refreshes every minute or so), and doesn't seem to impact the battery.

This is only helpful if you all have iphones, of course.

I am currently waiting for one of these - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ping-the-world-s-smallest-global-gps-locator-bluetooth#/ which was my first foray into 'crowd-funding'... which is an alternative to a full phone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have Kid Control on my sons phone - https://kid-control.com/ . It is available on IOS and Android. It can be a bit hit or miss. Recently I've installed the Google Family Link app on his phone that not only provides location services but also locks it down and restricts things like search. The good news is the parent app can be on IOS or Android.
snow report
Can’t your just use the find my friend feature on an iPhone? It’s what I have for my mum.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Can’t your just use the find my friend feature on an iPhone? It’s what I have for my mum.

Great for iPhone not for the Android phone. nB this thread is quite old and the resurrector has done same to 3 other apps and appears a little spam like to me. Won’t follow their link
ski holidays
for all those control freaks I highly recommend watching Black Mirror S04E02 Arkangel
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5709250/?ref_=ttep_ep2
ski holidays
Ahhh I see @NickyJ,
ski holidays
I used this for inter Android/iPhone location tracking...

https://www.life360.com/
latest report
Me and the Mrs use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.life360.android.safetymapd&hl=en_GB (also available on Apple). Works really well and is free. No delay - I can see her driving up the M5 to see me Laughing

Just seen the age of the thread, but still a useful link.
snow conditions
I just use the built in Where's my friends app on the iPhone.

However, if I want a specific location for the kids, normally when I cannot find them at meet up time in a busy restaurant at lunchtime, then we use What Three Words.
snow report
you can ping your location on whatsapp to friends.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
you can ping your location on whatsapp to friends.

Funny story with that... we tried with my eldest. She very much wanted us to at 11 and walking home over a mile on her own for the first time. But it never worked. Took ages to figure out why not, every time we tested it, it seemed fine. Then I caught my daughter turning off data when we left the house (she was worried about going over her limit), I asked her, do you always do that when you leave the house... yes?. Laughing it all became clear why it didn’t work.
ski holidays
Find My Friends on iOS
Life360 is another popular cross-platform app that everyone with an account can view their locations - we used this between our big group last year and it was pretty great for seeing where on the mountain people were
ski holidays
We use Maprika, which allows you to upload piste maps. Useful.
snow report
@NickyJ, on Android there is a find.my phone feature but you need location services turned on. I used it last week to find my phone which had fallen down the side of the car seat.

Even if the ring is turned off you can make the phone ring for a few mins to find it.

Regards
Bob
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, this thread was over two years ago Happy. As of a month ago, my daughter who had an Android phone had my hubbies iPhone handed down to her.

However that is good to know and thanks. Is this a feature introduced in last two years or was it always there hiding from me?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The walking/cycling app I use, viewranger, has a buddy beacon
latest report
Maybe a bit off topic, but how accurate are the above suggested methods in the backcountry? I was just wondering if we at some point in the future could rely only on our phone in case we got caught and lost in an avanlance.
latest report
Try fatrack
latest report
does anyone know if maprika has stopped as I can't download new maps on my phone (iPhone)
latest report
Not sure if this will work but worth a try.

Apple air tag in each pocket which connects to any Bluetooth connection to update its location. So every time they ski past someone it should update.
For added safety you could also pop a phone in each pocket. Doesn’t even need a SIM card just make sure Bluetooth is on.

Maybe test it first.
snow report
No need for air tags really. Just setup friends/family & you can track through find my phone.
Whatsapp also works, just share your location. Obviously all dependent on wifi/roaming/data etc
snow report
Isn't this what Snapchat is for?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy