Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lots of Skis Being Stolen in Alps...

Poster: A snowHead
@terrygasson, ....goodness me!....highly, exceptionally, unacceptably unprofessional...

Hmmm some members of the instruction community sink further in my estimation...no name or franchise named above I notice

The coaches we use in Switzerland would be very upset about this kind of thing....

P+ssing about on the hill nicking people’s kit is against every code in climbing and skiing of which I am aware....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 27-03-18 20:55; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2 wrote:
@terrygasson, ....goodness me!....highly, exceptionally, unacceptably unprofessional...

Hmmm ESF sinks further in my estimation...

The coaches we use in Switzerland would be very upset about this kind of thing....

P+ssing about on the hill nicking people’s kit is against every code in climbing and skiing of which I am aware....

Why are you assuming it was an ESF instructor?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2 wrote:
@Whitegold, ...not where we are. The market in used skis is pretty slack, I can’t see that bulk thefts make any sense.

Probably selling them in Sweden. The price people want for second hand stuff here is ridiculous.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Themasterpiece wrote:
valais2 wrote:
@Whitegold, ...not where we are. The market in used skis is pretty slack, I can’t see that bulk thefts make any sense.

Probably selling them in Sweden. The price people want for second hand stuff here is ridiculous.

Or filling out the rental stores in Eastern Europe...

how does the saying go in Germany?
Do your business in Albania. Your car is here already.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@betterinblack, grief you are right - I assumed ESF in Les M....will adjust for the ‘all over the internet for all time’ problem....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
O@valais2, my thoughts exactly about the lack of professionalism, though as @betterinblack, alluded to it was not ESF, it was an independent ski school.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@terrygasson, If you were in France you would have got a shrug of the shoulders and maybe a 'C'est la vie'.

......and maybe a night in a cell for causing trouble if you were really unlucky. Shocked Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You do realise....this is Whitegold.....reknown for getting us all going on any subject, but normally the weather!! Take his comments with a pinch of salt! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some buggger took my friends boots from his buildings communal basement ski room last night.

He has BIG feet so not a natural error to make.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive experienced lots of it across the Alps France and Austria , in Vallandry one of the rental shop guys knicked 2 x boards , luckily we knew some influential people and they had an inkling who it might be , so he got a kicking and we got our boards back . In Ronnies in Meribel 2 years ago mine and my mates boards were stolen never to be seen again so i started using a lock . The same mate last year had his board stolen from outside Moosewirt , only to bump into a bloke in the high street carrying his board , a scuffle ensued and then the bloke apologised and said someone has stolen his so he had no option other than to took my mates board . This year in Ronnies ( again ) I locked my board up in the ski racks with another mate and about 2 hours later noticed someone lurking near the boards , being highly suspicious because of the number of times we have been victims , I went over to investigate and 2 x english guys , who looked like and hence i assumed must be workers , had ripped my lock apart ( it is quite easy to pull them apart ) and were just about to throw the boards down the slope , where i assume one of their mates was waiting . They very quickly dissapeared .

So it is RIFE , lock them up , but even that wont prevent a determined thief .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gwatts10, ...rife in particular places I suggest....

In our village, a couple of times each season (over a twenty year period) we have dashed up the hill and forgotten to close the garage door, let alone lock it. In it, it has twenty or so pairs of skis, a couple of boards, eight toboggans and a XC mountain bike. And never been a problem. Famous last words?...changing times?.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you stop at the Mooserwirt put you skis etc in the cloakroom around the back, it only costs €2. In the chaos outside there are many folk who have trouble remembering how to put their skis back on let alone ensuring they have the right skis and poles in the first place Smile .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:

When I climbed with Northerners they had the concept of "booty" - meaning any kit left unattended at the bottom or on a climb was fair game. I don't know if their codes have changed since.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its not Skis that are being Stolen nowadays the thieves have moved onto high value items like

Avi Bags
New Helmets
High End Goggles
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a general theme here. It's the 3 valleys.
Always thought there was a lower class of punter there. 😁
snow report
davidof wrote:
valais2 wrote:

When I climbed with Northerners they had the concept of "booty" - meaning any kit left unattended at the bottom or on a climb was fair game. I don't know if their codes have changed since.

"Crag swag" (items left in situ on a trad route, usually requiring awkward manoeuvres, brute force and swearing to remove) are still fair game afaik, though in this age of climbing forums I'd probably post on lost & found if it was something someone might want back. I'd never leave my phone/car keys in my bag at the base of the crag, but regardless wouldn't expect another climber to touch it, that's just not done. Problems can occur on crags in urban areas, where local bored teenagers don't hold the same standards.
ski holidays
Couple in one of the rental shops in Saas Fee were asking about insurance for their skis before leaving them outside the restaurants and the bloke behind the counter just replied with ‘you need that where I come from but not in this country’

I can’t say ski theft is something I’ve ever considered there tbh. We do leave our skis in the locker which is on the way to the couple of bars but on the hill they are usually just shoved in the snow, poles hooked round them.
ski holidays
When not skiing alone, I always swap skis, it only takes a couple of seconds, and I'm sure it deters the opportunist thief, + idiots who try to take the wrong skis ( assuming they're not too stupid to see it's 2 different skis ).

When alone I use a £2 lock, which has saved me on at least 2 occasions of idiots trying to take my skis by mistake.
snow report
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOCK-AGENT-classic-keys-BLACK/dp/B000KK9SEE?tag=amz07b-21

Been using one of these for years . . .2 mins extra faff at lunch but worth the minimal effort it takes . . .deters both eejits and thieves alike
ski holidays
@lampygirl, Saas Fee, being car free, naturally makes it more difficult to abscond with the skis. Mürren is similar, but we saw two examples of wrong skis being taken in January. Honest mistakes surely, but irritating.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy