Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Name Tags/Locks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have a lovely new pair of skis Very Happy and I am concerned about them being picked up by mistake/taken in the jumble that surrounds the cafe's.

Can anyone recommend some name stickers? I have looked online and the only ones I have found are for packs of 50!

Also can anyone recommend a good lock, thats light and easy to carry etc ?

Thanks for your help
Vanessa
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharpie.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did think of that but the skis are black and I wasn't sure if it would show up?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sparkygirl, The Lockman cable lock on a kind of easy winder thing isn't bad. It's quite easy to use, as you only need to fish the key out to unlock it and you can also create two locked loops-wrap one round your skis & poles and the other round a ski rack. I bought one from Amazon for about 11 or 12 quid a few years ago after b-in-law had his top-end hire skis nicked near La Tania.

Typically, I neglected to use it at Christmas in Flaine (talked out of going back to the apartment for it by the same b-in-law, oh the irony) and after a rather long lunch my brand new skis had disappeared from the rack. Fortunately I spotted the guy who had taken them walking around with them and managed to convince him they were actually mine, though not before a trip to the shop where he'd hired his. Deffo using the lock on my upcoming trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharpie pens now come in all manner of colours
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sparkygirl, is the top sheet completely black? I have black Head skis but the HEAD logo is white, and where my name is
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sparkygirl, i carry something very like this as does the Mrs. one works for two pairs of skis and if we’re in a party, two together manage 5 or 6 pairs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Wave-Digit-Cable-Lock-Black/dp/B001R4BPOI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521914693&sr=8-3&keywords=Combination+cable+lock&tag=amz07b-21

In no way will they prevent a determined thief, but they certainly stop idiots...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy some Snowhead stickers and support the forum or buy a Loqski - https://www.loqski.com/.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sparkygirl, try cycling stickers such as these.

https://www.bicistickers.com/en?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiO2D4cyF2gIVCzobCh2NWgh-EAQYAiABEgKWsvD_BwE
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Awdbugga, +1 I do both these things Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Awdbugga, it going to take much to cut that cable. Good for insurance purposes, I suppose.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sparkygirl, As @Ozboy says - we use cycle stickers with our names on all our skis and poles as well - an ebay search will bring up plenty of cheap options, can get them with a clear background or with solid colour. I stick them on, then put a layer of tough nail varnish over them, overlapping the edges and they really won't come off easily then.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@achilles, i have borrowed a pair of pliers from a lift to cut my cable having uses the wrong one and wrong numbers. Took very little effort.

However, as you say, 1. I could honestly tell my insurance that the skis were locked but more importantly, it deters idiots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sparkygirl wrote:
Hi,

I have a lovely new pair of skis Very Happy and I am concerned about them being picked up by mistake/taken in the jumble that surrounds the cafe's.

Can anyone recommend some name stickers? I have looked online and the only ones I have found are for packs of 50!

Also can anyone recommend a good lock, thats light and easy to carry etc ?

Thanks for your help
Vanessa

I just used a Dymo and created a couple of labels with my name and phone number on and stuck them on. Still there after 5 years.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rental shops will often slap labels on the skis with your initials if you ask, so if you have your own skis then I’d simply suggest a 4 inch strip of duct tape and a permanent marker. Dymo tape may not be obvious enough to deter those who take skis accidentally.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Rental shops will often slap labels on the skis with your initials if you ask, so if you have your own skis then I’d simply suggest a 4 inch strip of duct tape and a permanent marker. Dymo tape may not be obvious enough to deter those who take skis accidentally.

It's the white 5/8 inch width Dymo tape, and about 6 inches long; you'd struggle to miss it on a dark background, and looks smarter than a bit of permanent marker.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy