Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg/Kitzbuhel SuperSkiCard vs. Arlberg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey. I am researching a ski holiday in Austria, for the last week of January 2019. I'll be skiing for 6 days. It will be my first ski trip in Austria and the Alps. I've been looking at the Arlberg region. I recently discovered the Salzburg/Kitzbuhel SuperSkiCard, which sounds like a great deal.

I'm looking for a ski adventure. I want to experience a variety of what Austria has to offer.

The Arlberg area has a number of good resorts and a solid snow record.

The SuperSkiCard offers a wider variety of resorts, including Kitzbuhel, Schladming and SkiWelt. Obviously, 6 days of skiing isn't going to cover most of the areas offered, but it allows one to go where the best skiing is at that time. I would enjoy the drive to the various resorts on this card.

So, is the SuperSkiCard a better way to experience the world of Austrian skiing or is it Ski Arlberg?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@monkbeer, I’ve just spent four weeks out in Austria using the Salzburg Superski card. I’ve skied many new resorts even though I’ve been a few times before. I’ve not even made a dent in the available skiing. I’ve driven out so can get to the resorts on offer but for a six day trip there’s a vast amount of skiing available. I can’t compare it to the Arlberg area as I haven’t skied there but there are certainly many resorts in easy driving distance on the Superski card.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was surprised by the amount of available terrain offered by the SuperSkiCard. I would love to be able to spend a month in Austria, sampling the various resorts!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@monkbeer, The Salzburg SuperSki Pass is vast. I reckon it would take 3 hours to drive from the westerly point (Zillertal) to the easterly point (Tauplitz). For 6 days you would hardly make a dent in it and would be spending more time driving than skiing. Kitzbuhel and SkiWelt are neighbours, but you also mentioned Schladming, it's almost a 2 hour drive from Kitzbuhel!

For a 6-day trip I'd suggest the cheaper Ski Amadé pass, that covers Schladming, Radstadt/Altenmarkt, Zauchensee-Flachauwinkl-Kleinarl, Flachau-Wagrain-Alpendorf, Filzmoos, Hochkönig, Gasteins, you could still spend each day of a 6-day trip in a different ski area but a lot less driving involved. Most of these areas are no more than a few minutes from the A10 motorway. Maximum convenience, minimum faff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queenie pretty please, you are right. You would need about 3 months to get a good sampling of the resorts included in this pass. I marked the larger ski areas on google maps and it would seem you could divide them into 3 parts: Zillertal-SkiWelt-Kitzbuhel, Saalbach-Zell am Zee/Kaprun-HochKonig and then Bad Gastein-Obertauern-Schladming (I skipped a few here). Even then, a full week might not do one of those areas justice.

My original thinking was that if the snow was less than ideal, or they were running an event like the Hahnenkamm in one area, I could go to another area that had the right conditions. The pass is almost like insurance.

60-70 minutes driving each way wouldn't bother me. I thought choosing a central location like Zell am See would work.

The Amade pass is definitely worth looking into though... Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@monkbeer, I have the Salzburg SuperSki Season Pass as I live here. I also ski the Arlberg regularly every season. For six days as you have said the Salzburg SuperSki doesn’t really make much sense.

The Hahnenkamm doesn’t actually impact on skiing much. Indeed since most of the crowd are watching the race it means the slopes are pretty quiet. It does make accommodation more complicated.

Even over six days I’d probably be tempted just to stick to one or two resorts. There’s plenty enough in the Arlberg, though Ski Amade tends to have a slightly mellower feel.

From Zell you can easily reach Saalbach and Maria Alm. So done where in that area might be good, but so would the Arlberg. Plenty of good options. Just don’t spend all your time in a car (not least as if you really want to experience Austrian skiing you might want to enjoy the Apres!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just done 12 weeks on the Salzburger Superski - and still have a list of resorts for another year! I haven't totted up the number of resorts we visited yet, but I have a huge pile of piste maps sitting here. That said, for shorter spells it is not much extra cost, so you could do for example, Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt, and Ski Juwel in one week - lots of skiing and they are close together. Last season, out there for 5 weeks we just had the Ski Amade - and it provided plenty of skiing based in Flachau.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is definitely plenty to choose from. SkiWelt and Kitzbuhel seem like an obvious choice. I'd be coming from Muenchen, so they're a short drive away and there's plenty of terrain to ski. But it seems neither are as relatively dependable as Arlberg, when it comes to snow. Maybe this isn't too much of a concern in the last week of January?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@monkbeer, not really. Arlberg generally more likely to get more snowfall however.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy