Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Drive Down - chit chat

Poster: A snowHead
Good drive to the tunnel - means we’re here earlier than we wanted to be - so got a letter N on the hanger and they’re loading B now....

Never mind - we’ll get there sometime. Driving to Dijon tonight so no rush.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of questions for all you travellers over these busy times. Reading this and the half-term thread there seems to be a lot of complaints about timings and delays for travel on the tunnel but very few about the ferries.
I know there have been delays at Dover due to enhanced French security checks ( The checkpoints are being staffed instead of the usual (for us) drive straight through because there is no-one in the box).

Is this because we are the only Snowheads to use the ferries? (Can't think that's true)
People who use the ferries are more laid back about their travel plans and are not worried so much about timings?
Is it because the ferries are better organised than the tunnel?

Any other reasons?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timc, i think with Tunnel you actually book a Time Window (any train within stated time +/- Fudge Factor) . With ferry (coz service less frequent?) you book a particular service.
Just a hunch - could be wrong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timc, the delays at Eurotunnel will be for the same reasons as the ferry I expect. The recent supermarket incident in France will have heightened security, and it is a peak weekend for travelling.
For the tunnel you book a train time, but have a bit of flexibility in arriving late if traffic is bad.
I usually use Eurotunnel, but have rarely had any problems. Only once, and that was because we were travelling at a peak time. We were switched to the ferry, only to find when we got to Dover that there were delays there too, and the ferry we were told to get at 2.30 wasn't leaving until 4pm. Well peed off.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh good, I'm glad we didn't miss out!!

Children in full whine mode. Six year old with autism repeatedly asking how long is left wink

Older ones (11 and 9) are sacriligously declaring they don't like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Six hours of driving to go!!

(It's not that bad really!)

Looking forward to meeting you too soon, Nicky!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Older ones (11 and 9) are sacriligously declaring they don't like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd disown them now, @sparklies (even if the new Eoin Colfer material isn't a patch on the original).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sparklies, don't think HGTTG is quite right for 11 and 9 yr olds. Not surprised they complaining.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, we use tunnel most trips, and the online booking does suggest you book a particular train, but its really just a pretence. To maintain capacity its more like a staggered queue with first-come-first-served. When its quiet you get on early. When busy you're often delayed.
So it goes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

don't think HGTTG is quite right for 11 and 9 yr olds. Not surprised they complaining

I agree. Wasted on them!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is room in growing minds for a bit of the absurd. Long family car journeys are ideal for forcing something new onto a captive audience, once you've faced down the inevitable whingeing from the back.

My lad @BertieJ was hooked on H2G2 by the line "the Vogon spaceships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't". But then he has long been a fan of R4 smart-back bottom comedy: Mitchell & Webb, The Unbelievable Truth, I'm sorry I haven't a clue, etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the Haute Jura now past Dijon. Just driven the last 3 hours in the pouring rain, so handed over to hubby final final 2.5hrs into Les CAroz. Amazing how many folks exceed the 110kmh when it is like this. Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cheesie168, if you keep going fast enough, you might arrive before it starts raining in LC. It's clouding up fast, but still bright at the moment.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We eventually got to les arcs 20 hours late and are out skiing today. It is almost empty and the skiing was wonderful. The traumas of tomorrow have been forgotten until of course we return.

I think we will leave the skis and niece behind for a more comfortable drive.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

We were switched to the ferry, only to find when we got to Dover that there were delays there too, and the ferry we were told to get at 2.30 wasn't leaving until 4pm. Well peed off.
One GaryFFTours trip we were offered a switch which we declined and ended up getting a train very shortly after that offer. A cynical ploy to try and clear the terminal. Twisted Evil
snow report
Yep we are now past Bourg and road conditions are pretty challenging in the pishing rain. Traffic not too bad, but loads of trucks and plenty of people driving like knackas despite the waterlogged roads and extreme spray.
snow conditions
Phew. Arrived at the tunnel 13:15, 30mins queue on the entry road, then another 20 through passports. Flexi+, so grabbed food and went. Train now rolling at 1435

The queuing lanes were *rammed* Shocked

Long stint through France coming up. Should be at the hotel 11pm. (Theory being: the more time driving today, the more time skiing tomorrow snowHead)
ski holidays
Now on the train - booked for the 13.06 - it’s now 14.46 so an hour and a half delay as they’ve been saying. Next stop Dijon hopefully for dinner at the hotel.
latest report
WE have just checked into our premiere Classe hotel outside Lyon. Not a bad drive down at all - apart from the rain after lunch. I’m just hoping that was snow in the mountains.

Is there somewhere I can check the conditions of the roads up to courchevel before we set out in the morning? There is snow forecast tonight and in the morning. I’m not sure if we are better leaving here early (7ish?) or waiting until a bit later to be sure the roads are clear. Any views?
ski holidays
Quote:

plenty of people driving like knackas despite the waterlogged roads and extreme spray

Yeah, the ones who reckon they can do Calais to Reims in two hours.... rolling eyes
latest report
Got away at 9:54 in end, not so bad.

Smooth journey for most part, now at overnight hotel. Wine time
snow report
@breeze11, resort website likely to have a weather and access bit
snow report
Arrived by 6pm after a couple of short stops. Too much rain on the way down to say it was a nice journey, but no hold ups, so can't complain. Snowing in resort. Settling on the roads already.
ski holidays
@Cheesie168, thanks for bringing the snow, we were only expecting rain. wink
latest report
For everyone driving with kids - adults and kids in our car have really enjoyed listening to the Anthony Horowitz Alex Ryder series (14 yr old James Bond).
Anyone else got any audio book recommendations (already listened to Dahl and Harry Potter)?
snow conditions
We like the David Walliams audio books, he does the reading himself and subtly changes the words to fit the audio format.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 30-03-18 21:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Snowysarah wrote:
Thanks for all advice earlier. Last minute trip to Orelle booked and Eurotunnel tomorrow night! Woo hoo

Do you think we will need chains for the trip to Orelle? Will go via Chambéry and is only 6km off the motorway, and pretty low?

It's a legal requirement and we've just had 4" in La Clusaz which is low....good luck.
latest report
Can anyone recommend a petrol station between Chambery and Moutiers at the sweet spot of as close as possible to the mountains without charging a small fortune? Given we have to go up (Arc1950) down, then up (VT) then down again before a probable refill..

Also, out of interest, how much rain is enough to trigger the 110 rule? As we had plenty of showers, lots of drizzle and everyone carried on the same at 130..

(Currently in our hotel just south of Lyon and debating the chains..)

I did have a lovely long message I tried to post earlier but it got eaten!! Something about how I loved Hitchhiker's when I was ten. And how I'm looking forward to meeting Nicky and family!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sitting down at the Courtpaille at Dijon - bit of a mission to make up time but here now. Wine and steak ordered 👍🏼
latest report
@sparklies, if you would like a copy to try the David Wallims books for your drive back, let me know what format you can play in the car?
snow report
Thanks Nicky! We tend to play stuff on our phones through a 3.5mm audio jack so whatever a phone takes!
snow conditions
@sparklies, we left Les Arcs last Saturday and diesel was about €1.42 ish at intermarché by the roundabout in Bourg S M beforehand the climb up to LA.
ski holidays
@sparklies, 1.35 ish according to @Paula in Albertville tonight but you're well past by now, sorry!
latest report
@Freestyle, try the Skullduggery Pleasant books by Derek Landy. There is an excellent compilation of short stories called 'Armageddon Outta Here' which lasted us to and from the Alps - 9 CDs worth!

We also love the Alex Rider stories, and various David Walliams. The kids didn't want to get out of the car on one trip because they were enjoying the story so much!
snow report
We need petrol, but if the prices aren't actually that bad in Bourg then it's fine. We're staying overnight 50k North of Chambery, so not passed Albertville yet! We just filled up but suspect we will need a top up to make sure we're okay when we get closer.

Thank you!!

PS Is 7am too late to leave? We'd hit Chambery about 7.30..
snow conditions
@breeze11, It's been snowing like billy-o here in Flaine all evening. 30cm forecast for the night. It rained on our drive today from about noon onwards, non-stop and the rain turned to sleet at Arraches, and the sleet to snow just above Les Carroz at about 1500m.
snow conditions
Dan wrote:
Snowysarah wrote:
Thanks for all advice earlier. Last minute trip to Orelle booked and Eurotunnel tomorrow night! Woo hoo

Do you think we will need chains for the trip to Orelle? Will go via Chambéry and is only 6km off the motorway, and pretty low?

It's a legal requirement and we've just had 4" in La Clusaz which is low....good luck.

Orelle is in the valley , 800m altitude, you catch a long cable car up. Is it snowing at that altitude?
If so will need to stop at a hypermarket en route

A few weeks ago we were in Puy st Vincent and in the valley/briancon roads were clear
ski holidays
Onboard the 7:06 Chunnel, check in had no queues and pp control was ok.
Now have the drive to Flaine with as little stopping as possible. Any delays en route I will post for following Very Happys
ski holidays
Parked up in Meribel-Mottaret. Roads are clear of snow all the way up. Cars coming down with a few cm on them.

A quick coffee, then pick up skis when the shop opens, and off we go!

Have a great week everyone. snowHead Cool
snow report
In Bourg, having just bought the massive Kinder Easter eggs you can't get back home in the Intermarche! Petrol price was 152, cheapest so far probably..!

Now for the final climb. Lots of very excited children!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy