Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expensive poles. Restaurant. What to do?

Poster: A snowHead
A colleague I skied with had his skis taken at a restaurant. It was a genuine mistake, the idiot who took them had similar looking skis from a hire shop, my colleague had to go a fair way to the shop to get his back, fortunately it had the ski shop's label on them.

I have my own skis and put brightly coloured stickers on them so no one could accidently confuse them with their own ski's and it also helps me spot my skis when in a rack with 100's of others. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some silly bat attempted to ski off on my skis outside a restaurant in Wengen a few years ago. After about 10 yards and the first turn it became abundantly clear that they weren't hers because her boots were considerably smaller than the bindings she'd failed to click in to Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
king key wrote:
A colleague I skied with had his skis taken at a restaurant. It was a genuine mistake, the idiot who took them had similar looking skis from a hire shop, my colleague had to go a fair way to the shop to get his back, fortunately it had the ski shop's label on them.

I have my own skis and put brightly coloured stickers on them so no one could accidently confuse them with their own ski's and it also helps me spot my skis when in a rack with 100's of others. Very Happy

I find a bright neon sticker embalzoned with the word "Tw*t" is sufficient to assert both my ownership and avoid the "mistake".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I only really use pole straps when racing and I need to get as much power down on my poles as possible at the start. Otherwise when skiing my pole plants are just a light touch. If I happen to need to skate uphill I don't seem to have any difficulty without straps. I often ski with a pair of Leki trigger poles I bought cheap because the owner had lost the straps. If I ski with poles that have straps I just let them flap in the breeze. Useful for hanging up poles on hooks in the shed though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the same poles and use the loqski mentioned earlier in this post, its a little heavy but I've been really really pleased with it and like the extra comfort. In andorra I couldn't be bothered to lock them for a quick coffee and wasn't allowed in a cafe with them so it does happen.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I still have a pair of Life-Link Alpine Extreme Composites. The handles remove to convert to a probe, so at a lunch I take the handles in with me. Nobody going to even accidentally take poles with no handles. The straps also release under excess strain too, so no issue's in trees, or if I am ever unfortunate to get in an avalanche. Going to be gutted when they eventually need replacing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jabuzzard, I've not heard of these ... it sounds just the job.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrLawn,I dont think they are still available though Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah well @Bones better stick to the Leki's and have something to worry about instead of the weather ...
This is a real 1st World Problem Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Indeed Scott took over the brand and discontinued the AEC, and most of the rest of the range for that matter. Thats why I will be gutted when I need to replace them. They where IMHO by far the best poles on the market.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just bought a set of Leki Trigger S Poles before my week in Les Arcs.

I skied in January with a couple of friends who had these and I was getting really frustrated that I had to faff at the top of each lift trying to get my poles correctly attached whilst they headed off down the mountain (or whinged at me for holding them up).

I would say that they are probably the best ski accessory I own now - so easy to use and I definitely wouldn't go back!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried them out at Hemel this weekend and I have to agree with @tonyswift, they really are very very convenient! I could indeed spend a tenner on some from Decathlon, but in terms of faffage, it's a false economy now I've seen how quick these are. Very much worth it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only thing about the Tigger S is that you have to buy the corresponding gloves which makes them quite pricey and restrictive on the glove front. Further if they stop doing the matching gloves for whatever reason then your poles will quickly become strapless ones. Oh and the advertising is a lie, the Life-Link AEC released under a fall more than 15 years ago so Leki's claim that its "The first ski pole with a built-in safety binding can minimise fall injuries." is a untrue.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 26-03-18 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No need to buy the Leki gloves - in fact I can't really see the point in them at all. The straps which come with them just fit over any gloves you already own and clip straight into the poles.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belch wrote:
Anywhere in France - take em with you or lock them
Anywhere else (Austria/Switzerland) dont worry . . .

I've had my poles nicked twice, once in France, once in Switzerland.
latest report
tonyswift wrote:
No need to buy the Leki gloves - in fact I can't really see the point in them at all. The straps which come with them just fit over any gloves you already own and clip straight into the poles.

2 reasons: they make very good gloves, better than hestra in my experience.
Second, the loop in the gloves is more rigid and it's easier to clip in than when using the straps unless you fasten the straps really tight.
If you make the straps really tight you need to loosen them to remove the gloves. = extra faffery. Just my opinion of course.
latest report
Quote:

Second, the loop in the gloves is more rigid and it's easier to clip in than when using the straps unless you fasten the straps really tight.
If you make the straps really tight you need to loosen them to remove the gloves. = extra faffery. Just my opinion of course.

@Roguevfr, If the gloves are good then they do sound like a very good buy - my point was that they are not a necessity as previously mentioned. I may well look to invest in the future if the gloves are that good but couldn't afford both together.

To be honest, I find the included straps to be really good and have managed to fasten them to a fairly optimum setting - I can still get the gloves on and off fairly easily but the loop is very rigid and extremely easy to use.
ski holidays
My mate had a pair of nice carbon poles nicked outside the a bar in Verbier one year.

You could say he was a little annoyed and swore more than really necessary, but stormed off to buy a pair of alu poles at a ridiculously expensive price.

The next day I "moved" his new pair when we were in another bar.

I thought we were going to have to break out the defibrillator Laughing
latest report
Has to be done. Laughing
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
tonyswift wrote:

I have the Leki gloves and they are really easy to use, however I saw a family on a gondola this year with the strap type fittings and they said that they worked well but had additional means of keeping the strap fitting un as they sometimes came off with the gloves, I think it was tape but can;t honestly remember.

Back to the OP's point I always worry when leaving the poles outside a restaurant as they always seem to fall over, but so far they've not gone missing in the 3 years I've had them.
latest report
@Roguevfr, @Mosha Marc,

Based on new evidence -

Never leave your expensive spangly carbon poles unlocked in either France or Switzerland (thinking about it if the Swiss can make a margin on stolen poles then this makes sense as their existence is based on making a profit on anything and everything - eg 'acquiring' lots of dead peoples gold 80 years ago)

Austria is generally ok as they have better engineered poles that yours anyway . . .
snow conditions
When my fancy-ish poles were new, I tried taking them into a restaurant at lunchtime and was told this was not allowed. Can't now remember which country this was, but I've never bothered since. I try and wrap my ski lock cable around them where possible (and I usually lock up my skis, especially in town or at the top of any lift down to town.)
ski holidays
Today lost the 3rd, bottom, section on a black diamond expedition pole. Had been waiting for four hours for bus transport having been trapped by high winds on wrong side of mountain, eventually lift was reopened instead. After skiing down, spotted that two of the clips holding the pole were open and the bottom 3rd of the pole had detached on route down. Seems highly unlikely that 2 of the clips could have caught and opened by accident. Had been skiing and touring on those poles for 5 years without incident. So suspect someone might have got bored waiting for the bus and decided to play with them whilst they were left. Ultimately, my fault for not double checking the equipment before skiing off... though was only on piste. Bit sobering though, wouldn’t want to lose part of a pole on a tour. Any thoughts or experiences of black diamond pole sections accidentally unclipping?

Malicious interference likely or merely maladroit equipment management on my part? Either way, guess the takeaway is to check clips before departing!
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:

Poles go between my legs on the chair. I’d imagine sitting on them to be pretty uncomfortable, and if they are sticking out forwards I think you’re asking for a painful surprise one day if you are day dreaming as the lift bar comes up.

I don't find them uncomfortable. Granted, I don't sit on the handle or basket. I sat on the pole shafts, neatly (naturally) arranged side by side.

I'm not sure what you mean by "painful surprise one day if you are day dreaming as the lift bar comes up". What does lift bar has anything to do with the poles?
snow report
My wife and I have been using carbon poles for 20 years, I am on my second set as I snapped one getting it stuck in the snow whilst getting on a chairlift. We have always just hung these on our skis and no-one has ever bothered with them. For the most part, I doubt your average skier out there would know the difference between a carbon pole and an aluminium one.
latest report
I bought the Trigger S poles a couple of years ago as I was skiing a lot at Hemel and loved the convenience.

But I found I wasn't able to release the strap no matter how hard I tugged and I was concerned about prevention of injury.

Perhaps they are faulty or at that time didn't have a safety release, but I now use them without straps rolling eyes
latest report
motyl wrote:
I bought the Trigger S poles a couple of years ago as I was skiing a lot at Hemel and loved the convenience.

But I found I wasn't able to release the strap no matter how hard I tugged and I was concerned about prevention of injury.

Perhaps they are faulty or at that time didn't have a safety release, but I now use them without straps rolling eyes

I'm pretty sure they would release, but that's why I said earlier I'd prefer an adjustment on the release strength. Still, have you tried to pull the strap out of a traditional pole ? Let me know how you get on with that.
snow report
abc wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Poles go between my legs on the chair. I’d imagine sitting on them to be pretty uncomfortable, and if they are sticking out forwards I think you’re asking for a painful surprise one day if you are day dreaming as the lift bar comes up.

I don't find them uncomfortable. Granted, I don't sit on the handle or basket. I sat on the pole shafts, neatly (naturally) arranged side by side.

I'm not sure what you mean by "painful surprise one day if you are day dreaming as the lift bar comes up". What does lift bar has anything to do with the poles?

I was imaging them getting stuck on the foot rest or something. Maybe it’s not possible?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can someone tell me the advantages of graphite poles? The weight different must be fairly negligible seeing as alloy poles are already pretty dam light.
snow report
@king key, Handy for very quick slalom turns where the lighter weight means you can flick them a little easier. For most of my skiing I prefer alloy poles though.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
abc wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

I was imaging them getting stuck on the foot rest or something. Maybe it’s not possible?

Once you've worked out the distance needed the footrest doesn't touch them. It's a lot simpler in practice! I was also very sceptical,
snow conditions
king key wrote:
Can someone tell me the advantages of graphite poles? The weight different must be fairly negligible seeing as alloy poles are already pretty dam light.

They don't get irreparably kinked by baggage handlers.
snow conditions
moosepig wrote:
king key wrote:

They don't get irreparably kinked by baggage handlers.
But many people have snapped them, it seems to me a misshapen one is probably preferable to one that is snapped in half. Smile
latest report
@king key, in my 47 years of skiing I have trashed many an alu pole but my current carbon ones have been going since 2001 - at about 50 days a season on average...
snow report
One of the guys I was skiing with on the PSB in Dec bought a pair of graphite poles on the Monday and managed to catch it with the edge of his ski on the Friday and cut it in half. He wasn't best pleased with his 120 euro poles.....
ski holidays
@king key, oops. I guess there's graphite and graphite...
ski holidays
I guess so. Smile
latest report
under a new name, mine are of a similar age too Toofy Grin but don't quite get that amount of usage Sad ( I wish tho ) and I'd trashed many alu ones before which is why I bought the carbon ones.
They don't look pristine any more, with bit shaved off over the years but I still love em.
latest report
I think the real measure of effect is trying to go back to normal straps after using Leki's trigger s or its predecessor yellow pluggy thing for a protracted period of time. I've used since ~2005 and was consumed with exasperation with straps when I had to borrow a set of poles as mine were unavailable.

And they will release if you hit em hard enough as I seem to have proven several times.

Used to be nervous about leaving kit around but the lock faffage wears pretty thin pretty quickly and you stop giving a snowHead it.
snow conditions
@Bones, yeah, mine are pretty beaten up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy