Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-Technique Hints and Tips

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm thinking of little things I've learnt over the years from people that are now standard.

The example that made me think of making this thread is buying silica gel sachets to leave in your boots overnight.

Any other minor hints or tips that make a big difference and can become standard for future trips?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm, had never thought of that, where does one buy silica gel?

My tip would be a bad day skiing is better than a good day at work. If you're ever feeling frustrated with how your skiing is going that day, just remember, you could be at work instead! Guaranteed to lift the mood!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just ordered 10x25g sachets on ebay for under £4...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whagwan wrote:
The example that made me think of making this thread is buying silica gel sachets to leave in your boots overnight.

We use them. Just dont forget to take them out before you put the boots on in the big rush to get out the door each morning wondering why they dont feel quite so comfortable as they should or why there are all these little beads rolling around when you take them off.

Rather than buy them on ebay just buy lots of new ski wear each season as they tend to come with one sachet each. Works out a bit more expensive but more fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiers.
Carry a dog biscuit in your pocket.
That way in the event of an avalanche the rescue dog will fond you first.

http://viz.co.uk/2015/12/18/top-tip-skiers/

There's also an interesting ski magazine that is promoted by Viz.
Must get a copy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or bicarb of Soda wrapped in j-cloth with a few drops of tea tree oil , or so I'm told.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or just take the liners out overnight....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My tip is to have a couple of big plastic boxes with lids that live in the loft. When I come back from a trip, once the laundry is done, EVERYTHING ski-related needs to go into the boxes. That way it's easy to pack next time without forgetting anything, or having to search the house for something I've put in a stupid 'safe place'.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Put your liners inside trimmed thin supermarket bags (dying out of course) or thin bin liners before you put them in the shells, can help keep melt water out and makes the liners easier to remove for further drying. Don't do it myself, but Mrs SL insists.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skis get carried on the shoulders, tips down, toe binding resting on shoulder and so that when the carrier carelessly swings around to yell at errant husband, wife, offspring or drunken buddies, they don’t smack me in the face.

Oh, and the carrier then looks a little more as though they know what they are doing...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's wrong with boot dryers or a heated boot room? All the above sounds like very unnecessary faffing Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cos boot dryers just make them smell and the boot rooms are full of humidity

Have used the following for 20+ years
Buy copy of Times or similar broadsheet at airport
On return for day 1 skiing, scrunch double pages up into balls and stuff in boots, 5 or so balls per boot
Boots on spread out newspaper
Next morning remove balls of newspaper, put in boot bag for later, and put on completely dry and on-smelling boots. Have lovely day of skiing
On return put the same newspaper balls (from which the dampness has by now evaporated) back into boots overnight and repeat.
Throw balls away after last use

I do the same for Mrs sev112 and littlemiss sev112’s boots as well, and they swear by this as well
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jonm, fear not we (or rather Mrs SL) deploy the hair dryer type boot heaters as well as the on snow boot heaters - so much for the hardy Highlander.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maireadoconnor wrote:
My tip is to have a couple of big plastic boxes with lids that live in the loft. When I come back from a trip, once the laundry is done, EVERYTHING ski-related needs to go into the boxes. That way it's easy to pack next time without forgetting anything, or having to search the house for something I've put in a stupid 'safe place'.

The missus has just bought a few of big strong Ikea bags for this very purpose... Our loft is like a bomb-site

Are boot dryers really less hassle than moving a sachet of gel from your snow boots to the ski boots when you take them off (and vice versa in the morning)?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whagwan,
Quote:

Are boot dryers really less hassle than moving a sachet of gel from your snow boots to the ski boots when you take them off (and vice versa in the morning)?

Lifting your boots off a dryer takes zero effort. Removing a gel sachet, or several uses a very small amount of effort. No difference really. The real difference IMO is that the boot dryers can remove far more moisture/water than a bag of silical gel can. Both systems work better in a dry environment.

How about a couple of socks/tights filled with cat litter? It would give far better volume of material than a small number of silicon gell bags.
snow report
Maireadoconnor wrote:

yep, I do that...or more likely put it all straight back into the suitcase ready for the next trip until the end of the season
snow report
jonm wrote:
What's wrong with boot dryers or a heated boot room? All the above sounds like very unnecessary faffing Puzzled

+1. I have never taken a liner out in my life. Sometime i put them in the bathroom near the radiator and use boot heaters in the morning if i remember
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Whagwan,
Quote:

Lifting your boots off a dryer takes zero effort. Removing a gel sachet, or several uses a very small amount of effort. No difference really. The real difference IMO is that the boot dryers can remove far more moisture/water than a bag of silical gel can. Both systems work better in a dry environment.

How about a couple of socks/tights filled with cat litter? It would give far better volume of material than a small number of silicon gell bags.

One step ahead, my silica gel sachets from ebay are 25g rather than the 2g ones that are generally included with gear...

I suppose I've always been on too much of a budget to have a locker with boot dryers!
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, Similar but use the ski suitcase to put everything back in!
snow conditions
Always carry cash
latest report
I use Dryzones in my boots overnight if there are no heaters, and for long term storage. Never had a problem.

Top tip: cut your toenails.
snow report
Love the dog biscuit one!

One I just learned on Monday night after trying to break up a fight - don't get a broken nose 2 weeks before the ski trip.
snow conditions
Forget the night life. Get smashed at apres ski and be in bed for 9pm. Have no problems being on the slopes by 10pm the next day! (god I feel old now)
ski holidays
Disaster wrote:
Forget the night life. Get smashed at apres ski and be in bed for 9pm. Have no problems being on the slopes by 10pm the next day! (god I feel old now)

10pm Laughing
ski holidays
Can see why you chose the name Disaster!!
snow conditions
Disaster wrote:

That's pretty much how it works Laughing
snow conditions
Disaster wrote:
Forget the night life. Get smashed at apres ski and be in bed for 9pm. Have no problems being on the slopes by 10pm the next day! (god I feel old nohw)

Spoke to a couple of teenage irish lads today and that's what they have been doing
snow conditions
Boots on dryers toes up, it’s amazing how many default to toes down
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Maireadoconnor wrote:

yep, I do that...or more likely put it all straight back into the suitcase ready for the next trip until the end of the season

Me too, either boxes or the suitcase after washing - the ski gear is about the only organised thing in our house!

Always carry chocolate or something on the slopes, as pole throwing, top of precipice tantrums will occur otherwise (we get hangry...)
ski holidays
Whagwan wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Whagwan,
Quote:

One step ahead, my silica gel sachets from ebay are 25g rather than the 2g ones that are generally included with gear...

I suppose I've always been on too much of a budget to have a locker with boot dryers!

I did stumble across an article/post suggesting you need c.200g per boot. You’re still a bit short. Incidentally, did yo7 know that your 10 sachets of 25g silicate gel have a combined surface area of 200,000 square metres! Clever stuff.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 15-02-18 21:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
In terms of boot drying (with people here suggesting newspaper / silica gel / etc) I still think Boot Bananas are the best way:
https://www.snowandrock.com/p/boot-bananas-boot-bananas-F1964005.html?channable=e14331.MTM3NzM2XzE1MQ&colour=151&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_JTUBRD4ARIsAL7_VeU7_xMg-RH1TP1O4mF76dmN-6WsGbmu5Quw1ce7ePMs1BpJkLqJumcaAqvqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
ski holidays
sev112 wrote:
Cos boot dryers just make them smell and the boot rooms are full of humidity

Have used the following for 20+ years
Buy copy of Times or similar broadsheet at airport
On return for day 1 skiing, scrunch double pages up into balls and stuff in boots, 5 or so balls per boot
Boots on spread out newspaper
Next morning remove balls of newspaper, put in boot bag for later, and put on completely dry and on-smelling boots. Have lovely day of skiing
On return put the same newspaper balls (from which the dampness has by now evaporated) back into boots overnight and repeat.
Throw balls away after last use

I do the same for Mrs sev112 and littlemiss sev112’s boots as well, and they swear by this as well

Great idea sev112 - you can get a complementary copy of the Times at Manchester (minus the glossy saturday mag), or the Sun, should you so wish Very Happy
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:

I did stumble across an article/post suggesting you need c.200g per boot. You’re still a bit short.

Silica gel can adsorb up to 40% of it's weight in water so I'd say 80ml of water per boot is a bit excessive. This isn't some new experimental idea, this is what works for me.

If other people think newspaper works (and it does) silica gel will adsorb a lot more moisture.
latest report
You get a free bottle of drinking water with a Telegraph at most airports.

So you can always top your boots up a bit if they get too dry.
snow report
Another Tip:

The best way to get your skis on is (if your right footed)
1) Stand with both feet on the "port" side of the skis.
2) Poles planted in the usual position astride the skis.
3) Take your left foot around the front of the right leg, kick any snow off the base of boot on front binding.
4) Click into the "port" side ski.
5) Just step into the bindings of the other ski after you've cleared any snow off your boot on the binding.

If your left footed ... that's hard luck.
ski holidays
Clap! Clap!
latest report
Well it took me about 5 ski trips before I realised that I didn't know how to buckle my boots up properly. So learn how to buckle your boots is probably my top tip.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, does it matter which 'footed' you are?

I agree with your technique, but I'd just describe it as...

1) Stand downhill of your skis
2) Take your downhill leg around the front of your uphill leg and clip into the downhill ski
3) Take your uphill leg around the back of your (now clipped in) downhill leg and clip into the uphill ski
Job done

It's definitely a good technique when stepping in on an incline but I don't think left/right specifics matter.

EDITED because I wrote it all the opposite way around to what it was meant to be.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 15-02-18 21:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Disaster wrote:

That weird feeling of checking the time after 6 pints to discover it's only 7.45pm!
ski holidays
@dp, are you sure? Putting the uphill ski on first sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy