Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Agree, I tried some SK2's, too thick for me, so the SK4's should be ideal. Current boots were done in my thin ( worn out) smartwools,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can’t wear wool - Colin sells some Monnet socks (black and orange) which don’t have any wool content. Can’t fault them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Falke SK4

I have 3 pairs. As does the Mrs!

You can sometimes pick them up in TK Maxx.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Not something I've paid loads of attention to but I think could be quite important!

You are right. They are not that important. Just use orinary socks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Not something I've paid loads of attention to but I think could be quite important!

You are right. They are not that important. Just use orinary socks

I suppose it depends on your feet and boots. My old ski boots were a bit too big for me, and any pair of socks worked really well. I used Bridgedales. My new boots are a much closer fit, they're fantastically more fun to ski with but my socks were too thick - my feet always felt pinched, cold, and uncomfortable. My bootfitter asked me to try new socks before they would blow out the boot - I switched to Smartwool Ultralights and have been in boot bliss ever since.

So what counts as "not that important" really depends on you. Skiing is (for me) a very expensive hobby, but in the grand scheme of things the £20 I spent on a pair of good socks is not that important.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just resurrecting this old thread about socks as I'm not sure what I should get.

I am a novice skier, but I am trying to ensure that I avoid cold toes/feet and have some comfort. I am interested in the compression variety as I expect my legs will not be used to the rigours of skiing all day! I will be renting boots, so don't have any fancy fitted kit.

Would I be better off with SK2 or SK4 or SK4 Compression, in your experienced opinions?

Thanks all!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a nice resurrection! I'm still using the SK4's I bought five years ago, I use them exclusively for skiing and they're still great. I suspect the boot makes a bigger difference for cold toes than the socks do - what I want is just really thin socks that don't bind or crumple up. Don't over tighten the midfoot of the boot to allow good blood circulation to the toes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjstua wrote:
Just resurrecting this old thread about socks as I'm not sure what I should get.

I am a novice skier, but I am trying to ensure that I avoid cold toes/feet and have some comfort. I am interested in the compression variety as I expect my legs will not be used to the rigours of skiing all day! I will be renting boots, so don't have any fancy fitted kit.

Would I be better off with SK2 or SK4 or SK4 Compression, in your experienced opinions?

Thanks all!
how much of a novice are you? IMO, SK4 will give you the best feel but won't keep your feet warm if you end up with poorly fitting boots... They also won't soften any uncomfortable edges or seams in the boot liner if there are any. As a beginner I'd probably stick with SK2 while you're using hire boots - I don't think the feel of a thin sock is going to help you (or even be noticeable) over comfort and warmth.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Novice in the sense that I've done 1 week of skiing in the last 5 years. Perhaps beginner is a better description?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They don't do an SK2 Compression, but they do have an "SK", doesn't appear to be as padded as an SK1(which I think would be too thick). Seems to sit between the SK2 and SK4, but a compression sock.

https://www.falke.com/uk_en/p/sk-compression-wool-men-skiing-knee-high-socks/16567_3171/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn-2tBhDVARIsAGmStVkJAC2Z4JZwggZ1Uf-CEKXdwg3sCRNXoE0H77A7f5mnxOtW4P7c7DgaAjmeEALw_wcB
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smartwool
Falke
Decathlon merino

We tend to wear until crunchy.
Then wash in shampoo.
Then dry in the sun.

We are heathens.
Expedition habits.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@valais2,
Quote:

We tend to wear until crunchy

Bleughh Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After reading advice on this venerable site I wear Falke SK2. Best socks I've ever had, no more sore bits on toes or inner ankles and warm enough for January skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle, yep…
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another fan of the falke socks, warm and they don't bunch. Having said that I'm currently using 40 denier knee high tights and my feet aren't cold at all - it's all down to boot fit!
snow conditions
Late to this thread, but go Merino, all the way. I've got half a dozen pairs of Icebreaker ones, dating back to ten years or more, and they're still doing a great job. Two or three days wear between washing, if you need to, so just a couple of pair fors a week's holiday is all you need, without worrying about washing them. Or, TBH, just one pair for the week if you're not too sweaty.

Not tried the Decathlon ones, although I'm a fan of most of their stuff, just haven't needed to buy any for such long time.
snow report
I use Sidas ultra thin socks for first couple of days then gradually thicker proper ski socks after my boot liners have packed out. I’ve always found it worth getting proper ski socks with L and R fit
snow conditions
Crinkly bottoms are a definite problem.

I’ve always been astonished at how much socks can make a difference to the feel of a boot. But as my technique has improved over the years it’s more a question of comfort than performance. Mostly an adjustment of clips takes up slack or responds to the marginal increase in volume.

But sometimes that issue of comfort can be important. I have one pair of expensive socks which can ball up underneath my foot. That’s a significant pain and detracts from concentration.

What else other than crinkliness?

Wetness.

With 20,000 sweat glands on each foot, it’s vital to wick moisture away to avoid cold feet, and in my case I have had minor frostbite through over-tight boots and poorly wicking socks. Problem is there’s little escape for moisture from a plastic boot so I do tend to run thicker rather than thinner socks.

Just how important are socks in performance?

Well this incident perhaps gives an insight. The Grom18ans was skiing as usual (ie at a stupidly high level of competence) but at lunch he said ‘These Atomic boots seem weirdly tight but loose at the same time’ - which led to us scratching our heads a bit - but off we went, with him as usual coming past me backwards at speed with a huge grin. All became clear later. We’d put almost identical 25 liners (which were completely trashed) from another pair of Hawk’s into the Grom’s 26 boots. Oops.

Which proves… not a lot really
ski holidays
Another vote for Falke

@Layne, i went through a similar phase of trying to find the right thickness (i.e. the same thickness as the sock I had when I got my boots). Falke at least categorise their socks by thickness which is really handy i.e.

Medium cushioning for comfort and control
Light cushioning for great control
Ultralight for pro skiers

https://www.falke.com/uk_en/men/sports/sports-socks/ski-socks/
snow conditions
@Awdbugga,
Quote:

buy the same socks you wore when you had your boots moulded.

Exactly. I bought my Falke SK2s at the same time as I bought my boots (and liners) from S4F, in 2009. Nigh on 40 weeks on snow since then and everything is still going strong. And my feet very rarely get cold and when they do it's usually at Hemel, where they stay on the snow all the time, without any respite in lifts.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, 2009?….???!?

15 year old socks?

GOSH

Time to start a ‘how old are your socks’ thread … maybe
latest report
Another vote for SK4s
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy