Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One dead, two missing in Spanish mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Slightly off-topic but it highlights how cold it has been the last few days. Three Dutch walkers have frozen to death in the Sierra Nevada in Spain according to the Civil Guard (SEREIM). Rescue workers were alerted at around 9pm by guards of the Granadino Park that a group of 10 dutch walkers had not returned.

The group was found on the slopes of the Mulhacén (3497 m) the highest summit in continental Spain. They had abandoned two women for dead, rescue workers have still not found the bodies. The remains of the group were transfered to Poqueira refuge an hour away. The weather was described as extremely windy and very cold with snow. A man, suffering from hypothermia, died at 5h30 and another person is in a serious condition but said to be out of danger. The guards had already warned the group, said to be inexperienced and elderly not to venture into the mountains. There have been 22 deaths in the Spanish mountains this winter.

In June 2002 four walkers were caught on the Corsian Haute Route (GR20) by a snowstorm and one died of hypothermia.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very sad indeed, but amazing that the group allegedly ignored an official warning.

If one nation in Europe knows about natural adversity it's Holland. I'd take any flood warning from a Dutchman very seriously indeed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm generally finding it amazing how many people are ignoring official warnings, as I'm sure this isn't the first article this winter that I've seen on this site where the unfortunate person has ignored warnings. Are people just oblivious to information around them or do they think they are invincible?
As a beginner I probably was oblivious but i followed the crowd. Now I'm getting more experience I take into account things like avalanche/weather warnings in skiing and walking. Is it the case that beginners are 'having a go' at inherently risky activities without even realising the risk????
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well if I look back at my getting-towards-youthful skiing and walking I can
see that basically I was kinda lucky really...
But alot of people do get lucky. A few dont.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Davidof's article from hypothermia.org
Cameron C. Bangs, M.D. wrote:
No previously healthy person should die of hypothermia after they have been rescued and treatment has been started
Wow! I wouldn't want to work for this guy! I admire his high standards, but hypothermia can be very deceiving. As he says treatment must be started immediately, but moving these patients can be very tricky. The previously fit can survive to extremely low temperatures, but such low temperatures make you very unstable when moved. Cardiac arrest can strike any moment until the temperature is back above 28-30.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in the area a couple of years ago in the Summer and were told by locals that the snow can fall really late up there, and Summer is quite short.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think most people are just oblivious. If there are general public warnings they just don't notice. Travel companies never point out where avalanche danger levels are displayed or what the warning flags mean. On the other hand many resorts are partly to blame because they cover themselves by just leaving warning flags out all the time, even when danger levels are low. (the signal lift at Val d'Isere, which accesses alot of off-piste is a good example). Consequently people learn to ignore them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy