Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow shoes

Poster: A snowHead
For bad weather days we've noticed that increasing numbers of people in our village are going snow-shoeing. These things seem to start at about CHF70 at Decathlon, and obviously you can pay way more if you want to. Any recommendations for snow shoes? And any advice for beginners?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The basic Decathlon ones should be fine - snowshoes (raquettes) are also very cheap to hire in-resort. Even the basic ones have heel lifts to make walking uphill easier. What's more important for beginners than choosing between styles is to have really robust footwear to strap into the snowshoes and, if you intend to go off pisted trails, gaiters. And, of course, long poles, if possible
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never tried it, as a skier there are other options, seen many snowboarders use them though.

Looks like hard work, I think the knees need to be lifted quite a bit each step. Better than sinking of course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, thanks, I will get some. Who knows, it might even snow before long!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Taking up snowshoeing a few years ago transformed our winter holidays. The exercise is great as it's much more consistent in terms of effort and, in the main, you're much less likely to be injured from a fall or someone crashing into you. We now snowshoe on days when the weather is grotty or the pistes are busy and it's much more rewarding than putting up with poor conditions: we realised that we were often going out because we'd bought a period pass and 'wanted to get our money's worth'. So in inconsistent weather, we'll tend to buy day or shorter passes, but not use the lifts when we snowshoe, saving the cost of an unrewarding day's skiing. We find we can really get away from the crowds quite fast, and do this much nearer to the resort - in a short time, you're away from the pistes often in enjoyable isolation, but without having to trek a long way from where you're staying.

We got our shoes in Decathlon. It's useful to understand when you do and don't unclip the hinged soles. Start on easier local trails as it can take longer than you think if you're on tracks that you walk over in the summer. And carry your shoe bag with you as it's much safer/easier to carry the spikes shoes in a bag if you decide to hop on the navette. and re the bus - you'll probably find that you can use the free bus to get to/from a lot of the routes without having to do a strenuous climb/descent.

This isn't to say that we dislike skiing, we still do, but it's just that snowshoeing is a great complementary activity to have as an option.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A good walked, ruined Happy

or is that golf?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A good walked, ruined

It can be, and I do wonder when I see people in snowshoes on groomed trails which are perfectly navigable in a sensible pair of walking boots. I suppose it just gives them that Nanook of the North feeling. But I well remember the first time my OH and I trekked off with our snowshoes and a picnic lunch, through forest pathways we used regularly at non-snowy times of the year. We took the snowshoes off, to sit down and have lunch, and unthinkingly I jumped up to take a photograph - only to immediately fall in. How the OH laughed, with his can of beer. Snowshoes make deep snow possible (though they don't make you immortal and avalanche danger is an issue. A group of snowshoeing school kids was avalanced in the nordic ski area of Saisies some years ago (a cautionary tale told me by a nordic instructor with whom I was trekking the trackless wastes between two blue pistes).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I lived in the Alps i'd definitely use them, ski touring also, otherwise sadly time's too precious, prefer down currently not up.

I guess they might be hugely popular this year, and consequently in short supply - always looks fun for hikes etc on a moonlit evening etc. Taking care with av terrain obviously.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

A good walked, ruined

It can be, and I do wonder when I see people in snowshoes on groomed trails which are perfectly navigable in a sensible pair of walking boots. I suppose it just gives them that Nanook of the North feeling. But I well remember the first time my OH and I trekked off with our snowshoes and a picnic lunch, through forest pathways we used regularly at non-snowy times of the year. We took the snowshoes off, to sit down and have lunch, and unthinkingly I jumped up to take a photograph - only to immediately fall in. How the OH laughed, with his can of beer. Snowshoes make deep snow possible (though they don't make you immortal and avalanche danger is an issue. A group of snowshoeing school kids was avalanced in the nordic ski area of Saisies some years ago (a cautionary tale told me by a nordic instructor with whom I was trekking the trackless wastes between two blue pistes).

I see a lot of people snow shoeing on hardpack, well if it makes them happy. The best bet then is to have those little crampon thingies - I bought the missus those last winter and she was much happier walking around even though she never really had much of a problem - she's always amazed when I walk straight across sheet ice without falling over (the secret is I don't, I walk on the bits with some grip).

Snowshoeing in deep snow is... tiring. Which is probably why people stick to trails - including one of our cross country ski trails, especially the classic tracks. I found a whole family stomping up the classic tracks last winter "you know those are classic ski tracks?"
"Yes", replied the day "we're following them to the summit". Yes cretinism is alive and well in the Alps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've a couple of pairs of Inuit 450s, one up from Decathlon's base model, perfectly adequate. Nice to do pre season if there's an early dump or with a non skier. This was exactly a year ago today after an early dump. First tracks on what is a summer hiking path which I know so was comfortable taking.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I found a whole family stomping up the classic tracks last winter

rolling eyes I like little crampons on icy pavements too - I feel much more vulnerable to falling on an icy pavement than falling on a snowy piste, where you generally aren't carrying a pile of shopping or a tarte aux pommes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a pair of Tubbs Flex RDG that I bought 3 to 4 years ago.
They are used when there isn't enough snow to ski tour but there are patches of snow in the mountains. i.e. Grip and ease of use was more important than float. (Powder = skitour or freeriding)
Snowshoeing is basically a way for me to get fit for the ski touring season in the mountains within 2 hours drive of Vienna, typically at the start of the winter season. (Oct Nov & Dec)
Once went up the Großvenediger (3666m) in snow shoes but it was a much longer day than with touring skis - the descent takes much longer.

Snowshoe test here ...
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-snowshoes

From my experience of deciding what to buy here's my 2 Euro cence ....

Different snow shoes have different weight limits. e.g. 90, 100, 110, 120 kg etc.
Some snow shoes are a lot of work to put on with more straps that a suspender belt and harder to work than a bra. Worth checking to see if you can put them on with gloves. (One of the reasons I went for the Tubbs Flex RDG was the boa fasteners)
Best to try the boots you will be using with the snowshoes. (e.g. I have small feet so the women's model worked best for me. My boots were much more secure/stable in certain snowshoes than others.)
As with skis, some snow shoes are better for ice (more agressive teeth) whereas others are better for powder (larger surface area).
Some snow shoes have heel lifters to aid walking up steeper slopes.

http://youtube.com/v/vsco4SkXSTc

From my experience of using snow shoes ....
Snowshoeing can put a lot of strain on your knees.
Poles are important. Telescopic with large snow baskets and a long grip are the way to go. (The optimal pole length for you may be different for ascending and descending, long grips help when traversing across a steep slope)
Snowshoe routes will often be the reverse direction of the ski touring route. (Steep up, gradual steepness down)
It's bad etiquette to walk in a ski touring track as you will mash it up.
Gaitors keep the snow out and protect your legs/pants.
Snow shoeing in the dark is not much fun.
Avalanche gear should be carried (along with a knowledge of how to use it) where there is enough snow to cause an avalanche.
Groups should space out on tricky terrain to spread out loading on the snowbase and avoid an avalanche
There are various snowshoe techniques, many of which I've not been able to master

http://youtube.com/v/CpIYXKwe0JY

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 10-11-20 12:08; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a pair which I take with me strapped to my day sack-they are light and easy to carry, so I don’t need to walk with them 100% of the time if I’m on firm pisted footpaths for some of the way. I think more and more people are getting into snowshoe walking- and if you try and hike in ordinary boots on well trod snowshoe tracks, you are likely to find yourself sinking! They definitely worth having, though they are cheap to rent too!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you so much for all this advice!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We found it took a while to get our eye in re snowshoe trail markers, and in interpreting the snowshoe trail maps and profiles. In the 4 Vallées, the markers are pink, snowshoe-shaped, about 25cm long and pinned to the trees, and carry a route number that corresponds to the map. In our area, there are fewer of these, compared to the yellow summer signs, and the snow trail signs don't carry any sort of time indicator like the summers. So you have to get used to your route being confirmed/indicated much less often than when walking in the summer. The good thing about our trails is that in the main, they are separate to the pistes, which is good. But in a couple of places they do cross a piste and then you have to be really careful. And where the terrain is more open, just be alert for freeriders who might not be expecting a winter trail to be crossing their path (this is one reason why we stick to marked trails - because freeriders are generally pretty good, and aware of the routes).

Where we are, quite a few marked routes use the navette to get you out of the village centre and up the first 100 vertical m by-passing what would otherwise be a less interesting section.

A common initial mistake is to overestimate how much you can climb vertically before you get really tired: it's a good deal less than when walking in the summer: so if you struggle with a 300m vertical route in the summer, then halve it for snowshoes - at least until you get a better idea of what you're capable of. Remember, unlike skiing, you have to lose that vertical gain walking downhill, which can be just as tiring. But I don't mean to put anyone off - it's more a case of just adjusting your expectations and map-reading from walking and skiing - the upside as I said is that you can have a great excursion relatively close to your resort; quickly get away from the crowds but still be near home; and save the cost of a day's skipass. And it's excellent exercise that is very steady in terms of the workload on the body.

And you'll also find that having a pair of snowshoes can also be useful just within your village when the snowfall is heavy and/or you get those treacherous snow-on ice (or just plain ice) conditions en route to the shops etc.

ski holidays
@LaForet, so if on snowshoes why not walk on the side of the road in the deeper snow rather than along it?

Nothing worse than having a load of pedestrians on the road like the ones up ahead in front of the car when conditions are like that and as I'm sure you appreciate with your many posts about all things driving in the mountains that's the last thing you need when conditions are like that!

Surprised you even posted that photo?
ski holidays
@Weathercam Wow. What's the beef? Don't you think you're being a bit judgemental? I just meant this as a bit of light relief. It's odd that you should comment as you did when you have no idea at all of the context of the photo:

The pedestrians ahead aren't pedestrians. They're skiers. They've just come down the piste run by the sign and are crossing - carefully - to drop down the other side back home. And the car ahead is parked, picking some people up. And the bollards are there to show drivers that skiers cross the road at this very point, so need to be aware it's a busy spot for pedestrians. It's also where the navette stops. And it's where the steps from the télécabine come out and there's a pedestrian crossing to the underground parking opposite. So no one is going to be barrelling along here unaware that it's a mainly pedestrian zone.

And to paraphrase a famous character, I believe that I can post what content I think suitable, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected to me.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-12-20 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LaForet, sorry if I came across a bit angry but it's really a pet hate of mine, pedestrians & skiers in the middle of the road when conditions are like that, and to allow skiers to cross the road like that is a recipe for an accident.

I've never come across anywhere where that is allowed if it's one thing that is interdit in many a resort and that's skiing on the road!
snow report
I think you need to realize that people have to get about as well as car drivers, and if you can't deal with it, then maybe stay home? People walk where you have to walk, they don't do it to annoy car drivers, who perhaps need to show a little consideration for others?
ski holidays
@philwig, that's why you end up with gridlock in ski resorts in those conditions as people who merrily walk in the road don't realise that cars* then have to keep stopping and then often can't get traction to get going again, I've seen it so often!
It's a real pain when trying to get to do first lifts and the idiots are walking up a hill on the road causing carnage behind them rather than use the sidewalk.

*often driven by people that are not use to driving in snow
snow report
sidewalk*

*Pavement snowHead
ski holidays
had a good bit of fun walking in them in Norway, could not go skiing where we were so went for a hilly walk, half way we stopped at a refuge for a beer etc.. would do it again if not able to ski
snow conditions
@Weathercam Hey, no probs. The subtleties of a conversation get erased in a post ... and I know what you mean about pedestrians/skiers not appreciating that even with the most considerate driver, vehicles in snow/slush simply can't respond as easily as on tarmac, and cars are often trying to keep momentum going, especially uphill. But I also understand @philwig's point. In fact, I agree with everyone.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@philwig, that's why you end up with gridlock in ski resorts in those conditions as people who merrily walk in the road don't realise that cars* then have to keep stopping and then often can't get traction to get going again, I've seen it so often!
It's a real pain when trying to get to do first lifts and the idiots are walking up a hill on the road causing carnage behind them rather than use the sidewalk.

But isn't the very definition of a "resort" or village are places people walk merrily around? They cross the road to visit a shop on the other side, they stop in the middle of the road taking photos at a "unique angle"... And in winter, they walk where the footings are best.

I found this train of thought of village pedestrians impeding the flow of traffic "trying to get to do first lifts" rather disturbing. Come to the middle of America. You'll see "village" after "village" that are nothing but a gas station and a post office. No shops, no pedestrians, no life. "Resorts" nothing but a giant parking lot from which you walk to the ski lifts. Many Europeans, Brit's included, consider that part of the US "soulless"! But it has the advantage that you can speed through all of them on your way to first lift. rolling eyes
latest report
@abc, I think until you've seen a French resort in gridlock you're not really in a position to comment from your side of the pond Laughing

If I ever get to go back out this season and see traffic carnage I promise that I will take vids and photos to prove my point!

I hasten to add that in the big high altitude ski factories just as Tignes etc this is not a problem as a large % of people are bussed in, it's the valley resorts where many a Frenchie will drive to and stay in neighbouring cute villages and they then drive to the lifts.

And there's the parking, something the French on holiday excel at Laughing

I would park up carefully leaving room for others to manoeuvre enabling people to drive around etc then I'd come back and find cars blocking others in, really bizarre behaviour Puzzled
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@abc, I think until you've seen a French resort in gridlock you're not really in a position to comment from your side of the pond Laughing

Have you experienced the traffic at the Cottonwood Canyons (Utah) the day after a storm?

It has nothing to do with pedestrian though. Just geography.
latest report
abc wrote:
... Have you experienced the traffic at the Cottonwood Canyons (Utah) the day after a storm? ... .
It's all in the timing. Although a Snowbird "Seven Summits" membership solves any pedestrian issues as you can park a couple of meters from the door wink

I just reckon that as a car driver I'm permitted to drive around
places with people in them because I'm polite and well behaved.
It's a privilege not a right.

I lived in France and I could never get the hang of their approach to parking, but I
decided to live there and didn't reckon that they'd change their ways even if I asked nicely wink
ski holidays
One useful thing about the French and parking is that they hate to pay for it. There were quite modest charges in Saisies for parking on the main drag - including spaces a couple of metres (literally) from where you could put your skis on and slide down to the main lifts. Perfect for dropping kids at ski school, or picking them up. Or right near the boulangerie, or the 8 a 8. If they'd been free there would have been no chance, ever, of anybody other than the people who worked in the shops getting a space. But because it cost a couple of euros, they'd prefer to walk from the big free car park, further away. So I could get a space. Ten minutes was free and so - in French style - was lunchtime, 12 - 2. A deal with the restaurants, probably. Maximum parking time was two hours. But if your time was adjacent to the lunchtime slot you could get 4 hours for the price of 2. Yes, there were people walking all over the road without looking, kids or skis over their shoulders. It's a ski resort - folk are on holiday!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, Very amusing Lizzie
latest report
Just wanted to say thanks to all the folk who offered advice on this thread - we've had a blast!

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy