Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunniest ski resorts with good snow

Poster: A snowHead
Russbost wrote:
"If you think Serre isn't a big ski area then I wouldn't imagine Sauze would do much for you either" - but you have the whole of Sestriere & Montgenevre as well as Sauze ............

As has been mentioned, chalets in Italy are few & far between, tho' we did stay at one in Arabba a couple of years ago, but Inghams have now removed from their brochure Puzzled Would happily go back to the Dolomites if we could find somewhere to stay that suited, would happily use a hotel rather than chalet if everything else fits ..............

La Rosiere, 2 of our group stayed at a couple of years back, they were disappointed in the ski area, said it was much better over at La Thuile, as was the weather, but I know the links quite often close due to winds- we're just a bunch of whingy old gits really aren't we?!! Twisted Evil

Don't think the Miami beach snow is what I'm looking for! Shocked

We stayed in a catered chalet in Canazei ((Val Di Fassa) over New Year this year with Crystal. Maybe worth a look.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Russbost, interesting to hear the real km figure for Serre Chevalier. Do you have access to the rest of the Schrahe data too?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mount Etna is often red hot

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 25-03-18 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dolomites

Not many chalets so book early.

IMHO after several visits Arraba is the place to stay.

The Hotel Malita is well situated and was well run when I stayed there some years back.

http://www.hotelmalita.it/en/Default.asp
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Moritz, in southern Switzerland.

Gets around 300 days of sun per year.

High enough for its ski season to last reliably from Dec to Apr.

No other resort gets close for a sun-snow combo in the whole European Alps.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Funny how Google searches always take me back here. I'm looking for the same. This past trip to Saas-Fee... I also read the 300 days of sunshine comment... and yet we saw, 1 1/2 days of the 7-8 nights we stayed there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Russbost wrote:
Hmm - don't think I'd fancy booking a long way ahead for the Pyrenees, snow is somewhat unpredictable

Is it? Grandvalira seems to have a great snow record.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Rosiere has to be close to the top of any list, always in the top 5 French ski stations for depth of snow and the majority of pistes south or south-west facing, the new Mont Valaisan sector means a top altitude of 2800 metres and five pistes, as well as opening up a huge off-piste domaine. With the link to Italy on the same lift pass you get access to a mainly north facing area and a really varied ski area.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St Moritz or the Dolomites
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Russbost,

Fundamentally you are trying to game the un-gameable. Anywhere where you are so very much more likely to get sunshine for one random week of the season is not - by definition - going to have very good snow (although the definition of that is very much also open to debate).

And even if it did exist you could easily just get unlucky (or very unlucky).

So you want - IMV - to mitigate the flat light problem - which means having access to tree skiing - and finding (?) the optimal goggle lens (typically yellow/orange) for your eyes. I use Smith Blue Sol-X (I think - can't find the description online) and their "Chromapop" technology is looking very interesting as an upgrade.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Fundamentally you are trying to game the un-gameable

This. In the northern French alps the weeks of clear blue skies are generally the result of solid high pressure which blocks the lows rolling in from the Atlantic. Pistes will typically be hard and shiny and off-piste unskiable for most of us. Those conditions can happen at any time. Your best bet for finding them is to look at low season weeks (e.g. January after new year) then look for a last minute booking. Some of the longest periods of that kind of weather I've had in many, many, weeks of living in that area have been in January - no less likely than any other time of year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Easter rather than Christmas
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
So you want - IMV - to mitigate the flat light problem - which means having access to tree skiing

This.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes sun days and good natural snowfall tends to have an inverse relationship.

Just like the UK, the north western alps are usually the snowiestarea whilst the south east is sunnier and drier. This is because of exposure (or shelter) to westerly and northerly air streams which tend to bring the predominant snow falls.

The Dolomites are the ‘Kent’ of the Alps whilst the Portes du Soliel are the 'Grey Corries', with Avoriaz recording one of the heaviest annual snowfalls in the alps.

A remarkable 8 out of 10 days are sunny in the Dolomites but that is not great news for natural snowfall which is erratic most years. However the clear, dry air of the Dolomites (and the terrain) is particularly suitable for making snow and holding onto it.

Alternatively, as many here have already remarked, if you want deep natural snow and strong sun, go high and go late.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's why St Moritz wins.

Italian sun.

Swiss snow.

Village sits on a big, high, sunny plateau.

Nowhere else in Western Europe gets close to that 3way combo.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Italian sun.

Swiss snow.

stupid overgeneralisation. What about Courmayer - you can add super food to that list of St Moritz
ski holidays
ItaloSkier wrote:
I also read the 300 days of sunshine comment... and yet we saw, 1 1/2 days of the 7-8 nights we stayed there?

I wouldn't expect to see much sunshine in 7-8 nights. Would need Arctic Circle for that.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
ItaloSkier wrote:
I also read the 300 days of sunshine comment... and yet we saw, 1 1/2 days of the 7-8 nights we stayed there?

I wouldn't expect to see much sunshine in 7-8 nights. Would need Arctic Circle for that.

I kept squinting to see the northern lights but that didn't seem to work. Appenzeller was more effective, though.
latest report
We went to Sweden (end of Jan) for a week some years ago and it was sunny every day, we returned the following year for a fortnight at the same time, it was windy so the lift next to where we were staying was not running and it pretty much rained every day, you just can't predict winter weather.

I have been to California at the end of January more than a dozen times and whilst this is outside of your scope I have never been disappointed with the sunshine, I have only been disappointed with the snow once.
snow report
Of course the sun and the snow are not very good friends... Serre-chevalier would be the best compromise in my opinion.
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Italian sun.

Swiss snow.

stupid overgeneralisation. What about Courmayer - you can add super food to that list of St Moritz

Courmayeur is less sunny.

Serve Chevalier is lower.

St Moritz has everything.

Sun + snow + height + food + luxury.
ski holidays
@proskilab, why S-C over anywhere else?
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
mooney058 wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Italian sun.

Swiss snow.

Courmayeur is less sunny.

Serve Chevalier is lower.

St Moritz has everything.

Sun + snow + height + food + luxury.

How many times have you been to Courmayeur?
snow report
Cloudy cloudy Courmayeur...

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2ibd8ug.jpg

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 25-04-19 21:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ItaloSkier wrote:
Cloudy cloudy Courmayeur...

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ibd8ug.jpg

Yep, and clouds below if you take the new panoramic lift to Vallee Blanche next to MontBlanc - included in the pass, not high enough?
snow conditions
out of curiosity checked Isola 2000 sunny days and was blown away, by how much more sun hours and sunny days it gets compared to where I have been and other here mentioned resorts like st moritz or la rosiere. (been in Paradiski, 3V, Mayrhoffen). https://www.worldweatheronline.com/ski/isola-2000-weather-averages/fr.aspx
latest report
Try Davos
Sunshine or your money back offer.
ski holidays
We booked Montgenevre - from everything we have heard sun + good chances of snow since the base sits at 1860 meters, higher than our last trip to Saas Fee but a better chance of sunny weather.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosmoz wrote:
out of curiosity checked Isola 2000 sunny days and was blown away, by how much more sun hours and sunny days it gets compared to where I have been and other here mentioned resorts like st moritz or la rosiere. (been in Paradiski, 3V, Mayrhoffen). https://www.worldweatheronline.com/ski/isola-2000-weather-averages/fr.aspx

Of course! Isola 2000 is effectively in the Pyrenees wink
snow report
Sunshine Village? The clue is in the name...
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
Sunshine Village? The clue is in the name...

Ditto: 'Sunnyside' (Glenshee), 'Sunset Boulevard', (Yad Moss) and 'Sundowner' (Raise), though they do sometimes fail on the second criteria Very Happy
ski holidays
I’m a sucker for marketing Very Happy
ski holidays
NOT Mayrhofen, Zillertal, Zell-am-Ziller, Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein, Gastein Valley. Typical week in March has 1-3 sunny days. Terrible fog is not uncommon.
snow report
I tend to agree with @underanewname that generally you are going to find one or the other. Even if you find somewhere that has a disproportionately high percent of good snow and sunny days, it's by no means a guarantee. For that reason it makes sense to focus on how to make the most of flat light days:

- proper goggle lens makes a huge difference. I can't overstate this. Oakley prizm lens get very good reviews, but I'm sure you can find some others.

- as others have said below treeline helps. I would go one step further and say get in the trees. Who doesn't like a bit of glade skiing and only the very worst whiteout will spoil your view in there.
latest report
Well this thread got a random bump - still it replaces one of the thousand covid threads so all good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy