Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Lunch Stops

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations please for lunch stops, anywhere in the 3 Valleys? Looking for reasonable value, decent quality, good view would be a bonus.
Obviously the weather next week will be warm and dry enough to sit out on the terrace every day.

From past experience, L’Ours Blanc, Les Menuires, off track to side of Doron Chairlift, ticks every box. Not cheap though, so lower priced cheap n cheerful recommendations welcome too. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Corbeleys by the St Martin express chair- traditional, good service, friendly, good view. Moderate prices
Restaurant La Loy- off to the left on the way down to St Martin- ditto

Chalet du Sunny under Sunny Express chair...good pizzas.

Chez Pepe Nicholas- up from start of Bvd Cumin or off La Chasse piste. Booking essential...a bit posher and a bit pricier than the above. Great views.

Lodge du Village in Meribel Village.. just across the road from the bottom of the Lapin piste..Run by Brits, food very much upgraded and more variety than the standard cheese/spuds/ham/bacon fare. Has a new swanky heated covered terrace..a great place to go on a sunny day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would always said the courchneige in 1850, but i gather it's under new ownership and don't know if it's still as good as it was.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pizzeria de Motteret is a handy option, especially if top lifts are closed ... good to meet non-skiers too. Good food, reasonable prices ... not just pizzas. Try to eat upstairs or outside.

Le Clos Bernard in the woods above the Altiport in Meribel was very nice, and an excellent wine list.

I would agree with L’Ours Blanc, probably the second best lunch of the trip last week.

The Bel Aire in 1650 was as good as ever.

I am sworn to secrecy about the location of the best lunch, save to say it was in the St Martin sector, was by no means obvious and involved some off piste!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DavidYacht, ...a wee refuge by chance, the existence of which is indicated by an A board just down from the gondola?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite possibly ... memorable but not a lot of space
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want something delicious and reasonably priced, you can't go wrong with Mountain Burger in Mottaret
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hoping we will make L'ours Blanc in April this time, as it is often closed by the time the EoSB happens. Our preferred lunch spot last season was the Deux-Ours, reached from Boismint or Plan de l'eau.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've heard of Snowheads keeping quiet about the location of powder stashes but.... lunch spots/restaurants Shocked

Whatever next? Puzzled

Never mind. At least the closely guarded location won't detract from our daily picnic experience wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was some discussion and good recommendations for good-but-cheap places to eat around Courchevel on the Three Valleys thread a couple of weeks ago:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3166077
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corbeleys
Bouc Blanc
La Folie Douce
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. A few more culled from a different thread started by Joto. Thanks for these too. I'm in a rare caring-sharing mood...just don't touch my chunky fries.

stephen_buck - We recently enjoyed lunches at the Rond Point in Meribel - English-run, lovely terrace, reasonable prices, with good quality burgers and stir fries (inc vegetarian options).
The kids esp enjoyed the slide down to the loos!

riman8 - Huts for lunch on LM side generally cheaper and think the one up la masse is reasonable

Gipfel - had a pizza one lunchtime at Le Chalet des Neiges (top of Roc 1 lift)...and an evening meal at La Marmite restaurant in resort (in the Bruyeres area, where we were staying). Neither was hugely cheap, but at the same time they were fairly typical of the prices we saw in most places in LM, and both meals were delicious!

Mike_S - My budget lunch stop recommendations are: The Cafe del Mot (ground floor of the Hotel Mottaret) in Mottaret - 9.95 Euros for plat du jour or burger and chips plus a drink (beer, wine or soft); the Steak American (baguette, burger & chips) at Snow Food in the centre of VT (next to the ski doo hire base) - 7.50 E but find it is enough for two; the Igloo in Reberty (Les Menuires) and L'Eterlou in St Martin (next to the bottom of the Village drag). The latter does a 3 course menu du jour for 18.50 E. Otherwise, the plat du jour at Chez Pepe Nicholas, L'Ours Blanc and Les Sonnailes are all good. The Meribel Un-plugged '3Vs Lunch Guide', which can be picked up in a lot of bars & restaurants, lists some of the better value establishments but check prices.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We love the Bouc Blanc above La Tania, mind you we always stay in La Tania so that is really convenient to us ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Le Trait D'Union ... now I've said it, I hope I can get in next time!

Bouc BLanc is well positioned, but has not made it into my"worth a detour" list.

Les Cretes at the top of the Tournette is very authentic.

Like to round off the day at Jacks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:

Lodge du Village in Meribel Village.. just across the road from the bottom of the Lapin piste..Run by Brits, food very much upgraded and more variety than the standard cheese/spuds/ham/bacon fare. Has a new swanky heated covered terrace..a great place to go on a sunny day.

+1
latest report
@Charliegolf, @Perty,
Quote:

Perty wrote:

+1

If back to piste, is that by traffic roundabout, RHS of roundabout...up stairs to café? Or am in wrong bit of Meribel? Or wrong café / restaurant? Or wrong country???
snow report
That's the one. Grub downstairs, apre upstairs, though we didn't test that cos we were in Meribel centre. Friendly staff, and the place has been tidied up over last summer.
snow report
Chez Pépé in Les Menuires/VT, Les Cretes in Méribel, Bouc Blanc in La Tania. All three have great food, terraces, views,authenticity, value for money and great staff/owners.
latest report
If you're in VT area and want a quick snack as opposed to a huge lunch, the Wok Ski noodle bar in the Chalet Thorens (Knife and Fork) is excellent value.
snow report
Quote:

Corbeleys by the St Martin express chair- traditional, good service, friendly, good view. Moderate prices
Restaurant La Loy- off to the left on the way down to St Martin- ditto

+1
snow report
We really like the Bouc Blanc, but it’s got HUGE and was overbooked and pretty chaotic in NY week, so we never did get our 2pm table...and now have slightly more lukewarm feelings about it.

Yup...Le Trait d’Union@DavidYacht, lovely lady running it. Simple food, though not the cheapest. I think the “menu du skieur” was about 21€. We slithered back to the piste just by La Loy as directed through the trees. Perhaps for some it would be easier to park skis at the top by the piste and walk back up.
snow conditions
What @Steph said
latest report
Quote:

Wok Ski noodle bar in the Chalet Thorens (Knife and Fork) is excellent value

+1. Popular lunch option during the EoSB, as was Les Deux Ours near the Boismint lift. Also recommended by @Hells Bells, I think.
ski holidays
+1 for Le Clos Bernard (if you can find it)!!
latest report
Le Rastro in Mottaret.

Can be fun getting down from some of the tables in ski boots, particularly if the (ahem) altitude has got to you a bit
snow conditions
Bouc Blanc is lovely!
latest report
i have a list on my site http://www.skimottaret.com/skiing/mountain_restaurants.html
latest report
Sadly the Bergerie on the Bellecote Piste is no more ... gave way to a couple of Russian Dachas a few years ago
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret, I've mentioned this before (in relation to suggested routes), but your website gives the impression that it hasn't been updated for a long time, so I'm not sure which recommendations are current and which are possibly many years out-of-date. Sad

Just some restaurant examples:
Quote:
La Soucoupe - top of Loze chair 1850, ...
There hasn't been a Loze chair for many years - top of either Loze drag or Plantrey chair
Quote:
Grand Luc - At the base of the Grand Luc Chair in Les Menuires, a new restaurant ...
I guess you mean Grand Lac, at the base of the Granges chair - but again it's been there for some years now.
Quote:
L'Oxalys - Just awarded a Michelin star but same prices, hurry get in quick before they change anything.
"Just awarded" was in 2006 (with a second star in 2010); I suspect prices have changed a bit since then!
snow report
Baguette and a drink at the bakery in the forum in Courchevel 1850. Inside, warm chairs and tables, loos downstairs, shopping... What more do you want?
ski holidays
@ecureuil,
Quote:

"Just awarded" was in 2006 (with a second star in 2010); I suspect prices have changed a bit since then!
And Jean Sulpice has now gone, so what happens next is anybody's guess.

@kditrj2d, excellent sarnies indeed.
snow conditions
The tex mex at the bottom or les menuires was always ok

But my favourite place to eat anywhere I have ever been skiing ever and would be in my top 5 meals I have ever had is La Porteta Courchevel 1650. Not cheap but the veal chop would be my last ever meal if I could choose. I had it twice in 1 week once. Skiing from the glacier chair at Val like my hair was on fire to make sure I got it.

There is a place in 1850 we also went to. Can’t remember the name. It used to be where the nightclub was just through the gap as if your going down to 1550. It was on the left.

La Poupliers in La Pras 1300 has a really nice snug with open fire downstairs if you are over that way also.
snow conditions
last week we did panormaic for saturday lunch , Folie in meribel for sunday lunch , Monday was in Chalets de Pierre in courcheval and Tuesday was a tartiflette in la tania as wed run out of money !!
snow report
I do wonder if there is a case for a separate Restaurant and Coffee Stop thread with "stickys" for each resort?
snow report
Cant remember the name of it but halfway down the Reberty piste on the right hand side as the slope flattens out, just superb French onion soup .
snow report
Not on the piste (so I didn’t mention it in my earlier post) but the Arc en Ciel in 1650...family run, great food, friendly with a cosy interior. Head down the road to the left of the Portetta hotel and it’s across the road. When I was a ski host in 05/06 it was owned or run by a different family I think and called L’Eterlou. Took guests there weekly and have remained a regular ever since. Excellent pizzas, great burgers, one of the best Chèvre salads in the 3V (possibly only eclipsed by the superb and much more “cheffy” chevre salad at the Lodge du Village). Highly recommend.
snow report
Take a pack lunch and keep skiing Toofy Grin
snow report
@spyderjon, and if it’s not too windy, there’s a nice little spot at the top of the Col, right Jon? Cool
snow report
@DavidYacht, yes, good point about sticky’s. SnowHeads unofficial mountain grub guide?
ski holidays
@Perty, yes, good one you mention on 1650.
Also there, down side street to left at bottom of main piste, Table de Mairie? VG.
Also is there still a Brit run cafe/ bistro almost next door? About 3 years ago there was and good for hot snacks lunches and drink.
Rockys Bar opposite entrance escalator to 1650 gondola, used to do VG burger meal and similar. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy