Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Arlberg 2019, Best Snow + Smaller Crowds

Poster: A snowHead
Hey. I'm looking into a ski trip in the Arlberg area in 2019. I'd originally thought of going the last week of January, but I wondered if the snow would be as good, as in late February, early March. Probably not. I'm from California, but have learned recently about the madness of the half-term holidays. According to https://www.schulferien.org/ the school holidays, in Austria, are pretty much over after the 3rd week. And the same is true for the UK, so says https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/.

Does these information hold true with your experience? Is there enough snow in late January? Is the last week of February typically less crowded than the first three? Or is my best bet the first week of March.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last week in Jan or the 2nd week in March

They'll be loads of snow either time
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@monkbeer, Your view is too limited, The Netherlands and Austria herself are a major factor too. All of February is busy.
You are also overlooking the fact that next year, Carnaval is very late (week 2-9 March), the second busiest week of the season after Christmas. Giving a bit of spread for February!
Follow the advise of @red 27, end January or after Carnaval
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I realized after posting this, the snow wouldn't really be a problem in late January. I found out about Fasching/Carnaval a little later too. But, if it begins on the 2nd of March (Saturday), the day I'd be leaving Arlberg, wouldn't I be OK? Or do people begin their Carnaval ski holiday on Weiberfastnacht, the Thursday prior?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St anton plus carnival are a recepie for hell on earth. Don't go that week Skullie
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@monkbeer,
No: https://www.schoolvakanties-nederland.nl/schoolvakanties-2019.html
A little bit of a Dutch course: "Midden en Zuid" means Amsterdam+The Hague+Utrecht+Rotterdam...
(Maastricht, Eindhoven and Bois-le-Duc also "Zuid" but deeply catholic, so they go with Carnaval)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 15-03-18 21:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very funny @red_27. Too many Fools on the slopes? Very Happy

I found this article about the Dutch.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/opinion/why-the-dutch-hit-the-slopes.html

I didn't know they were such avid skiiers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info guys; our group are thinking of going there next season too. Last week of Jan it is Very Happy snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I would go after the whole Fasching thing has finished. Mid March is often a very good time. January can be stormy and usually colder, the days are a good bit longer in March too, all the better for apres ski at the end of the day. The disadvantage of March is that the lower slopes can be a bit of a mess by the end of the day but more than made up by the prospect of both snow and sun. Unfortunately this coming weekend when I will be there promises much cloud, more snow but little to no sun Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @monkbeer, Welcome to the forum.

The Alberg region has a pretty long season, the snow should be good for Jan,Feb, March.
I'd choose to go in March if you can.

I just noticed that Easter is pretty late next year April 21st 2019 ... that is late.
You'll still be able to ski then but ....

I hope you have a good time it is a great region.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think @munich_irish, just about sums it up ... and welcome to the forum.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes. Many thanks. This is a most informative forum. I will have to give this more thought. Enjoy your skiing!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, Would you say March more than January if the priority was good snow rather than apres?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is an element of chance, it is possible to get periods of stable good weather between heavy snowfall in January, in which case conditions could be great. Equally you can get very stormy cold weather, lots of snow but high winds and lots of avalanche closures. Snow depths will almost certainly be more in March than in January but the longer warmer days do mean that dry powder snow is not so likely. Personally I stick to the lower resorts in January, even if the weather is not so good you can ski below the tree line and wait until later in the season to come to the Arlberg. Apres ski is a minor consideration
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For me, it is more about snow, than apres, though I've never experienced European apres. I enjoy cold weather. I went to Whistler-Blackcomb this year in the 2nd or 3rd week of January. They already had a lot of good snow (they got a lot more in February). It was terrific. But there were a few times when visibility was close to "white-out" due to snow and wind or fog. I imagine this is what you're talking about, when you talk about skiing Arlberg in late January. So, I'd be fine with the 2nd week of March, so long as there's plenty of snow and it's not warm. Smile
snow report
Lack of snow is not an issue end January at Arlberg, and since temperatures are lower in January, it is the best time for best conditions.
March can definitely be warm, and St.Anton has many sunny slopes...
ski holidays
Hard to predict either the crowds or the weather, beyond relying on some generalisations:

December = sketchy conditions and few people except for Sylvester,
January = cold, with dry snow and still relatively quiet,
February = somewhat less cold than Jan and the south-facing slopes getting a little wet - and heaps of people, and
March being spring and quieter.

That said, I have seen 17C (yes, plus 17C) at Zürs in February, but many years ago. The busiest day this year we feel we experienced was on Thurs, 8 March. It felt worse than the week when Fasching, British mid-term, Tirol, and Voralberg holidays coincided in the 2nd week of Feb. On 21 Jan, the storm delivered over 50cm (from memory); the day after it rained solidly. The coldest week started on 25 Feb, with mid-mountain temps around -20C.

It is hard enough predicting the mountain conditions a week out, let alone a year. Bottom line: if you have to pick a 1 or 2 week period, a year out, I would go with late-Feb. Based on generalisations, you are likely to get decent snow cover, still the chance of powder, reasonable weather, and manageable crowds.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy