Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I tried to give away a flight

Poster: A snowHead
Title edited as now out of date

Hello all Snowheads
I'm a newbie having only discovered Snowheads a couple of weeks ago and kept meaning to register but now I've finally had a reason to make me do it.

I've arranged a trip to Chamonix with a few friends for this weekend but one of our members has just had to drop out due to family illness. Sad

I know it's very short notice but I now have one transferable ticket with EasyJet to Geneva.

Flight out is London Gatwick to Geneva flight 970; dep. Fri 24 Feb 08:05 and arrive 10:45

Flight back is Geneva to London Gatwick flight 5030; dep. Mon 27 Feb 21:50 and arrive 22:25

Allowance for a pair of skis/snowboard is also booked for this flight.

There's no refund availible on EJ flights so if no-one takes up this offer EasyJet get to keep the money!

A transfer fee of £15 applies so any offers above this can get you on the slopes for the weekend!

We have hired a car to get to Chamonix so if that's your destination we could possibly give you a lift

Send a PM or e-mail if your interested

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-03-06 22:10; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
colin_g, welcome to snowHeads.

You'll probably find a southern snowHead to take the offer fairly swiftly. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
colin_g, who did you hire your car with, and do you mind me asking how much
Cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tully,
Zafira from AVIS on the Swiss side for about £150 inc snow tires and chains & CDW/TP for 4 days
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
colin_g,
Cheers mate
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a great trip - I can't believe all you snowheads are so rich that a free flight had no takers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tully,
Back from our trip now

Re: AVIS rentals
Nice,clean, virtually new car.

The best bit was when we arrived at the arrivals hall - massive queues at Budget and Europcar (which all the cheapy internet brokers use) but we smugly walked up to AVIS where there was no queue at all and were on our way in a couple of minutes.

Also, for the first time ever we actually got snowchains - whenever I've requested them before from other firms they have always "run out" and tell you you won't need them anyway without actually asking where you're going! AVIS provide them automatically at Geneva - makes a lot of sense to me as a £40 set of chains over 6months of hire is hardly a big investment.

One word of warning for anyone taking a hire car back to Genava Airport - GET A MAP OFF OF THE HIRE PEOPLE WHEN YOU PICK THE CAR UP. At most airports in the world there are great big signs saying "HIRE CARS" or similar, at Geneva there's nothing obvious once you leave the motorway.

We spent a merry 40 minutes driving round the exhibition centre car park and downtown Geneva before getting back to where we were supposed to be. Embarassed - luckily we had plenty of time!

I recieved a posted confirmation of final bill 2 days later and they charged me less for the extrta driver insurance than they quoted. - definitely using them again. (no, I do not work for them or own shares etc)

While I'm saying good things about monster corporations I can also say that EasyJet did a really good job for a change - last flight out of Geneva (I think Geneva airport would be shut up by 9 o'clock if EasyJet weren't there) actually left on time and arrived back at Gatwick 20 minutes early - by the time we got to the baggage hall our bags were already there!

Sorry for the verbosity but sometimes you actually get good service and you have to tell someone.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
colin_g, I've rented with Avis, Budget, Alamo and Sixt from GVA and always had chains Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swiss side of GVA airport: Swiss law requires winter tyres and snowchains in all rental cars, and it is a cinch to find where to return the hire car.
French side: no such regulations, winter tyres maybe/maybe not, snow chains are an optional (pay more) extra and finding the place to return the car is an utter nightmare!
You can drive either car in either country except the French side car will probably not have a permit that allows you to drive on the Swiss Motorways and the fine for getting caught is not small...guess where they catch a lot of people?!

The obvious conclusion is....rent from the Swiss side!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last year rented from SIXT on Swiss side, no snowchains, no Motorway permit - which we found out about when stopped at border from france and had to cough up cash on the spot to two gun wielding border guards. They also rented the car to us with no CDW at all - luckily I spotted it before driving off.

rungsp, I agree that finding hire return is a cinch if you don't miss the turn off. If you miss that last turn you get dumped back on the motorway. It was the end of a long day and we were driving slowly down the access road on the right looking for the signs - by the time we spotted the exit we had been blocked off from it by a lorry - my fault entirely but it can happen!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
runqsp,
Quote:
Swiss law requires winter tyres and snowchains in all rental cars

Does this apply all year round ? Picking a car up on the Swiss side on 28 April - will this have snow tyres and chains without me having to pay a premium ?

colin_g - gonna test your observation and memory now .... how was the queue at the Alamo desk? What sort of time did you pick the car up?

Ta.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colin_g wrote:
Last year rented from SIXT on Swiss side, no snowchains, no Motorway permit - which we found out about when stopped at border from france and had to cough up cash on the spot to two gun wielding border guards. They also rented the car to us with no CDW at all - luckily I spotted it before driving off.

Unlucky we drove to and from tignes on the swiss motor ways in January and customs were safely hidden in their guardhouse.
We did have instructions from the hire company but kind of ended up taking the scenic route out and the mega quick route in.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith, just had a car from Alamo at Geneva, no queue, upgraded to 4x4, snow tyres and chains in the boot. You may not have these at the end of April though. I think it's to the end of March.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colin_g wrote:

...I now have one transferable ticket with EasyJet to Geneva...

...A transfer fee of £15 applies so any offers above this can get you on the slopes for the weekend! ...

Take care when buying tickets 'second hand'. As well as the transfer fee, you will also be charged:

Quote:
Names of passengers may be changed on payment of a "name change" fee per passenger, per journey up to one hour before the scheduled time of departure of that flight. In addition, if there is a difference between the original fare paid and the current fare available at the time the change is made, the customer will be required to pay any increase in fare since the original booking. No refund will be given if the new fare is lower. Bookings containing more than one Journey must have the same passenger name for each Journey and name changes are not possible where any Journey in a booking has already been made. If a customer wishes to change a traveller’s name on a flight that is full, then any price difference to be paid will be based on the highest fare applicable for the route booked. Names of passengers that form part of an online booking made by a registered member can be changed through the easyJet website. The changes must be made at least two hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time. The fees for name changes can be found in our Carrier's Regulations.

taken from the easyJet website

We only found this out because we tried to do exactly the same thing a few years ago.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
also isn't it £15 per flight - therfore £30 for a return trip ?
ski holidays
yup!
latest report
prog99,
Glad to see it's not just me!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy