Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Head Super Joy" or “Rossignol Famous 6” ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I am looking for a new pair of woman ski for 14 years old girl, 171 cm./5.6 feet tall & 63 kg/138 lbs. She is skiing all day long mainly on red and just starts trying black ski runs in Europe.
We have no possibility to rent and try different brands, but the local Rossignol shop assistant recommended “Rossignol Famous 6” 156 cm. and may be “Dynastar intense 12” (too heavy).

What are alternative brands option for such a skier with and option for improvement for the next 3-5 years? Head, Fisher, Atomic? Any recommendations? Is "HEAD SUPER JOY" a better ski for her?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 13-03-18 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I've read, I think you have come up with excellent choices.

IMO. The Head Super Joy would have a bit more "headroom" than the Rossi, but at a premium....and would probably be my choice. The Rossi is also supposed to be excellent for what it costs and would also work.

BTW. Welcome to the forum. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Between Head Absolut Joy and Atomic Cloud 12 which would be more appropriate for her and will 163 height be ok?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
vazmuten wrote:
Between Head Absolut Joy and Atomic Cloud 12 which would be more appropriate for her and will 163 height be ok?

I'm not really in a position to answer that, without seeing the person involved ski and knowing her preferences.

Here are my thoughts, but can't guarantee they will be totally accurate

The Atomic Cloud 12 is a stiff, unforgiving ski for good advanced and expert Piste skiers.

The Head Absolute Joy is a more forgiving Intermediate/Advanced ski, with a wider waist (79mm vs 70mm).

If the person involved is a competent, advanced skier - 163 is at the very upper range of where she should be, in the Head ski...IMO

If going for the stiffer ski, I would be looking to go down a size....if buying blind.

FWIW. I think the Cloud 12 may be too stiff and the Absolute Joy doesn't have enough headroom to advance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for the answer. I meant Head Super Joy. According to your answer Atomic Cloud 12 is too still and not for her.

Her exact measurements are:
- Heigth 171.5 cm.
- Eyebrows 164 cm.
- Nose 159 cm.
- Chin 152 cm.

In case we choose Super Joy what length you think will be ok? Is both 153 and 158 cm. acceptable?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IMO. Weight, rather than height is more important for choosing ski length.....the point at which a ski comes up to on your body, is only a rough guide and relies on being an average weight for your height.

Personal preference and the type of turn you prefer, also comes into it.

If she is an Advanced skier, who skis at an average speed and remains mostly On Piste, her ideal range would be 157 - 163.

If she is more Intermediate to Advanced Intermediate, or a cautious skier - then 153 would work.

What length is she currently on?

My best guess, is that if she is going to be skiing a lot and wants something that grows with her, 158 would be the right length.

My daughter is 5'7" and 140 Lbs, an Advanced skier and skis on 160, fully cambered skis (K2 Burnin' Luv). All modern skis have some sort of Rocker/Early Rise tip, which means they can be skied a little longer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now she skies on 153 cm. but when she speeds up she becomes a little unstable which is normal for beginner-intermediate ski.

If now you have to choose a new ski pair for your daughter which model would it be?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vazmuten wrote:
Now she skies on 153 cm. but when she speeds up she becomes a little unstable which is normal for beginner-intermediate ski.

If now you have to choose a new ski pair for your daughter which model would it be?

Difficult question, as she prefers a full camber......but she really likes K2, so would probably go for Luv Machine 74Ti in a 160. I would also suggest she tried the Head Super Joy - or maybe even the Men's Magnum model.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just returned from local ski repair centre and had a conversation with the ski service guys. They were negative on Head Super Joy because it does not have any titan or other serious metal and should be unstable on ice. Also they said that bindings less then 12 are not reliable and trustworthy.
They highly recommended HEAD SUPERSHAPE I.RALLY for her. Do you have tried them or heard any comments on them?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vazmuten wrote:
I just returned from local ski repair centre and had a conversation with the ski service guys. They were negative on Head Super Joy because it does not have any titan or other serious metal and should be unstable on ice. Also they said that bindings less then 12 are not reliable and trustworthy.
They highly recommended HEAD SUPERSHAPE I.RALLY for her. Do you have tried them or heard any comments on them?

I mentioned the (Supershape) Magnum above as a possibility, which is very similar, only a touch narrower, so thought they might be a possibility. I loved them and thought they had a big performance envelope and certainly rewarded decent technique.

I weigh 10 Stone, am just over 5'10", ski to a reasonable level and like to ski quite fast - and liked the 170. The smallest size they come in is 156, which would probably be the right length for her.

They are not cheap skis, but they are very good skis and may well suit....but I can't say so for sure.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In reviews Head Super Joy are mentioned to be unstable on ice & bumps/moguls with vibrations while the Rally are praised for their stability. Most of the time even at early afternoon the ski runs becomes bumpy with icy sections and I think Rally would be much better&safer option. In this case the question that stays is how much stiffer are Rally compared to Super joy? May be too stiff for her?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure I can help further, as I simply don't know the answer.....is the K2 I mentioned above (Luv Machine 74Ti) an option, as it has metal (Titanal) in it?

FWIW. If she is quite fit, reasonably aggressive, with decent technique, she should be OK....but a ski that is too stiff, could have a detrimental effect, by removing confidence.

Re The Total Joy, almost everything I've read has been positive, with it getting an award in SCGB tests...and the general consensus of opinion is that it was very stable, given its lightness and lack of metal. I think it would still be my choice for a 14 year old girl....but it's not my money.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 7-03-18 10:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here are all of them HEAD iSUPERSHAPE RALLY, HEAD SUPER JOY, K2 LUV MACHINE 74Ti in one review list: http://skicanadamag.com/piste-cruisers-test-2016/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@vazmuten, That was from 2015, so there has almost certainly been changes for 2018. The only way to know, is see tests for the current models, as improvements are generally made every one or 2 years....with skis getting lighter and torsionally stiffer....eg. with the use of Graphene. http://www.skiessentials.com/2018-ski-test?skis=head-super-joy

https://www.onthesnow.com/gear/a/10794/2017-2018-women-s-technical-skis/k2/luv-machine-74-ti--2018-

Your link also rates the Super Joy.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 7-03-18 11:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
... and Head Supershape iRally is editors choice for 2017/2018:
https://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/628658/head-supershape-i-rally-men-s-17-18-frontside-editors-choice-ski

Just visited the local ski shop and they have one last pair of discounted 2017/2018 iRally 156 cm.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 7-03-18 12:11; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
vazmuten wrote:
... and Head Supershape iRally is editors choice for 2017/2018:
https://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/628658/head-supershape-i-rally-men-s-17-18-frontside-editors-choice-ski

Just visited the local ski shop and they have one last pair of discounted 2017/2018 iRally 163 cm.

There is absolutely no doubt that the iRally is a great ski. Whether it is suitable for the 14 year old girl, at that length, is another question.

I can see why you are tempted....and if at a good price, may be worth a punt; though it would be good if you got other opinions on this.

Maybe you could start a thread asking whether these skis, in a 163, is worth getting for the young lady in question - there are people who use this ski on a regular basis eg Tangowaggon.
snow report
Sorry - my mistake - it was exactly her length => 156 cm. ! Also her present Rossignol poles are black and red ...
snow conditions
vazmuten wrote:
Sorry - my mistake - it was exactly her length => 156!

That would make me more optimistic about their suitability - though I think a dedicated thread, that I suggested above, might bring extra insight and help put your mind at rest.

What price are the various options?
ski holidays
I finally decided to go for Head Super Joy for her and Head Supershape i.Rally (177 cm.) for me. We fine-tuned the requirements and now they are:

Years: 14
Weight: 68 kg/148 lbs.
Height:
- Head 172 cm./5.7 feet
- Eyebrows 164 cm.
- Nose 159 cm.
- Chin 152 cm.
Skill Level: Intermediate-Advanced
Skiing Style: Normal
Terrain: On Piste

Ski: Head Super Joy
Rocker: Tip Rocker

Most online automatic calculators suggest that I should take at least 163 cm. but based on your experience what will you recommend 158 cm. or 163 cm. ?
snow report
You keep changing her metrics, which keep bringing up different results.

On those measurements, I think she is looking at a range of 159 - 165. This means either length could suit in theory.

Since there is only 5cm difference in length, there won't be a big difference.....so go smaller for slightly easier/more maneuverability and go longer for slightly more stability and surface area (for chopped up surfaces).

If you are wanting my opinion, it would be to go for the 158.
latest report
Sorry for changing & tuning measurements but we try to predict what will be the situation for the next 1-2 years. Thanks a lot. She preferred stability especially on chopped surface. Also the ski are light and with front rocker... and the difference will possibly be negligible.
snow report
Well, the least you can do now, is report back on how things work out. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy