Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve - Hints and tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, piggybacking on this thread. Plotting a weekend trip with friends, and Megeve has come up as an option. Accommodation and flight into GVA are available and it's an easy transfer.

Bit of research re-affirms what folks say above. But, it looks nice to me, and I'm happy to search out any lower cost food options. Chinese sounds like a treat too!

My question, thou, snow conditions.... it all feels a little 'low' to me (albeit, I am excited at the tree lined prospects). We are planning early march trip - can anyone comment on personal experience of the snow in resort at that time of year?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Richie_S, I've never actually had the opportunity to ski there but it's on the way between Albertville and Chamonix, a route I've often had cause to travel in December or April and it has always struck me in passing as a snowy part of the route so aside from the normal caveats about mountains+weather, I'd feel pretty safe about early March.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richie_S, no issues early March, if you want to save some money go to St Gervais & ski same area
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richie_S, Early March should be the best conditions, actually. Plenty of time to make snow and should still be cold enough. True that the Grand Massif isn't very high and is probably feeling the effects of global warming, but if there are enough cold nights you'll have something to ski on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pasigal,
Megeve isn't in the Grand Massif.
While I would have confidence in Megeve for EARLY March, I'd say (based on quite a lot of experience of the area) that February is the best time to ski Megeve. It is relatively low and sunny and its excellent tree-lined skiing is good insurance against bad weather - less so in spring conditions
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, sorry, my bad. meant EMB. (And I've skied Megeve, should have caught that).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have just returned. The whole area is a great ski area. Megeve is a pretty town but yes a bit on the quiet side. Bar st.pauls behind the church was our preferred spot in the evening plus they put the Liverpool v spurs match on the telly. Nano cafe good too. Our apartment was near the bottom of the Rochebrune gondola so good access and a stroll down the piste in the evening must have cut off 10 mins walk to town.
Lower runs to the ski areas were getting patchy and need a lot more snow.

Chinese in town was very good ( thanks admin).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The first week of March is still French school holidays - second week would be better. I think Megeve should provide plenty of reasonable skiing then, though the Combloux side (and the village/valley) might be looking rather green.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Less than 4 weeks 'til we go... am sat in the corner, wearing my ski kit, hugging my knees, rocking...

@halfhand, Thanks for the heads up on the St Pauls and Nano, will definitely check them out.

Last time we went to the Hotel Le Fer À Cheval, where - for a mere €60 - 4 G&Ts and a bowl of pistachios could be yours! It is a lovely spot to get fleeced, mind.... I suspect Mrs EWW will want to do that again!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Daaaaaaaaaamn!
3 weeks to the Birthday Bash where the bar snacks just keep on coming and those same 4 drinks would cost 12€ AND they'd be served with a lovely smile.
Still, it's certainly tough to find a decent Chinese in Arabba Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@admin, one day I shall get myself on a bash...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Last time we went to the Hotel Le Fer À Cheval, where - for a mere €60 - 4 G&Ts and a bowl of pistachios could be yours! It is a lovely spot to get fleeced

Couple of years ago I ate at one of the mountain restaurants above Megeve (had almost always eaten on the St G side before). We economised by ordering the plat du jour. Bargain at 38 euros for bangers and mash. Now it was good bangers and mash but 38 Euro! Certainly hope it was a "mfing charming pig" as someone once said
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:

...hope it was a "mfing charming pig" as someone once said

Laughing Laughing

Hopefully this year they will accept Monopoly money...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a Tartiflette for lunch on the slopes above Megeve - 20 euro. 2 of our team also had Tartiflette in St. Gervais 26 euro although the cured meats and salad served with it was better than the Megeve lunch. In LaGettiaz I had Plat du Jour - 14 euro for steak, bernaise sauce, cheesy spuds, salad and stuffed tomato - such good value I had half a bottle of red to go with it Laughing

@EarthWindandWater, Bar Tabac St. Paul (to give the full name) was by far the cheapest spot in town for beers at about 28 euro for 4 pints. Café Rochebrune Telepherique was about 33 euro for the same. Bar Le S was 10 euro per pint.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 14-01-20 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Plat du Jour - 14 euro for steak, bernaise sauce, cheesy spuds, salad and stuffed tomato - such good value I had half a bottle of red to go with it

That IS a good deal!
Where was that?
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Plat du Jour - 14 euro for steak, bernaise sauce, cheesy spuds, salad and stuffed tomato - such good value I had half a bottle of red to go with it

That IS a good deal!
Where was that?

My mistake on the location, I've just checked and it was La Datcha in La Gettiaz. I've corrected my original post. Very Happy
ski holidays
Please bear with me as I am rubbish on piste names and restaurant names and not local to megeve but do ski there occasionally. If you head from mt. Arbois towards megeve (the bottom of the piste where the esf meet point is and where you meet the Rochebrune cablecar - there is a new modern looking bar/pizza shack there on the right hand side (has buckets for champagne etc). Good vibe lots of space and reasonable price for megeve at €15 for a big pizza. Very convenient for lessons.
ski holidays
@Chamboy, will look out for that
ski holidays
Chamboy wrote:
Please bear with me as I am rubbish on piste names and restaurant names and not local to megeve but do ski there occasionally. If you head from mt. Arbois towards megeve (the bottom of the piste where the esf meet point is and where you meet the Rochebrune cablecar - there is a new modern looking bar/pizza shack there on the right hand side (has buckets for champagne etc). Good vibe lots of space and reasonable price for megeve at €15 for a big pizza. Very convenient for lessons.

Is it called something like "Club Alpin"? I'm sure it's club something

Agree that place is relatively affordable by Megeve standards but it's a bit "fur coat and no knickers" - for the same money you get something much better the otherside of the hill? I have eaten there more than once.
snow conditions
There is a great little hut on the StG side where the blue finance & red marmire split on the way down to Bettex that does the best onion soup.
ski holidays
^ Is there? DIdn't know that but I see it on the map now
Thought for a moment you meant the chalet off to skiers left of Marmire about half way down - good for fondue and tarte myrtille
snow report
Chamboy wrote:

Is it called something like "Club Alpin"? I'm sure it's club something

Agree that place is relatively affordable by Megeve standards but it's a bit "fur coat and no knickers" - for the same money you get something much better the otherside of the hill? I have eaten there more than once.

Yes. That’s the place. Agreed there are other better places around the mountain but if with kids and it’s most convenient you could do worse. I have found a few good places hidden away on St Gervais side before but can never remember the names.
snow report
There's a downloadable, very detailed guide to all the mountain restaurants (including prices) on the Stanford Skiing website. Came in very useful for us on our trip last year.
snow conditions
Wake up bar didn't seem to be very awake (i.e. shut) Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy