Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage: bored airport security confiscating the silliest things?

Poster: A snowHead
SnoodlesMcFlude - I too had issues with a Swisscard. I have travelled all over the world with it for years and only once had its contents queried at Gatwick only to have the security woman admit that the size of the scissors and paper knife were so small as to be permissible under the regulations. However last week the scissors and knife were taken off me in Hong Kong where apparently the regulations do not permit any sort of pointed item! I could kick myself for not having put it in my hold luggage as it was an "old friend" and is now missing the two most useful tools!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mgrolf wrote:
And hypodermics with vials of clear poison...oops, I mean essential medication. Never ever even been asked about these.

Oh I have...

Paris BA flight - insulin syringes and vials ( this was before the pre-loaded pens) taken from me in a very public display of gendarmarie over-strenuousness. Very nervous other passengers being made to wait as armed police took them from me. Eventually given to Stewardess who was told that she could only return them to me on the flight if the captain gave permission.

Well, I thought I'd try it on - they said "no". Wrote to BA afterwards asking exactly why the captain though he could deny me essential medical supplies No answer.

I didn't really need them to be honest, for two reasons:

1) it was only a 1hour flight, and
2) I had a complete replica set-up, syringes and vials, in my other pocket that they didn't find. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
And then they give you metal knifes and forks on the plane

You obviously turn left..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
johnE wrote:
And then they give you metal knifes and forks on the plane

But these knives have a blunt end and are not a puncture threat.

Although wouldn't take long to use one of valais2's tuning files to make it nice and sharp though.

Couple of years back I went through Stansted with box of about 50 metal fasteners (commercial samples). Quite harmless individually, but 5 mins screwing them together and you could make a 1m long, 25mm diameter, solid steel baseball bat - or possibly three decent truncheons. They didn't take them, but part of me thinks perhaps they should have given the much less dangerous stuff they prohibit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WindOfChange wrote:
2 of my sons were stopped at GVA security, one had an indoor firework and the second a flat phone battery.

They let one off and charged the other.

... getting coat.

You didn't get the credit you deserved for that Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A reblochon coming back from Lyon 10 years ago. Fitzwilliams.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiteman69 wrote:
I once had a set of Jump leads taken off me .............

maybe they thought you were going to start something Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly off topic, but only slightly:

Accessing the Plan du Midi lift one summer, shortly after one of the terrorist incidents in Paris, there was security doing bag checks.

Guard: "Are you carrying a knife?"
Me: "Yep, a lock knife, two in fact, and so's the wife, and my nine year old daughter." **
Guard: "Fair enough, enjoy your day."

**Hers did have the rounded tip.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back in the 80's my Mum baked our wedding cake to take to Zermatt where we were getting married, going through security, the cake was fine, but oddly enough not the half-dozen blocks of marzipan to be applied once we were in Switzerland...............
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

, but oddly enough not the half-dozen blocks of marzipan to be applied once we were in Switzerland

Not really suprised. They probably thought she was smuggling cyanide
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@KenX, ....actually not ‘oddly enough’....I will explain:

Me in Geneva, heading home after a mad long weekend of Much Skiing. I have of course bought a large block of Gruyere for She Who Eats Cheese in our household. I have cabin baggage only. The bag goes into the X ray machine (which was then at the gates, not where it is now). This is the conversation between the security staff, all in French:

‘Hang on, what’s that....?’
‘Stop the belt, back it up...’
‘Hmmmm...’
‘Well....it’s either a block of cheese or a block of plastic explosive...’
‘Right...hold it there...’

Then in English to me:

Security: ‘Is this cheese?’
Me: ‘yes’
Security: ‘...OK...that’s fine, then...’.

She then explained that both Gruyere and ‘explosifs plastique’ have the same X Ray opacity. The same may be true of marzipan.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I seem to recall it was the resemblance to C4............
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And early (this was the 80's) plastic explosives used to smell of almonds........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The presence of a 4kg fruit cake may have smoothed things over a bit Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KenX, ....or just be damned good cover, 007.....
ski holidays
@valais2, Very Happy
snow conditions
The 1.0m retractable tape measure (from a Christmas cracker) attached to my keyring caused major concern last time I went through security and was nearly confiscated.
However, the craft knife in my pocket was not detected - except later by me when I cut my finger putting my hand in my pocket rolling eyes
ski holidays
My husband found a half full carton of orange juice in his rucksack after flying LHR to Vancouver then Vancouver to Calgary. Not spotted anywhere along the way but after a week of travelling it was pretty fizzy and undrinkable!
latest report
My husband found a half full carton of orange juice in his rucksack after flying LHR to Vancouver then Vancouver to Calgary. Not spotted anywhere along the way but after a week of travelling it was pretty fizzy and undrinkable!
snow conditions
^^^^Except if stuck in someone's eye.... Shocked
latest report
You can get enough blades and things to get stones out of horses hooves to equip the whole of the Swiss army at either Geneva or Zurich air side.
Or of course chocolate.
snow report
I've flown with a rifle a few times - can't be loaded obviously, magazine out, and needs to be in a bag or case. It's not that uncommon to see here on internal flights.

And got totally worked over coming back into NZ once with a chocolate orange in a suitcase. We have understandably anal bio security laws, and it looked like fruit. Customs ripped everything apart, then got stuck into everythng else. Took ages to get through.
snow conditions
On the way back through Lleida airport last week, my friend was told you can't take 2 vape batteries through so he had to give his spare one to his son. How pointless is that? Fine on the way out, and they didn't question my spare vape battery, or the emergency phone charger packs (essential after getting stuck on the runway for 5hrs last Xmas, you could have sold extra power on that plane!)
snow report
Returning from Sardinia last year.... youngest (5) stopped and his backpack searched "Do you have any stones in here?" ... Turned out he'd collected half a dozen pebbles, and one i'd class more as a 'rock'. I then looked at my other boys who were now 'heads down' avoiding eye contact, kicking their heels... So, their bags were checked too and they'd done the same.... we ended up with 20 or so assorted pebbles and rocks confiscated...

The security guy was bemused, but as my kids were upset, he motioned to them to 'follow him' [ this concerned me more! ] But, he showed them to a crate filled with stones that had also been confiscated from other passengers.
ski holidays
I carried my ski poles (collapsable) through security which did trigger a tense moment and the call for a supervisor. Though the end result was positive, I could have done without the drama.

After all, I would not let them confiscate those, even at the risk of missing my flight!
ski holidays
Slightly odd one in January.
I was travelling hand luggage only and put a ratchet screwdriver with multiple tips in my bag.
Doh! My mistake
I asked them whether they could just take the pointy tips and leave me with the blunt handle (more tips in the tool box in our flat).
They discussed it and concluded that I could keep the tips but would have to leave the handle behind.

The odd thing was that the rule against carrying it comes from BA rather than the regulators. It was less about violence on board than the ability to start unscrewing the plane! Fair enough but why leave the tips? Answer the rule applied to tools over x cm in length...
ski holidays
FFIRMIN wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude - I too had issues with a Swisscard. I have travelled all over the world with it for years and only once had its contents queried at Gatwick only to have the security woman admit that the size of the scissors and paper knife were so small as to be permissible under the regulations. However last week the scissors and knife were taken off me in Hong Kong where apparently the regulations do not permit any sort of pointed item! I could kick myself for not having put it in my hold luggage as it was an "old friend" and is now missing the two most useful tools!

I’ve fallen foul of Hong Kong security recently as well. They confiscated my awesome tweezers. I had the same thoughts as others that glass bottles are much more dangerous.
latest report
I used to have airside security clearance for Belfast City as we maintained ATC hardware and software. A screwdriver was an essential tool for switching out comms cards and other bits of hardware but security would argue about it every time. Apparently I could take someone hostage and make them crash planes into each other. Pointing out that I could take out a large chunk of Northern Irish ATC with a typo didn't win me many brownie points either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie_S wrote:
Returning from Sardinia last year.... youngest (5) stopped and his backpack searched "Do you have any stones in here?" ... Turned out he'd collected half a dozen pebbles, and one i'd class more as a 'rock'. I then looked at my other boys who were now 'heads down' avoiding eye contact, kicking their heels... So, their bags were checked too and they'd done the same.... we ended up with 20 or so assorted pebbles and rocks confiscated...

The security guy was bemused, but as my kids were upset, he motioned to them to 'follow him' [ this concerned me more! ] But, he showed them to a crate filled with stones that had also been confiscated from other passengers.

Fair enough it's an island - they don't want to end up exported.
snow conditions
On the flip side, a couple of years ago our EDI-MXP flight was delayed and so we thought we'd have a drink before going through security to kill a bit of time. I was casually asking the kids to check that they had their tablets and earphones in their carry on when Junior 1, who has flown at least a couple of times a year since he was born and was by now a 12 year old, produced a gas canister and multitool type affair that had axe and hammer utensils on it. I managed to take them back to the car and get back to the terminal before we needed to go through security. I make a point of asking him if he has any gas canisters, axes or hammers in his bag everytime we go through security now - it's only a matter of time before I get arrested for making a joke of it Very Happy
latest report
@OTS,

My son managed to take with him
a) a kit for making a clock powered by a lemon - this included a clock face and two big electrodes on wires for sticking in the lemon
b) a weird nightlight in the shape of a ghost made from some gelatinous material

They searched his bag before giving it all back to us then showed us the scanner image of his bag - looked like he had all he components of a cartoon bomb
snow report
Laughing
snow conditions
Raven - I managed to snatch back the Swisscard from the security guy once he had the scissors and paper knife in his hands and said I wanted to keep the card itself, it still had the tweezers, a large pin, a very pointy tiny pen, a pointy nail (or other) file and a toothpick in it and as I got my hands on it I just walked away and he didnt follow!!
snow conditions
A friend works for Border Force and he gets stopped when passing through security on duty as his officially issued handcuffs, baton, knife, Gerber, radio etc on his belt set the alarms off.

They still insist on a rub down search even though they can't do anything about what he's carrying...

Heaven forbid that he tries to take a pint of milk in....
latest report
I emptied my pockets into the tray at Reykjavik recently and pulled out a knife from the hotel breakfast table
snow report
When we came back from Turkey last summer, it was when everyone was very concerned about laptops, tablets, and batteries etc. They objected to the number of batteries and things with batteries in them that were in my son's bag - he had a lot of camera and computer gear. They made us split his stuff between the rest of our bags, so there were no more than 2 batteries in any one bag, but took absolutely no account of anything anyone else might already have had in their bag!
latest report
karin - so the batteries all travelled within your party anyway rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
@FFIRMIN, and probably more than 4 batteries in everyone else's bags apart from my son's!
latest report
[quote="Gazzza"]A toddlers cutlery set for a 12 month old, designed so they are so blunt a 1 year old can't damage themselves. Confiscated by Gatwick security.

The weird thing was on the return trip we'd accidentally put the first kit into hand luggage instead of the hold and it featured a set of razor sharp first aid scissors. That was allowed.

Also had a bottle of Stroh Rum 80 confiscated by Austrian security (in the days when you could still take liquids in hand luggage) as it was too strong and a fire risk. Apparently the weaker ones would have been fine.[/quote

I dont blame them not wanting the stroh 80 on board. That stuff is lethal. I used some to set a christmas pudding alight and it was like the towering inferno. I sometimes let people try drinking it - nobody asks for a second measure !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy