Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short Ski Trip April 9th - Still Good Skiing??

Poster: A snowHead
Am looking to take the family away for a few days skiing, Mon - Wed.

Considering how good the snow has been this year, are we relatively safe that time of year re decent ski conditions?

Not looking for ideal conditions obviously, just enough for a few good days

I would like to go back to Morzine as piste wise thought it was great, and there's always the option of Avoriaz if need be.

As its just a quick trip, don't want to have to drive too far, will be flying into Geneva
Chamonix an option, but not sure it's as ideal for my daughter who has lost her confidence, so am trying to coax her gently.

I know higher is a better bet, but just wanted to get the general consensus of that time of year, is it still fine / decent?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cisco43,
I've had plenty of good skiing at that time of year in average snow years. Should still be plenty of snow although actual conditions obviously dependant on weather at the time.
Personally I would go somewhere with higher skiing though Morzine could still be good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its a month away and no one knows what the snow will be like in the lower resorts. For instance the minimum temperature in Morzine overnight tonight will be +8degs. I would book your flights and reserve judgement on the resort until later. Its after Easter so you will be able to pick and choose.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both for the input.
It's still in School Hols though, so prices not the keenest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would steer clear of the Portes du Soleil at that time of year - could be good but too much of a gamble. Even skiing at Avoriaz is quite low altitude by French standards (max 2275m). Flaine could be a better option - there's skiing up to 2480m.

Obviously not the cheapest - but Verbier should be pretty reliable and less than 2 hours from Geneva. Could stay down in the valley at a cheaper hotel if needed.

Otherwise I'd suggest heading down to one of the big Tarentaise resorts (e.g. 3 valleys, Paradiski).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
but I really really want to go to PDS, waaaaaa Laughing

Would certainly love to go to Verbier, but accom still a bit pricey

Did seriously consider 3 valleys / Paradiski but thought that might be a bit far to drive, as we're only Mon - Wed

Is Courchavel approx 2:15, would that be right, that could be doable.

Did Flaine, was ok, but not in a rush to go back.
I will certainly look at Samoens & Morillon though
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For Verbier - try looking for accommodation down in the valley in Le Châble. Cheaper - and there's a gondola up from there.

Not much difference in the drive from Geneva to Paradiski (La Plagne) or Courchevel.

I suspect the resort runs into Samoens & Morillon will be pretty mushy - but obviously they link into the Flaine area which will have the better snow.

You don't need to go super high - wherever you go I suspect the skiing in the 2000-2700m range is going to be good.

Will be down that way the previous week if you want to wait for snow reports Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val d'Isere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree - Val d'Isere would be great - there aren't too many places which have a good selection of green and blue runs at a decent altitude like the ones behind Rocher De Bellevarde. Never skied those in April but I assume they should be in good shape.

But I suspect it's just a bit too far from Geneva for @cisco43.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cisco43

Early April was cracking in the PDS 2 years ago. There's been way more snow this year. In March 2016, the snow depth was less than 2m. It's currently at 4m! The forecast for the next two weeks is also for it to stay cold and snowy. In a normal year, I would agree with the advice of others to head high but this year I'd say go to the PDS but make sure you have a car to travel to the best areas. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Combe de Saulire, 14 April 2008:

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will look into Le Châble, Verbier has been on my list for some time, so great if I can make it happen

Yes, Val too far

Adding La Plagne to the mix

Good to know about PDS 2 years ago, all helps, and that was my thought.
If I was going on my own, I'd leave it till the last minute, but with family, need to get something booked really.
Annoyingly, the best prices are uncancellable, darn it.

Well, thanks for all the advice & tips, much appreciated
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Verbier is cracking

Forecast in Morzine for next 2 weeks is looking crazy! -13'c at end of March!

http://montagne.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-alpes-du-nord/station-montagne/previsions-meteo-morzine-77-0.php
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cisco43, the snow on the ground will be fine, but as T Bar mentions, you can't guarantee the weather.
My son was out Jan 19-22 and had murky days with heavy snow ending up with rain on the Monday. Tuesday, the day after he left, was glorious sunshine and wonderful skiing.
A short trip is always a gamble.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This year, the PdS should be fine, but you are taking a bit of an unnecessary gamble. The skiing isn't that high and Morzine is extremely low. If you must go to the PdS, then do at least stay higher than Morzine.
ski holidays
@cisco43, Mon - Weds you should be able to negotiate a good Airbnb deal in Verbier/Le Chable. It’s the 2nd week of Swiss Easter holidays but won’t be busy. People stop skiing in April
ski holidays
If I can get high without it being to far or costly, then I will

Weather always a risk, but yes, agree a short trip does put you more in the hands of the Gods.
Have been relatively lucky so far, so will continue the finger crossing.

Am hoping to book later today, or at least the flights anyway

Haven’t checked out Le Chable yet, but did find quite a bit of choice in La Plagne

Can anyone tell me how long the drive is approx.
Google says 2.5 HRs, but have seen it on some official website over 3Hrs from Geneva Airport
I can stretch to 2.5 but 3Hrs is just too far
ski holidays
Val Thorens is two and a quarter hours drive from Geneva Airport.

What time do your flights get in/depart? Puzzled
ski holidays
I always thought that was further away

We arrive Geneva @ 0920
Leave Geneva @ 2120

So, there's potentially time
snow conditions
Val Thorens, Courchevel and La Plagne should all be reachable in about 2:30 at this time of year in good weather.

Traffic shouldn't be too bad. But I'd recommend going round the long way on the autoroute (A41 through Chambery) rather than trying to cut through Annecy to Albertville.
snow conditions
Tignes Val Claret is regularly do-able in 2.5hrs in a hire car. Tignes Les Brevieres is 10-15 mins less.

Epic snow guaranteed Very Happy.

OR you can get to Bourg St Maurice (with direct funicular access to Les Arcs and cheap accommodation) in just under 2hrs. Ditto re good snow.
snow conditions
In the five years we've done it, we have always managed to get to VT by hire car from Geneva over the Easter school holiday (not Easter week though) in three hours, and that is with a supermarket shop in Alberville and no speeding tickets. Does depend on whether you end up behind a bus on the road up from Moutiers though....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy