Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada where?

Poster: A snowHead
Help whistler or sun peaks? After 40 odd years of tearing around the Alps , last year my son and I broke the habit and did eleven nights in Banff. - loved it !! Great powder , no queuing, very friendly especially the lliftys, ice hockey- well worth a trip out , good food , so not sure where next . I'm advanced skier - big 60 this year , son 21 boarder of course but I can still keep up with him , but not for much longer .!!😠😦 so looking for advice . Thanks in advance 🤔
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kimh, Sun Peaks is mellow and few folks there, bit out of the way, sits close to a dessert and is quite dry. Enjoyed the couple of days we had there but wouldn't want much more TBH.
You either stay at resort ( small area ) its nothing like Banff, or in Kamloops and drive.

Whistler is like Disney on snow, totally corporate - large vertical, biggish ski area with two different linked mountains. Sometimes great snow sometimes not. Often wet in town being close to the coast. Theres plenty of threads about it on here.
Now owned by Vail resorts so no idea how that's going to pan out long term.
Happy choosing, even happier skiing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are very different places, delivering different things. Fancy an apple or an orange?

I usually end up riding at both, if the snow's good when I'm in the area, but they're not particularly similar. You can see what you get from their websites.

I'd probably get bored at either in 11 days. Either will likely work fine and both are different from each other and from Banff, so should be good from a variety perspective.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fernie?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go completely different, go to Yuzawa Japan - 20 odd ski resorts within 35 drive, some as big or bigger than Lake Louise or Sunshine Village. Cost the same or less than a big name resort in the alps or Canada, including the flight!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They are very different Sun Peaks is quiet both on and off the slopes, Whistler is much more lively.
We ski in both of the resorts and have for a while now. Sun Peaks requires a second flight or a long drive from Vancouver or Calgary. (We are driving from Calgary this year) . Whistler shortish 2hr bus transfer from Vancouver you just book and pay on line.
Skiing is good at both Whistler is coastal with a range of conditions form powder to slush you can rarely ski top to bottom and when it snows some areas are closed and then it gets crowded in the open areas.
Sun Peaks its dry most of the time when it snows its not as much snow but so much lighter and not so wet. You can go out on snowmobile or dog sledding or skating look on the resort web sites they tell you what's available. Busy week in Sun Peaks is the wine festival, wine master dinners in restaurants so booking for dinner is required in the other restaurants. The progressive wine tasting is recommended ( ticket exchanged for a glass and a map a wristband and a list of wineries to try and 3hrs ) The village is busy that night!! but the slopes will be quiet the next day......
There are guides available in both resorts to help you get around on the slopes.
Enjoy which ever one you pick you can book via tour op or diy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree it's an odd either/or. Whistler is well Whistler - it's a megaresort with a lot of hill easily accessible from YVR which means it draws big crowds all seaon. Sun Peaks more isolated (& even Kamloops isn't a huge town) more complex transfer, tamer reputation and probably quieter (though if you are in a Canadian school hol week all bets off).

One other difference if you are expecting a town like Banff, Sun Peaks will seem very small and sleepy in terms of off slope options and entertainment. Whistler is easily comparable.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why just 2 to choose from?

Relevstoke? Or a road trip on the "powder highway"?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fernie ........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love Whistler even as an oldie and it would certainly be more fun for a 21 year old than Sun Peaks which is very quiet. I too think Fernie would be worth a a look or even a ski safari (by car) taking in at a minimum Fernie and Red Mountain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you've 11 nights and are prepared to drive after skiing/in the dark you could do

4 days Fernie - drive to Nelson
1 day Whitewater - drive to Rossland
2 days Red Mtn - drive to Revelstoke
2 days Revy - drive to Golden
1 day Kicking Horse - drive to Louise
Last day Sunshine/Louise - drive to Calgary for evening flight

Pushing it a bit in 11 days and you might want to take a day to drive e.g. Fernie to Nelson but it shows what's possible if you road trip.

Of course it would be a lot easier just driving one way to say Kelowna and flying out of there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Idris, thanks for that nudge in a different direction , always thought Japan would be a lot more ££ s so never really looked at it . Do you do tour op or d i y .? 🤔
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
If you've 11 nights and are prepared to drive after skiing/in the dark ........

That's what we did, 19 days, off the hill by about three on day of transfer, in the digs by evening.

Pano > BW > Revvy > KH > SSV

The first transfer was the longest, the rest a doddle, but obviously weather permitting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BCjohnny, Light weight Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
We usually left about 4 - 4.30, for the evening drive LL > Revvy > SP > SS > BW >Red > WW > Kim > Castle, 18 days.

But have done it before so knew what to expect Madeye-Smiley Couple of long haul drives but ok really.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why go to Kimberley rather than the Ferndog?
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes, Did Fernie last time we did that route so a change.
Also had a disagreement with their oppo manager, regarding a liftie. So vowed never to return. Fernie town though is fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bones wrote:
BCjohnny, Light weight Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
We usually left about 4 - 4.30, for the evening drive LL > Revvy > SP > SS > BW >Red > WW > Kim > Castle, 18 days.

But have done it before so knew what to expect Madeye-Smiley Couple of long haul drives but ok really.

Each to their own I guess, be a boring old world if we all wanted the same thing, but a few thoughts on this ........

If you've been to some/most of the areas before, fair does, but if you're going for the first time it often takes at least a day or two to get your bearings, and if you have a few stops, by the time you've an handle on one place it's time to move to the next. So three or four days at each place is a nice taster.

Regardless TBH, it's probably best suited to adults, or at least older, non-fractious kids, as even amongst reasoning people there can be a certain amount of 'discussion'.

Even with less stops it can feel like you're on the road constantly, with all the attendant moving and packing, even if you live 'out of your bag', there's always a lot of kit in tow.

So sometimes packing a lot in might not be the best option, less is more and all that ......

Also, apart from the first hill, there was only a very general plan, booking on the hoof, so we stayed/moved as conditions and predilections advised, rather than just tick boxes.

Anyway, a road trip is thoroughly recommended, and JMO.
snow report
BCjohnny, I only meant light weight referring to the time you left Toofy Grin

Also the comment on having done it before and what to expect was reference to the roads wink

Agree about booking on the hoof, as we did, allowing for longer stops if the snows good - but you do have to be in certain places at times so you make it back to Calgary. Last seasons trip had some fine tuning from the first, next will again be tuned to suit.

It is tiring no doubt about that, and feeling like living out of a bag, isn't for everyone. Easy enough to get into a routine for moving on, and its a great way to experience a large chunk of the country.

So having done your trip would you do it differently next time ?
latest report
Yes, I would ......... I'd go for at least two months ........
ski holidays
BCjohnny, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

yeah me too, don't think work or finances would allow though Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Bones wrote:
BCjohnny, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

yeah me too, don't think work or finances would allow though Madeye-Smiley

Minor details to be worked through ........
snow report
BCjohnny, Toofy Grin

Stop giving me things to think about - Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just to go left field, what about Utah? Base yourself Park City or even SLC and you have oodles of day trips to more expansive stations.

Kicking Horse is great but there's like, 1 lift. Revelstoke has 3. I realise that's not the point exactly (and I have skied both) but still...

Given the choice, I'd hit UT.
ski holidays
under a new name,

agree with some of your comments ...... lapping the gondola at KH gets old quick, as I've said on here before, and at Revvy you frequently end up lapping the Stoke & Ripper chairs there too.

That's why three or so days at each location, IMO unless it's belting down, is often enough .......

Bones ...... ok six weeks then, c'mon you know it makes sense ......
latest report
@BCjohnny, still struggling with why a road trip beats easy "commutes" to arguably more interesting areas...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
...... still struggling with why a road trip beats easy "commutes" to arguably more interesting areas...

TBH not quite sure what your getting at ........ either works, depending on what you're looking for, and budget .......

And 'more interesting' is a subjective assessment based on aspiration and ability mainly, and again budget, so could be meaningless when comparing disparate groups of people.

Frinstance someone is is cash rich and time poor, maybe progressing and enjoying bashing the trails is probably going to want a totally different 'experience' from someone with opposite resources who's first priority isn't the groomers.

No need to struggle with it, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' so no need to debate it, you've expressed your views and me mine, as is usually the case in these things ....... wink
latest report
@BCjohnny, not looking to argue Happy
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Just to go left field, what about Utah? Base yourself Park City or even SLC and you have oodles of day trips to more expansive stations.

Kicking Horse is great but there's like, 1 lift. Revelstoke has 3. I realise that's not the point exactly (and I have skied both) but still...

Given the choice, I'd hit UT.

Don't go to Japan then.

All about lapping the lift.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@BCjohnny, still struggling with why a road trip beats easy "commutes" to arguably more interesting areas...

Personally I think the "powder highway" is more interesting than SLC.

For one thing, Park City is insane busy by N America standard.
snow conditions
Japan is way more reasonable than I thought it'd be. We're doing 13 nights self catering apartment flights and lift pass for 1600 quid.
latest report
@Mike Pow, nothing at all wrong with lapping the lift (I mostly ski Chamonix - which is pretty North American in its logistics) but from OP (despite mention of powder) I am not getting a strong message that a single lift accessing a massive and marvellous more or less completely off piste bowl was what was (between the lines) being asked for.

@Kimh, more detail would help more.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Mike Pow, nothing at all wrong with lapping the lift (I mostly ski Chamonix - which is pretty North American in its logistics) but from OP (despite mention of powder) I am not getting a strong message that a single lift accessing a massive and marvellous more or less completely off piste bowl was what was (between the lines) being asked for.

Reading back I think you're right.

Whistler.
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, that would be my immediate thought.

If you liked Banff, you'll love Whistler.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Yeah, well, me too ........
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:
abc wrote:

Yeah, well, me too ........

I would agree too - but they are different so cant really compare. Both good in their individual ways and reasons. Which is why we tend to do a mixture of both Smile
snow conditions
abc wrote:

Why?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
abc wrote:

Why?

The scenery better. Less crowd.

Though the REAL reason is I've been to SLC umpteenth times. Only been to Banff twice. Not been to the other mountains between Banff and Whistler yet.
latest report
@abc, ok, that's valid Happy

I found UT very quiet. But I've only been very early season and quite late season.
ski holidays
abc, so you haven't actually touched the 'Powder Highway' yet wink Toofy Grin
Book yourself a trip out there, you should enjoy it Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Holidayed in Sun Peaks this year - adored the place. Yes it is quiet, but what's not to love about that - if you ski first lift to last then you probably don't want to be out at a club until the small hours - though perhaps your son would? We were there during the Wine Festival, which was fun and created a buzz around the village.

My preference is for a one base holiday, not spending time trudging across country (getting to Canada from the UK was enough travelling for me, though the short second plane journey to Sun Peaks wasn't a chore) so I can get to know a resort inside and out, doing runs many times if I like them, exploring routes through the trees etc., and Sun Peaks had lots to like.

Super friendly place, we were able to ski out of the back of the hotel - Cahilty Lodge (which while a little dated was comfortable, clean and well run) - down to the lifts. Rarely queued more than a minute or two for a lift, often straight up and on.

I haven't skied Whistler, may do one day......but I think I would like another trip to Sun Peaks before then. Enjoy whichever resort/s you decide on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy