Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

slalom ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i'm looking at buying some discounted slalom race skis for a bit of fun on those icy days. The only thing is they only have 160cm length left in stock. I am 6ft 1in, and weigh 180lbs (about 13 stone), and an advanced skier.
As i only want them for messing about on, nothing to serious do you think i could get away with 160cm?? The skis are Elan SLR's?? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I will also be buying a serious pair of all mountain skis for my majority of use. I was thinking some with 80cm width, and about 175/180cm in length. Any advice if these would be suitable and suggestions of any makes would also be great. I generally ski fast by the way.
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No go full 165 for SL if you're on a real mountain. If you seriously want to go fast and have the skillz on an all mountain go mid 180s upwards.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
would i be surprised how much difference 5cm makes?? I do intend on using them on steep slopes yes.

As for the all mountain, i did look at some 184's so will definitely think more about that size now. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For recreational SL skis I would think about how your weight compares with the likely weight ranges that each of the four lengths that were made were for. The 155 will have been for really light women, the 170 for fat blokes and the other two somewhere in between.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
For recreational SL skis I would think about how your weight compares with the likely weight ranges that each of the four lengths that were made were for. The 155 will have been for really light women, the 170 for fat blokes and the other two somewhere in between.

well i suppose i'm fairly lightweight considering my height. 180lbs for 6ft 1in. I'm toying between getting 160 or the 165's. its just the pair i want only have 160's left in stock and i'm not sure how much difference 5 cm will make?? will it really matter? Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes ... 160 are too short . steeps or pushing
you will be going over the top
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they're "Cheater" SLs, you'd be able to get and be happier on 170s, maybe even 175.

If they're full FIS race, actually no, they're probably not as they usually only came in 155 and 165. Anyway, you'd want the 165.

All mountain? 180 or so.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
superG wrote:
Hi, i'm looking at buying some discounted slalom race skis for a bit of fun on those icy days. The only thing is they only have 160cm length left in stock. I am 6ft 1in, and weigh 180lbs (about 13 stone), and an advanced skier.
As i only want them for messing about on, nothing to serious do you think i could get away with 160cm?? The skis are Elan SLR's?? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I will also be buying a serious pair of all mountain skis for my majority of use. I was thinking some with 80cm width, and about 175/180cm in length. Any advice if these would be suitable and suggestions of any makes would also be great. I generally ski fast by the way.
Thanks

I was going to ask the same question today. I ski 170 on a standard ski, 175cm and 80kg and I was wondering what to go for in a race inspired ski 165 or 170 élan slx?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, IMHO, what you're looking for in an SL is nippiness and good grip on ice. The ice bit is mostly down to torsional rigidity which won't be so affected by a little extra length.

Nippiness will.

I'm 167cm and ski a 165. My wife's 155s are fun but I feel them just a little short. But I wouldn't want to compromise the short turn effects by going longer than mine (even if they made them).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
If they're "Cheater" SLs, you'd be able to get and be happier on 170s, maybe even 175.

If they're full FIS race, actually no, they're probably not as they usually only came in 155 and 165. Anyway, you'd want the 165.

All mountain? 180 or so.

Yes you can get a 170cm and a 165cm length in these skis. Do you think the 170cm would be better then? I have skied the 170cm version of the SLR's before and loved them but now most people seem to be swaying me more to the 165cm's?? Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@superG,
I'm quite a bit heavier than you and I have Head world cup rebels in 170. If you want a slalom ski I would think 165 is about right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@superG, if you've skied them and liked them, buy them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi everybody,
I am 6'2" and 190lb. Have Fischer Rc4 sc,165 (14m radius) and find them a bit short and unstable. How much of a difference 170 lenght would make? My skiing style is mix of slalom carve and old school ( legs close ,skiding) fast very short turns. Last pre carve ski I had was Volkl P40 SL (183cm) and I was perfectly happy with it.
So .....anybody has experience with 170/165 difference? And which "cheater" slalom ski is good at skid/drift?
Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy