Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glove liners / other solutions for COLD sweaty hands?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I've got Hestra gloves similar to these: https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine/32552-gauntlet-sr/260260/

I also wear Icebreaker merino glove liners.

I got a those Hestra gloves as they are meant to be highly breathable.

Yet, as I have sweaty hands, the liners get wet, then the gloves get wet and once wet they get cold and my hands are then freezing!

Would silk liners be better?

Any other solutions.

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those gloves have a PU grip palm, which I suspect won't be that breathable.

IMO. You are better with Leather, but without Goretex....so something like the Hestra Army Heli
https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/30572-army-leather-heli-ski/560/

So I suspect it's nothing to do with your liners.

IMO. Merino is better than silk...but silk is not bad, if you need something very thin.

You may also find that unless it's very cold, you wouldn't need glove liners with the Helis.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-02-18 23:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMHO: Silk liners can't be beaten (I'm also in the sweaty hand brigade), particularly as they are pretty tactile if you need to take your outers off to fiddle with things without exposing your skin. You can get them pretty cheap on eBay

Sometimes you can have cold hands after lunch if you let the gloves/inners cool down, so worth stuffing the inners inside your fleece etc, and also consider carrying a spare pair of dry outer gloves for the afternoon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use silk liners and take a couple of pairs out each day. If it feels like the hands are getting sweaty I swap out the liners before the main gloves get damp. I use the Hestra army leather gloves and went for goretex too thinking they'd be more breathable but they didn't seem much different to other non goretex gloves. But swapping liners works for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your hands are sweating because they're hot

Get some gloves with no liner
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Your hands are sweating because you're hot!

@rossyl, moving water vapour is one thing, you're not going to get rid of sweat no matter how breathable your gloves are. Your body uses your extremities as its first resort to get rid of excess heat so basically you are too well insulated for the amount of effort you're putting into your skiing. You have two choices:
1) get better at layering with light layers and be proactive open zips etc. when resting, riding lift or just standing around to cool your core temperature before your hands start sweating. ( it's a bit of a balancing act at first till you discover which bits of kit will work to do this)
2) wear thinner gloves with a short wrist to allow cold air over exposed veins/arteries.

I have exactly the same problem and have found that light winter work gloves (with thininsulate) are perfect and as I board, a second pair fit a pocket with ease. If it's really cold I have some light windproof overmits in my pack.
The other secret is to have your gloves loose so that air can move around your fingers and hands and out of the cuff taking warm moist air away before it soaks the lining replacing it with cold dry air to cool your hot hands. When you move or hold your poles it acts like a pump to move air around.

Before you shop the ski outlets, have a gander in B&Q etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy