Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi and my first question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I was a keen skier until I flipped my motorcycle and ended up an above knee left leg amputee. Now my kids are getting into it I really want to give it ago again.
My question is!!! How do you protect your stump if you fall? I have been an amp for over 10 years now but still wince at even the thought of hurting my stump, can’t even watch falls on You’ve Been Framed without shivers running up and down my missing leg???
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads! I've got nothing useful to contribute except to say that there is a separate forum on Snowheads for disability snowsports. You will probably get more response here, but it might be worth trawling through there as well for more informed views. Hope you get the answers you are looking for.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BigJAK, as suggested by foxtrotzulu, there are lots of places with possible advice: the snowheads resource and the various disability organisations.
With proper prosthetic and orthotic advice, you should not have any need for more anxiety than the non-amputee skiing.
And to help your spirits, have a look at the winter paralympics: https://www.paralympic.org/news/pyeongchang-2018-day-1-preview.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BigJAK, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

As mentioned by @foxtrotzulu, there is a separate Forum thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=44

Ultimately only you can decide what level of comfort and risk you are willing to take, but as I am sure you are aware the level of technology for skiing advances rapidly, as you will have seen in the Paralympics.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome. You should get plenty of informed advice. Can I suggest a less obvious place that may also assist?
NABD will no doubt have members who ski and may assist.
http://www.nabd.org.uk/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Disability Snow sports UK perhaps the best/first port of call. Usually contactable by phone. I believe the do some snowdome activities too - Manchester Chill Factors nearest for you?
Good luck, and enjoy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BigJAK, Technique plays a big part in determining whether you fall on your stump or not. Guys that I've skied with often wear ice hockey crash pants because normally if they fall, they fall onto their hips.
If you have other questions, please ask... I've been teaching adaptive skiing for many years.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Disability Snow sports UK

+1 They are incredibly helpful
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, I will go over to the disabled portion of the forum.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BigJAK wrote:
Thanks all, I will go over to the disabled portion of the forum.

Yes, but don't dissappear down that rabbit hole and stay there. You'll have plenty to contribute with us here in the forum body. Lots of us are a bit broken or impaired . . . at least our sliding seems to indicate that . . . Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed so just join t'club (asylum).
Give a thought to snowboarding as it's control is primarily through your hips via one effective edge. It would allow you use a prosthetic and minimise fatigue.
Look forward to seeing you on a 'bash' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably not useful for the OP due to distance, but anyone else interested might like to not that DSUK and Snowbility are having an open weekend at Hemel on 7th/8th April
https://www.facebook.com/events/581575352210344/?ti=as
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy