Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jackets in sales

Poster: A snowHead
Is it too early yet ? Anything good out there ? Need a new jacket so thought I'd wait until about now and see if there's anything good going, but not seen anything yet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@eblunt, Since everyone’s taste and budget is different, you would need specify your size and what you consider “good”.

It’s not too early, I’m getting mails daily from outdoor retailers and companies advertising their end of season sales.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, Good point - Male large, something in the £100 - £200 range , not quite sure how to quantify good .. something hardwearing and warm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or just go onto Sport Pursuit at any time. Top brands at half price or better any time of year. You just have to wait for the thing you want to come along. I'm trying to wean myself off tbh, it's quite addictive for a bargain hunter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Penry, Won't let me have a look without signing up, but thanks anyway
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could just sign up. Only cost to you is two emails a day
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eblunt wrote:
@Penry, Won't let me have a look without signing up, but thanks anyway

Go onto gmail and register an email address. Something like

Stoppissingmeoffwithshiteemails@gmail.com

However, I find that if you go to normal shops you will get something decent at a reasonable price.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can unsubscribe from the emails. I think I get them about once a week as I didn't fully unsubscribe. Arcteryx on at present.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can also vouch for Sport Pursuit - it's worth the email sign up and there is no danger. They offer some incredible deals on clothing. You can unsubscribe from their emails at any time.

Another one to look out for is thesportsoutlet (.co.uk). They offer superb deals on Scott, Eider and Burton stuff and it's free delivery too!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MAX_Chase, @Penry, I've caved in and subscribed, and yes there is some good stuff there !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpine trek, normally have some good deals around about now
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MAX_Chase wrote:
I can also vouch for Sport Pursuit - it's worth the email sign up and there is no danger. They offer some incredible deals on clothing. You can unsubscribe from their emails at any time.

Another one to look out for is thesportsoutlet (.co.uk). They offer superb deals on Scott, Eider and Burton stuff and it's free delivery too!

The only danger is I suspect that on some items they want to get a min amount sold before they actually go and buy the stock, so you might get a let down email later blaming issues with data in their stock system even when saying they had it "in stock" when ordering.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MAX_Chase, Theres no danger with sportspursuit.....really?????....except when one of their idiot web designers copies the database, card numbers and all and the copy gets hacked...emails we used are now all spammed, card numbers got used by someone trying to buy £10k of tv's from John Lewis. If they make mistakes with your order, or send you items with faults, the return postage you pay they credit back to you as a credit on your account, that then gets wiped if you don't use it. ............Nice bargains yes, but beware..............
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zorrac my experience with them says otherwise. I was referring to there being no danger logging in with your email address with it being sold on or spammed - at least there wasn’t when I bought from them.

I also haven’t subsequently experienced any of the issues you mentioned. Maybe you were unlucky?

Either way, I’m sure that anyone purchasing from them would be covered, either by them or by their bank, should someone hack or use their credit/debit card to do something naughty.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had to return a faulty item - contacted them sending a photo. They arranged for the replacement to be dispatched immediately (which I had before returning the faulty item). When they gave me the address to return to (which was at their expense) i asked to hand deliver as it was going to be easier that visiting a post office as it was very close to a work site I was already scheduled to visit that week in Farnborough.
snow report
I have generally been reasonably happy with sport pursuit but you do get a feeling sometimes that some of the tertiary brands you have never heard of before are manufacturing to order based on what the “flash sale” will generate.
I also get a feeling that there is a much higher number IME of “seconds”, shop soiled product etc - so I find they are generally priced correctly given the returns hassle etc and not the great discount that they appear initially!
snow conditions
There's a lot of good brands in there - Helly Hansen, Peak Performance, Hestra etc...

Worth a look at EIDER - less well known perhaps, but good reputation - google Eider ski jacket review to check - and they have a 200 pound jacket there as their most expensive one (their waterproof membrane seems well regarded in reviews and saves you having to pay for all the Goretex advertising...)

There's a couple of HH jackets also for 220...

And i still have my old free excite.com email address as my 'junk' email address Very Happy - used for all online registration etc. No one should use their primary email for that kind of thing (and then complain about spam).
snow report
@MAX_Chase, It caused a large number of people issues, and sportspursuit tried to hush it up and deny it, and didn't inform about it and admit they had a leak until serious issues started happening. I have my own domain so just block the emails used, but they repeatedly denied they had a problem and they had lost email addresses as well, the emails spammed could have only come from them. they basically told me I was lying. I initially only found out when my credit card company rang at around midnight to ask if I was buying tv's from John lewis. At that point they did not know the source of the leak. Changing credit cards was a total pain.

I also had not given them permission to keep all my credit card information................

Sportpursuit then would not enter into dialogue about it until way too late and actually tell you what they had lost......even then they were in denial......dire organisation (or maybe disorganisation). If you have a data leak admit it straight away.

Jump to their protection if you want............because you like the bargains etc...........but beware what you are dealing with and their very dubious past history.
latest report
@Zorrac, Thanks for the heads up, I'll think I'll use a 'burner' to buy anything with.
snow conditions
If using Sport Pursuit and need an item within the next few weeks remember to use the "quick delivery" filter at the bottom of the filter list. Without it most items seem to take 2-4 weeks to be delivered.

Also - sports direct also do some Helly Hansen stuff. I assume it's not a knock off. See here
Can also get 20% off this if you order through their app ... so a £300 RRP jacket for about £150?
snow report
Another fan of sportpursuit, I've used them since they started up and have never had a problem with them or had my card details stolen.

I order a couple of pair of ski socks from them recently, they were dispatched a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't arrived by the next week, and the tracking indicated that they were stuck at the royal mail sorting office, so I contacted them this week to ask them to check, they came back same day, apologised as the royal mail have lost them, so they dispatched two new pair same day.
ski holidays
Yep +1 here for sports pursuit also, bought a couple of Isobaa mid layers for about 30 quid last week or so. Only pain is you have to cover postage back if something doesn't fit you.

They've been good with me, I bought a few items.. The next day I wanted some more stuff and they waived the postage for the second lot of gear after quick email to them. I have to stop looking though, I could spend a pretty penny with them given half a chance. Always something I like Laughing
snow conditions
Arc'teryx jackets back on sale in sportpursuit
snow report
and an "Easter Ski Blowout", which is just all the ski gear the have on site at the minute, but its in one place.
snow conditions
Quote:

Worth a look at EIDER - less well known perhaps, but good reputation - google Eider ski jacket review to check - and they have a 200 pound jacket there as their most expensive one (their waterproof membrane seems well regarded in reviews and saves you having to pay for all the Goretex advertising...)

I can certainly recommend Eider. I bought a ski jacket - half price in Val D'Isere at the end of season sales a couple of seasons ago and I am very impressed - really warm and surprisingly lightweight - not really tested the waterproof bit as fortunately I havent skied in much rain with it. Definitely snow and wind proof though.

Ellis Brigham have some in their sale - and I suspect others too - but if you are going on a late holiday its worth a look in the resort - especially if its a proper town. Or if you are driving there are good bargains down the valley in the ski shops
snow report
Yes Sport Pursuit can be good. I got what would have been a fantastic 3l gortex Sweet Protection jacket from them earlier this year for just under 200. I was delighted when it arrived, unfortunately the cut of it meant it pulled round my backside when squatting (I'm a snowboarder) so I had to send it back. Downside is you have to pay your own postage for returns (unless faulty) so it cost me a fiver, but they were very quick at refunding.

I subsequently found a North Face goretex jacket on Sports Direct for a snip over 200. (205 or 215, I forget which). Wore it for my first trip in February. and it was superb. So they are worth a look too.

There's certainly some bargains to be had on Sport Pursuit though, but as always it pays to shop around and not just assume their offers are the cheapest- they emailed me today, one of the highlights being 43% off a Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire HR. Having followed the link and shopping around I found it was still £60 cheaper on Amazon.

Whilst shopping around I also found Absolute Snow to have a good range of jackets and decent prices too, so worth a look. I also like the huge range of filters they have on their search function.
ski holidays
Sport conrad is selling a lot of kit from their test event - Norrona, Ortovox, Dynafit, Arcteryx etc. Some seriously good deals, although a lot in my size has gone since I first looked yesterday (thankfully!)
ski holidays
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iztok973
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
planks have a yard sale on
snow conditions
Gazzza wrote:
I subsequently found a North Face goretex jacket on Sports Direct for a snip over 200. (205 or 215, I forget which). Wore it for my first trip in February. and it was superb. So they are worth a look too.

Whilst shopping around I also found Absolute Snow to have a good range of jackets and decent prices too..

I think Sports Direct also require you to fund posting for a return to their distb centre, rather than being able to drop off a return at one of their retail outlets which I had assumed you could do with them.

Definitely still look around to be sure you are getting the bargain you think you are.
ski holidays
The Musto sales are on. Top quality kit.
snow report
I think Sport Pursuit has gotten better in recent years. I’ve now bought two sets of Sweet Protection jackets and bibs for my wife; a Norrøna falketind jacket; and a set of sweet protection bibs and jacket for me over the years, and never had any issue. This year my jacket and bibs were delivered within 4 days.
latest report
I think Sport Pursuit has gotten better in recent years. I’ve now bought two sets of Sweet Protection jackets and bibs for my wife; a Norrøna falketind jacket; and a set of sweet protection bibs and jacket for me over the years, and never had any issue. This year my jacket and bibs were delivered within 4 days.
snow report
£200+ for a jacket is a good deal?! wink

You can pick up reasonable jackets for less than £50, that are perfectly adequate for the majority of skiers doing a couple of weeks per season. Don't have one of those nice fashionable logos on though.
ski holidays
I did 10 years in £50-£60 trespass jackets from TK Maxx, and I'm one for a bargain. They were fine for what they were, and lasted a 2-4 seasons each, but having spent 200 on a decent goretex
jacket the difference is noticable. Miserable conditions for a couple of days last February half term, hoiking it with rain. Wife and kids came off dripping through to the skin (and her jacket was £150 from snow and rock). I came off bone dry, other than a bit of moisture around the wrists from the wrist opening. Same with the gortex gloves, my hands were dry and toasty, the kids gloves I had to literally ring water out of them. The jacket feels great quality, time will tell about lastability vs the cheapo ones I used to use. Label aside, there's a big difference.
snow conditions
I'm not saying the more expensive jackets are not better. Just that they are overkill for the average person doing a couple of weeks skiing a year. We had rain today and I was riding in a £50 trespass (10000m waterproof rating) and came off the mountain bone dry. I guess if you have the money go for it.
snow conditions
I bought my Marmot Randonee jacket for £180 off sportpursuit. I was a little wary so spending so much on a jacket, but it is absolutely brilliant, the difference between this and my older jackets is night and day. Yes its expensive, but then again, so are skis, boots and skiing holidays.

And I also use my skiing jacket around town when its raining.

I'm sure it will wear out at some point and then I'll have to try to find a similar jacket from somewhere, not looking forward to that day.
snow report
i am looking at the Nevica Whistler jacket in sports direct, it was a RRP of £399.99 with 80% off down to £79.99, then for today an additional 20% off that BUT can £64 really get you a decent ski jacket?
snow conditions
@Jonny996, stats looks ok from a waterproof and breathability POV. For reference Gore-Tex® has a waterproof rating of 28,000mm (the amount of rainfall a fabric can withstand in a single day)

> 20,000mm waterproof
> 20,000mm breathable
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
I'm not saying the more expensive jackets are not better. Just that they are overkill for the average person doing a couple of weeks skiing a year. We had rain today and I was riding in a £50 trespass (10000m waterproof rating) and came off the mountain bone dry. I guess if you have the money go for it.

That's not my experience of a 10,000m rated jacket, I'd be soaked thru after a days skiing in rain, unless it was only a few showers!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy