Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My friend and I have organised a very impulsive ski trip in Tignes (lechavet) mid April. I have some questions i hope you can help with:

1. I've skied once before around 20 years ago in valmorel (for a 3 day trip). I didn't have any lessons and pretty much taught myself and by the end of the trip i was going down blue runs with parallel turns (albeit ungracefully). first question is will any of that come back to me (e.g. is it like riding a bike) or will i more or less be starting from scratch again.

2. Do you think it would be worth visiting some slopes in the UK to have some lessons first before going out and if so would snow domes or artificial slopes be best. Given that i'm only out for 3 days i'd rather not be in ski school whilst in france and want to spend time with my pal (who can ski). These 'learn to ski in a day' packages look good but are they worth the money.

3. I have read mixed reports about Tignes not being great for beginners. Are there any recommendations on where to go in the tignes area to suit my lack of ability but also ensure my pal doesn't get too bored waiting for me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a week's skiing in 2002 with tuition in Bulgaria, and was managing to do blue runs okay. Life circumstances meant I couldn't afford to go skiing again until 2013. I booked myself in on a one day (six hours including lunch I think) group course at Hemel Snow Centre in late 2012. I was genuinely surprised that it didn't come back to me. I was one of the stronger ones in the group, but then I tend to learn physical skills fairly quickly anyway. By the end of the day I was at a level where I was allowed to ski down the main slope on my own - probably not far off where I had been in Bulgaria.

It could be that skis have changed a bit since then, or perhaps a week wasn't long enough for it to be written into the autopilot part of the brain. But basically I was like a beginner.

You'll get a lot more out your holiday if you learn the basics here in the UK first, simply because it is so tedious plodding up and down nursery slopes - and exhausting too. You don't want to wear yourself out in the first few days of your holiday. It's a lot less effort once you're no longer side stepping up hills, hanging off rope tows, or standing around waiting for your turn. All the while there is a whole beautiful mountain out there you are missing out on!

I had a few more lessons and practice sessions at Hemel before I went to Les Menuires on my own, and I was fine then on the greens and blues and never looked back.

There's some reasonable blues in Tignes, you won't be short of places to ski, but it's definitely not as filled with blues as some other resorts and they're (in my fairly limited opinion) not as easy blues as in other places either. You may well learn quickly and that won't matter, but definitely do a "ski in a day" course or similar first before leaving!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Echo all of the above. And, if you can, have a lesson or two in France. It will help make you a much better skier in the long run and help eradicate bad habits.

I've been skiing for 45 years and I still have a lesson now and then. It really does help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, definitely, definitely get lessons in resort! Ideally every morning (cheaper that way, too) but even a few private lessons will make a huge difference. I found out very quickly that I had a lot of things to learn on "proper" snow compared to what I had been experiencing at Hemel (indoors real snow). Not just the change in conditions, but the speed! My private instructor kept commenting to me that I was so slow and I needed to go faster. I was confused, this was the speed I had learned at.. and of course I had with just 160m of slope to use. It really helped having an instructor give me the confidence to go faster.

And how to cope with real ice, tips for making turns when it suddenly gets steep and icy.. stuff that can be sort of taught in theory in a snowdome but it's really really not the same as doing it in practice.

The downside being, of course, when I returned to ski at Hemel and I would get down in about 10-15 seconds versus the minute it had taken before. More time spent proportionally on the damn lift!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To get maximum time with your friend out on the real slopes i'd advise doing a good full days worth of lessons in the UK. Also if you book a private lesson in resort it doesn't have to be a full day session it can be 2/3 hours in the morning which will give you a big confidence booster for the rest of the day/ holiday.

Have Fun!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All replies have been really helpful. When i have looked online at 'in resort' lessons they all seem to be weeklong courses. If I want a quick 3 hour morning session on day 1 only will i be best to just find something once I'm there or should i contact a company direct to book something in.

I live in Bristol so the nearest snow dome is either tamworth or milton keynes (i think). Any idea which is better?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you live in Bristol, have a look at the Gloucester slope. Tamworth or MK are quite a trek.

If you google ski schools Tignes, you will find a load of British-run organisations that offer private lessons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. I notice there is also a dry slope in the mendips (40 mins away). Would anyone be able to advise if its better to have private lessons rather than group? At £60 a pop private lessons sounds pricey but if i can learn faster it might be cheaper in the long run.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Tignes last year and going again this year with the family, I thought it was excellent for beginners. I’d also definitely recommend private lessons, even if it’s just for the first few mornings. They’ll improve your technique which means you can ski more runs and also take you around the area so you have a better idea of where to and not to ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hadn't skied for over 20 years until last year. I was at a good standard when I skied previously and found that everything came back to me in a matter of minutes. That is probably because I learnt as a child though so it may be a bit different for you.

I have done a few weeks skiing since then - am off to Les Arcs in about a week too - and would definitely recommend some sort of lessons however good you are. Personally I don't think the dry slopes are that great for progressing your skills - much better in a snow-dome - so, if you can get a full day's lesson before you go, I think you will get a lot more out of your trip.

We skied in Val D'isere in January so were in Tignes quite a lot. I would have thought it was quite good for an early intermediate (sounds about where you are if you can link parallel turns). Loads of big, wide, cruising slopes arranged around a 'bowl'. If you head to Val D'isere though, there are some tricky slopes there. I have skied tougher reds than some of the greens there!! If you do go, stick to the green triangle around where you come over from the Tignes Links (around the Borsat lift). I wouldn't try to ski down to either La Daille or Val D'isere as those are tricky runs for your experience! You can always go down on the Olympique Gondola to have a loo around Val D'isere - I would recommend that as it is a beautiful village!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ktj_sbs, may be worth giving them a call to find out how many are in the group that you are considering joining. My local dry ski slope is much less busy when it comes to lessons after Feb half term than before so the group lessons could end up being quite small.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. The other issue i have is that my pal is trying to convince me to board instead but just feel it'll be a waste of a trip as i'll likely spend most of it on my backside. I think the way to go is book a dry slope ski session and see how it goes. i'm sure it can only help.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ktj_sbs, will definitely only help.

The other thing is to find out if they have a learn to ski / board in a day special. I have seen these advertised at my local slope as well. Especially with the slope being a reasonable drive from you?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They do have a deal at the moment. but not a full day course

Buy an Ultimate Learn to Ski or Snowboard Package for £128 (worth up to £427). ONLY 50 AVAILABLE
- Five group ski or snowboard lessons worth £172
- Includes equipment and helmet hire
- 25% discount off any repeat lessons
- FREE all day slope pass worth up to £30
- FREE Ski or Snowboard with an Instructor session or Ski Sunday session worth £25
- Optional HALF PRICE annual slope pass and save up to £200!!!
- Valid for 18 months
- Book your lessons online 24/7
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy