Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone can help. I've been skiing on an ancient set of of Head 260i ski's for the last 10 years and it's time for an upgrade.

I am no where near up to date on ski's/styles, could anyone recommend a simulacra style of more modern ski?

Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should check out the Head iShape...either Speed or Magnum...which are probably their natural successor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What sort of skiing are you doing? i.e. mainly on smooth groomed piste or some off-piste too?

There are a lot of more versatile "All-Mountain" type skis around compared to 10 years ago and skis are generally getting wider and easier to live with. It's not unusual now to have piste oriented skis in the 80-90 mm waist range, that work pretty well in a very wide range of snow conditions. Tip and tail rocker is also pretty much standard today, making turn initiation and release much more user-friendly. I think you will be impressed with how much better skis are now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the advice both. I'm mainly on piste.

Really interesting that the ski's are getting wider - last time I bought ski's they were getting shorter, can't make up their minds.
I'll check out the head iShape today but if you have any other recommendations trailmonster I would be keen to hear.
Heading out early March so I might try a couple of different options in the rental store if I haven't committed by then!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried out the head world cup rebel iGSR's in Are and I loved them on the piste, but didn't really get on with the Shape MX's which I used a few weeks later in Les Gets. I also tried the Atomic Vantage 83 in Zell am See a couple of weeks after that and they were great in on the piste

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-02-18 14:28; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bevanuk wrote:

I'll check out the head iShape today but if you have any other recommendations....

Other Piste skis to look at:

Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti
Rossignol Pursuit 700 Ti
Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Ti

IMO. If you spend most of your time on Piste, then you are better on a Piste Ski. All Mountain skis are getting better every year, but they are still a compromise.

if you want to try some All Mountain Skis, you might look at:
- Blizzard Brahma
- Rossignol Experience 88
- Dynastar Legend X88
- Volkl RTM 84
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much for this, really helpful!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a pair of I shape pros which definitely come to life when you start pushing them. They're a handful off piste but then that's not what they're designed for.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Old Fartbag is generally right, but then again I prefer AM skis to more dedicated piste skis - mainly because most of my skiing is in soft BC snow, whether on or off piste and I spend a fair amount of time on 100+ mm skis. I just don't get on with more racey piste skis these days and a decent AM ski can cope with ice pretty well anyway.

If I was personally looking for an easy-going but still high performance piste ski today, I would be looking at the new Nordica Navigator range (80,85,90 mm versions). They look ridiculously easy to carve and won't bite if you mess up or simply don't want to put much effort into it. I may well buy a pair as they are pretty decent value for money too.

The Head iMagnum is a nice ski if you really want something for piste performance that still isn't too demanding for everyday use, but I'd go for the wider iRally or iTitan for added versatility in variable snow. Not every day is perfect firm groomers.

One thing is for sure, you should be impressed with what is out there compared with your 10 year old 260s.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all, I'm out next week so reserved a set of the Head Ishape and have the option to swap for the Dynastar 12 if I wish to - that appears to be all they have in stock but hopefully get used to some newer skis and be able to make an informed decision.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bevanuk wrote:
Thanks all, I'm out next week so reserved a set of the Head Ishape and have the option to swap for the Dynastar 12 if I wish to - that appears to be all they have in stock but hopefully get used to some newer skis and be able to make an informed decision.

Let us know what you think - and I hope that will be (very) positive. If you have access to the iShape and the Speed Zone 12s, you are (imo) getting to try 2 of the finest Piste skis out there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy