Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying insurance with ski pass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Typically I would buy insurance when I buy my ski pass - even though I already have annual travel insurance.

The idea that I just flash my receipt and everying is paid for, without having to claim back anything or pay an excess always gave me a bit of piece of mind and is worth a few euros to me.

But having just witnessed an incident with a friend on holiday, I think I've just realised I'm just stupid. Ski pass insurance just gets you off of the mountain.. is that correct? It doesn't actually cover any medical bills?

If so, then getting ski pass insurance is completely pointless, cos I will need to pay locally for and put in a claim for healthcare anyway through my normal travel insurance. So I will need to pay my insurance excess.. and it would have covered the evacuation too.

Is that correct?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The c. Neige we buy with our season pass certainly covers a lot more than that. The policy lasts all year and so gives us peace of mind for snow shoeing and summer hiking. Mountain evacuation can be hugely costly in France so we'd probably get it anyway even if it didn't cover hospital bills which it does too. It costs about 60 euros so really is a no brainer for us.
Also you don't have any of the fannying about with off/side/on piste definitions which seems to be a very UK insurance obsession.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It doesn't actually cover any medical bills?

It depends. Many resort facilities are private clinics. Many discussions about this on Snowheads - do a search. There are limits and small print. But for such little money - about the cost of a coffee in one of the less expensive resorts - it would be absurd to expect everything to be paid for at the "flash of a receipt".

Personally I find Carte/Carré Neige insurance worth the small outlay for the "no questions asked" mountain evacuation alone. And always carry an EHIC too. Belt and braces wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So regarding the c. neige:

@pam_w
Quote:

for such little money - about the cost of a coffee in one of the less expensive resorts - it would be absurd to expect everything to be paid for at the "flash of a receipt".

@gvi
Quote:

we'd probably get it anyway even if it didn't cover hospital bills which it does too

So which of you is right?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AntonAusTirol wrote:
So regarding the c. neige: ... which of you is right?

Probably @gvi - see this link.

But note this is a product specifically for the Savoie region of France - elsewhere you may not get the same benefits.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We made use of our Carte Neige insurance in Espace Killey last season. The benefits (no bills to pay) were:

1. Recovered from mountain
2. Ambulance from La Daille to clinic for injured skier and companion (me)
3. Treatment in clinic in Val d'Isere
4. Prescription knee support from pharmacy in Val d'Isere - I think I had to pay for that
5. Transport to hotel in Tignes
6. Refund for unused ski pass - this has to be claimed back after trip, won't refund in resort

Overall the real benefit was no forms to complete (apart from ski pass refund), quick release from clinic (no need to contact holiday insurance) and quick repatriation to our hotel. There was another lady in the clinic with similar injuries (walking wounded) who couldn't leave until receptionist had spoken to her insurance company as she didn't have credit cards to pay the bills, and then when ready to leave she was pointed the local bus stop as the route to get back to Tignes.

There are other benefits (if the driver is injured I think they provide a driver to take you home) but it won't cover hospitalisation and treatment in a critical care hospital - your personal insurance is still needed for that.

A few seasons ago a friend was air lifted off Orange piste and clinic held his skis hostage until helicopter bill was paid - he didn't have Carte Neige insurance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

So which of you is right?

We're both right - this is not a simple question. Do what I suggest, and do a thorough search on Snowheads. Also look at the relevant websites and read ALL the small print.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
some reading for you

http://www.natives.co.uk/holiday/the-lowdown-on-carte-neige-insurance/3994

https://carreneige.com/en/

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=831244&highlight=carte+niege
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Friend broke his wrist in Cervinia last April, had insurance on the lift pass (plus his own anyway), told a member of lift staff, skidoo to the bottom and ambulance to nearby medical centre, all treatment paid for by the ski pass insurance. No outlay. Back in the bar for apres.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy