Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Rando Chiens are back in action

Poster: A snowHead
Know how a few on here like seeing pics of Les Chiens in the mountains.

Yesterday was there first big ski tour of the season up to La Gardiole 2,763m having parked up at around 2,000m

Beanie, the hairy one is getting very good at posing now when I say "smile".

Did find the going tough at times in the varied snow-pack.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic!! This could quite quickly become the most popular thread on Snowheads! snowHead
(ps: I think I quite fancy myself as a ski tourer... I must look into it)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What happy little dogs! Great life they have. Hope you have a great season Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aww, love seeing your doggie pics. Make me smile every time. Keep them coming. They could have their own calendar methinks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another "like" from me. Like the videos even better Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Full marks. Woof.

Did you have to train them to keep away from your edges?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gämsbock, don't know whether you saw this one from a couple of weeks ago

http://youtube.com/v/gbRFk8GFJl0
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, ooh, no I missed that. Thanks! Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, Smile Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very cute. Jack Russells?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This was yesterday

http://youtube.com/v/f6eSnCa6xIo
snow report
With so much powder this season Rando Chien action has been a little limited.

However we've had a few days of Spring weather and yesterday we opted for a big tour up to one of our favourite summits.

Snow was actually more powder than classic Spring snow so the dogs did find it hard going - and where ever possible worked out it was easier to run down the skin track we made going up as you'll see in the video.

Was also a tad breezy on the summit Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/EQ4T1RMYEp8
ski holidays
Very Happy
snow conditions
@Weathercam, ...excellent slowmo edit...they deal with the powder brilliantly.

I have a question, and it’s not a criticism. How do you tell when they are puffed and worn out? As their owners you must know them intimately, but we still had a problem really knowing when we went mountain-biking with a Lakeland. He was fearless and bonkers, and rode the 6km to the South Downs in a basket on the rear of Ant’s bike. We would then ‘...unleash the hound!...’ and he would keep up with uphill and down dale for mile after mile. I remember doing a lonnnnnng dusty descent and pausing at the bottom to let him catch up. A pall of dust was wafting down the hill, and in it was a tiny plume from a tiny dog hurtling towards us. Brave mite. He would collapse panting, but the second we showed signs of setting off, he would be up and running. We would pause for water stops, and rest breaks, but he would seem to go forever. One day after a Brighton-Eatbourne run, we discovered his pads were in a terrible state - he’d shown no sign of distress at all during the ride. So that’s out experience, what’s yours?
snow report
@valais2, it is a concern especially the shorter haired one (she is the mother) who is now eight.

Unlike MTB on the Downs (which they do when I'm back in UK), ski touring they are just walking on the climb, unless it's deep powder and then we don't take them on big powder days.

So then it's only the down hill which is never more that 8km and in good spring snow they are not sinking in as much as they were a few days ago - in fact I was not going to take them as I was a little concerned about the snow pack.

The biggest problem is the hairy one when in cold powder snow balls build up on her tummy and between her chassis and legs and arms so have to clean those off.

One of my other Jacks I use to run over the Downs with and she's actually run with me in certain races and we did the Three Forts Marathon but I distinctly remember the day when it was obvious she was not up for it any more.

At least with ski touring I can put them in the back pack if the old girl is showing signs of tiredness, but then what do I do with the dogs Laughing

This was a few years ago when Beanie was young and not as strong and was having problems in the fresh

@valais2, you mention "Ant" are we talking a Baker ???
latest report
@Weathercam, l’ll PM re South Downs details....just off to Ferrari exhibition at Design Centre and will pm when we get back ....
snow conditions
@Weathercam, your dogs are off piste a lot, should they not be wearing transceivers?
latest report
@andy1234, is that a serious question ?

If it is, just think of the possible ramifications.
ski holidays
There actually are dog transceivers, the Pieps TX600, but they are only searchable from Pieps DSP Pro transceivers.

https://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-tx600

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 11-03-18 14:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@andy1234, is that a serious question ?

If it is, just think of the possible ramifications.

Dog training classes for avalanche rescue, where do the shovel and probe go? Laughing
latest report
So there's seven of us like a few days ago, we all have transceivers and then hypothetically there's the dogs with them as well and a number of us get caught in a slide..............or all of us.

Rescue services on the scene and they start searching - and in that all important first 20 mins they end up finding two buried dogs first.

Not the best of ideas.
snow report
Quote:

Rescue services on the scene and they start searching - and they end up finding two buried dogs first.

The dog units transmit on a different frequency, 456Khz which you switch to if searching for them using specific Pieps transceivers.
"Pressing both the flag and scan buttons for three seconds while searching tells the Pro to search for a Pieps TX600 Dog Transmitter."

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/avalanche-beacon/pieps-dsp-pro#best-application

Our dog lives in the mountains and spends a lot of time on snow and out touring, so we have one as do some of his avalanche rescue dog friends living out here.
ski holidays
The dog transceivers I mentioned above, aren’t on the standard frequency, so you can only search for them deliberately.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, it was a jokey question as clearly the mutts are going to have trouble with the probe and shovel.

But I was also curious how you would feel if you led your dogs onto a slope which avalanched and buried one or both of them.

Interesting to hear about the dog specific transceivers @PowderAdict and @slowboarder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think even those dog specific transceivers would be too big for our little Jacks.

Plus, and I don't want to tempt fate, we really only go touring with them in Spring and or in the trees in powder never on open faces etc.

For sure there is always the chance and we would be so distressed if something were to happen, and there has been one occasion when I was a little concerned about the route and a hazzard and changed direction accordingly.

But as we all know too well shite can happen.

Just don't let my OH see those transceivers as I will be shelling out, that said pretty hard to find any online in Europe, there's your challenge one and all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Some have used those old 2.275kHz beacons that you can sometimes find on eBay. Pretty rare now though.

Another option would be something like a Loc8tor. Conveniently, they have very small tags but the operational frequency of 2.4GHz is quickly attenuated by lots of snow.

https://loc8tor.co.uk/
ski holidays
@altis, they look very similar to those Resqski locators I have somewhere in my garage - might be worth digging out and see if I can use some gaffer tape - seem to recall the range was not that great.
snow report
@Weathercam, ...I think you need to adapt to modern safety standards.

Each dog should have:

- a 100db whistle
- a charged mobile phone
- dogtag insurance
- a MIPS helmet
- dog transceiver and appropriate training
- back protector eg POC VPD
- canine-specific ABS
- avalung
- probe
- shovel

Simple