Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski school system for brand new skiiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title says, have a friend who we will probably rope into skiing and wondering what people think about the best ski school system (e.g. CSIA, ESF, BASI, PSIA, NZSIA, OSSV etc.)?

The end game being a skiier than can comfortably ski any piste and most ungroomed terrain.

My own experience was through the CSIA system and watching some friends go through ESF for their first outings seems to be very different based on things they've been taught. Specifically I got the feeling that ESF did not seem to teach an approach that produced a skier that had a strong basic understanding what was being taught and seemed to produce a skier that was unable to tackle terrain beyond what was covered in the lessons because of this.

NB: This is not to say that one country produces better skiers, the ESF guys can obviously ski as well as anyone but the route there seems very different.

Curious for peoples experiences. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MoonfireSpam, i would go with a recommended instructor or ski school regardless of the qualification
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have never had a poor lesson from a BASI instructor. I also like the PSIA...and I'm sure the CSIA will be similar. I've had mixed results from the ESF.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My own experience from maybe 4 occasions of each:

In ESF group lessons 30 years ago, there were 3 levels, and if the minimum number (4, 5) didn't turn up that group was not taught but apportioned to another level. There was some teaching and a lot of nice touring round the mountain.

In Canadian group lessons 20 years ago, there were 8 levels and each one was taught even if only one student turned up. There was a lot of teaching and some nice touring round the mountain.

I know which I prefer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've heard Canadian instruction is good but equally I think there are plenty of very good instructors in Europe.

Not sure if there is that much fundamental difference in the system it's down to how good individual ski schools and instructors are.

What you need are recommendations and here is where you will find them!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
Not sure if there is that much fundamental difference in the system it's down to how good individual ski schools and instructors are.
I think this is true. The difference in quality between a good instructor and a bad instructor will be way bigger than the differences between different qualification systems (which don't always translate in to predictable differences between how graduates of this systems actually teach).

My experience is that small ski schools are better than big ski schools, and if being taught be someone with the same native language as you is important then prioritise that. And ask for recommendations, here is a good a place as any.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 6-03-18 19:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They’re all the exact same, the only thing that changes is the quality of your instructor, regardless of where they’re from/what system they came through. Just look for a recommendation wherever you’re going
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Over the years, I have found a difference in approach.

In The States, their first priority was fun and enjoyment, which created a good and relaxed environment for learning.

With BASI, the instructor skied exactly how they wanted you to....and worked on new stuff on easy, unintimidating slopes, so you could concentrate on what you were being taught (without worrying about speed control)

The ESF were inclined to tell you how they wanted you to ski, while they then floated around with their legs together. The were also inclined to bring you to a challenging slope to work on something new - a sort of "You will learn...or you will die [Mr. Bond]"
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not in the system it's all anout finding good instructors who have a love of teaching. Having said that I'd suggest NZ, Canada and higher level BASI probably have the best approach to modern skiing I've seen. IASI also equal to BASI
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I like the CSIA approach, but as said it comes down to the personality of individual instructors far more than their qualifications. I've seen good, bad and indifferent CSIA trained instructors over the years.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I haven't had a huge number of lessons (most of them are on sH's bashes) but I've never paid attention to what accreditation instructors have. I think that the instructor themselves is more important, some describe things in ways that really make sense to me and I pick things up quickly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy