Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

switch to blades or stick to ski..........advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
That's how I read it as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me to. Unless you know SZK personally. And I don't recall seeing anything on SH since this thread on that subject, so how would he know from here?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stephen Neal, I'm not sure how SZK could be aware of the colour of your skin, so I don't believe he was making a racist remark. A quick trawl through some of SZK's previous posts would soon show that he often makes provocative and humorous remarks, sometimes to make a point and sometimes to inject a bit if humour. As others have said, I believe that SZK's walking like an ape comment referred to the evolution of skiing technology and was meant in jest, and not any kind of racist abuse.

I think you are right to believe that snowHeads in general are beyond the ignorance and viciousness of racism. I'm certain if that an overtly racist comment was posted here it would lead to immediate repudiation from other members of the site, and swift removal by Moderators.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 26-02-06 14:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
more likely he's referring to amusing chimp' like stance employed by most bladers I think, or is it less PC to point that out ? rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise wrote:
more likely he's referring to amusing chimp' like stance employed by most bladers I think ... Very Happy

Or it could have been that Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise, I think that's highly likely. On snowheads we're only racist about the French, surely???? wink wink wink wink wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise,
Quote:

more likely he's referring to amusing chimp' like stance employed by most bladers I think, or is it less PC to point that out ?

I always thought that was snowboarders. So it's bladers as well Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
People in glass houses and all that - we should admit nervous beginner skiers look by FAR the silliest - they've got the whole 'going to the toilet while holding the loo door closed' thing going on Twisted Evil ...you know hands and poles out forwards, ass out backwards, expression of pain on face Very Happy aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajhainey, Very true, however it's also true that many bladers do seem to adopt a position where their backs are more or less horizontal to the ground, their arms are dangling in fron t of them, and their legs are quite bent - definitely look like chimps to me! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
aj xx, funny, when I use the public toilets here, I have that 'relaxed skier stance'. Legs slightly apart, knees bent, leaning forward, whistle......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stephen Neal, Sorry Offensive reaction post removed, Peace, Love and Cat Tracks. Little Angel

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 27-02-06 15:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh dear playing the man not the ball .

A simple 'No, it was not supposed to be racist' would have sufficed. This just ups the ante and further p*sses off Stephen Neal - the offended party.

I think we need to realise that what people say and how others interpret it are not always the same.

..... and before you remind me :-

Yes I have called you, and others, various things in the past for which I apologise ....and yes you did take it well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got a bit out of hand, I think....

Having read a few of SMALLZOOKEEPER's posts before I can't see this as intended to be offensive...
Doesn't take fools too gladly but is capable of very humourous posts often just
to make a point... Unfortunately this apears to have hit the wrong mark....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I understand Stephen Neal taking offence. I knew him to be black from a previous post - not sure if from this thread or another. I'm quite willing to believe SZK didn't know, but as Latchigo says, a simple apology would have sufficed. There was also an exchange of cheap-shot stage whispers earlier in the thread, about Stephen, by SZK and Tim Brown. I thought that was reminiscent of the playground.

Stephen Neal, as an occasional blader (mostly on non-releasables, though I've recently purchased some releasables), I've appreciated your contribution on this thread and hope that you'll continue to make them. Racism really is very rare here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, there really wasn't any need for your last post, it really is quite out of order. There was obviously a misunderstanding, but no need to further inflame things.
ski holidays
That's a shame Sad I contributed to help reassure Stephen, kinda wish I hadn't now Embarassed
snow report
karencannon, Going back to your original question, I see no reason why you should not give blades a try.

I started off on evolutif skis -basically cut down versions of standard length skis.

I had a great time with them - but the emphasis in those days was to progress to as long a ski as you could, as quickly as possible.

Skiing, snowboarding, blading -it's all what the French call multiglisse. I think the anti-snowboard lobby has calmed down a bit - it is good enough for Jean Claude Killy after all.

I don't care how people slide down slopes, provided they don't crash into me or otherwise impair my enjoyment of the mountains.

Blades are definitely worth a go. Hire them and if you like them it is very cheap to buy a pair and they are easy to transport. A bloke at work has his own blades - but hires boots. This goes against all the standard advice, but he's happy.
latest report
Sorry by why an apology from SZK - if Stephen has been using snowblades for as long as he says then the term used to get used to skiboards is the "gorilla stance" - if anyone thinks that a gorilla isnt a member of the ape family then you are delving into depths of biology that are well beyond this forum - I notice that doesnt stop the physics getting a bit deep and meaningfull Wink.

Oh my god I have agreed with ISE about something ! Shock

Eto this weekend had a reason to be offended, Stephen relax a bit eh, your are reading too much into it.

Latchigo, I am the same I have 2 pairs of skiboards and rental boots Smile

I spend the past 2 days getting hammered after watching Scotland defeat the Evil Empire - hee hee hee Smile and come back to racism debates on a whether to snowblade thread.
ski holidays
obelix67, Isn't snowheads wonderful? We can turn any thread into something completely different!
latest report
obelix67,
Quote:

Oh my god I have agreed with ISE about something !

The 1st time is a bit of a shock Laughing
ski holidays
My aplogies to Stephen Neal and any offence i caused. I have absoulutley no time for any kind of <racisim and have this winter alone physically kicked out 3 racists from our shop. I too have been on the wrong end of racism as all of us are different creeds and colours to someone. I too know how much it hurts, so again i'm sorry if you picked up the wrong vibe.

wee wee at normal temperature, SZK. Little Angel

Thanks to all you Do-Gooders, easy to play the ball when you've not been tackled by the man. Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, cool that rules me out then Evil or Very Mad how the fk do you get racists in a ski shop - do you stock ski's the French wouldnt use, or perhaps in a different shade ? Oh god no those appeal to the Germans and those outher the Austrians, for heavens sake not an american pair.....huh ? confused ?? (Perhaps a Graham Norton accent as I am doing that might make it go down a treat Wink

Oh my god they didnt say I need a pair of boots that will only fit white feet !

Racism is for pussy's, Xenophobia is where it is at Cool taken to the right extreme you can hate your family and neighbours nevermind people you dont know. Shocked

Before anyone gets on my back I know it is serious - sometime I find it incredulous.
latest report
Ok so for the second time this season I took my wife out on piste, she is one of the 2% that get f*ked up epidurals during childbirth and as such has a dodgy disc as a result.

Anyway she went "skiing" as per her mates advise at Christmas and fell awkwardly and pinched the disc or whatever causes the pain from that area.

So today, no 1 son and no 2 son are booked into Ski School again so I convince her to try the snow blades.

Not only that but to come up Diablerets with us.

So we started slow over the first 50 meters and then she was off, parallel turns - not stops, but ploughs or directing her toes uphill to come to a stop. It was a huge jump in the ability to get downhill whilst making learning the technique easier to understand for her.

Dont get me wrong I still dont give a toss if she decides to go back to skis but hopefully she now has the mechanism to make the learning process easier before migrateing onto full length skis.

She got a bit grumpy when she went off piste and sunk, then struggled to get out.

She also got a little narky as I was practicing fakie and spins as we were coming down so slowly - it was only my second day out on the Spruce's and they are so much fun and dont sink easily.

And For the first time a/the lift guy went - "Hey Spruce cent vingt, c'est tres bon."

Mais Oui snowHead
snow report
ok now this looks strange

by jjue

So there is actually a group of kids in an engineering class at the university of utah who used junior sized snowboards on each foot, they have gone on to prototype an ultra wide skiboard based on their experiments with the snowboards ( pretty interesting stuff ) :
pictures of their first experiment

http://www2.eng.utah.edu/me4000wiki/index.php/Chumbley/CustomerRequirements

more stuff on their current experiments
http://www2.eng.utah.edu/me4000wiki/index.php/Chumbley/HomePage Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
obelix67, Skied last year with a snowboard on each foot. Bad physics. Too much work for the knees. Little Angel
ski holidays
even for me they look too fat Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy