Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen's "bomb shelter" - home for ski bums

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Aspen, America's traditional mecca for the rich and famous, provides unusual homes for the ski bums who make their beds and wash their dishes. These include 'The Yellow House', known as 'king of the dumps.' One resident describes it, on packing his bags at the end of the winter:

“I’m bummed out,” said Garen Distelhorst, 26, as he packed up his belongings. “This is a great ski-bum house — it’s like a big bomb shelter.” The article mentions the place as "holes...everywhere — the floor, the walls, the carpet, the back yard. What remains in good shape, however, is the homemade wooden bar in the corner of the living room."

This amusing account of the desperate domestic life of the ski bum is from today's Aspen Times.

Have any Snowheads bummed the winter in interesting surroundings?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isnt there something like this in a swiss ski resort? Im sure Ive seen something about a bomb shelter being turned into a hostel thingey?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't cast any light on that, but it's striking that there's no response to my enquiry. Presumably fellow Snowheads all live it up in classy hotels and chalets.

Are there no bona fide ski bums, or retired ski bums, in this cosy little nest?

It's hard to believe that no one around here has slept in a cardboard box outside a cablecar station.

What about overcrowded chalets and appartments? I once bummed a month in Val d'Isere with fellow student friends, kipping every night on the floor amidst 22 other bodies (it was a 6-bed apartment). We managed to cook for everyone every night on a 3-ring cooker. An epic trip!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Isnt there something like this in a swiss ski resort? Im sure Ive seen something about a bomb shelter being turned into a hostel thingey?

Yes, it's in Verbier
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
verbier has the bunker, a bomb shelter turned hostel. Cheap, but don't forget the ear plugs or a skin-full of alochol! http://www.thebunker.ch/ Af friend of mine did 1/2 a season living in bunk bed in a garage in 2 Alpes. He was evicted after the hotel manager spotted a pile of rubbish next to the bed. it was covered in rugs to hide it in the corner of the garage. very amusing. He had a candle for lighting and heat!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A candle for light and heat? This is desperation. If anyone hears of a ski bum in similar circumstances, please notify this community. I'm sure we can organise a whip-round for a paraffin stove.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy