Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel in Early April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Won't bore with details, but our 3 trip season is in tatters (first world problems!) and we are looking at Courch, which we love. But, we've never been this late, so...

will there be snow?
I get it's Easter hols, so will it be heaving?
Other reasons not to?

Thanks

CG
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will be wonderful. Plenty snow. Nowhere near as busy as half-term. Sunny lunchtimes with beer and your sleeves rolled up. Best time of year.

Reasons not to go would be if your body is in traction or you are simply stupid snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've been the last three years for easter and it's generally great. Last year easter was late so we were there mid-April and it was super hot, I had several days where I skied in a T shirt, jacket tied around waist! That said still good skiing high up, obviously soft in the pm, but lower down the snow was retreating up the mountain so by the end it was broken getting to 1650 and you had to download to La Tania and you could only just about ski to the bottom of Plantrey chair just below Croisette/1850. You also had to download in Masse 1 over at Les Menuires as the runs were broken.

The previous two years, one was fab, tons of coverage right down to 1550 and La Tania, some fresh dumps and pelnty of side piste on offer, the other was also pretty good, but getting thin down at 1550.

We're looking at going away again first week of April this Easter. I'm trying to drag myself away from Courchevel, just for a change and variety, but if I can't find anything I'll be back to Courchevel in a pinch. Queues and business have never been a problem at Easter, the Courchevel side at least. I've had a few queues in Meribel at the main gondola's in Mottaret, but nothing too drastic, and last year it was pretty busy up in VT (a good 10 minute wait for each chair) I guess as everyone went high due to the melting conditions lower down. Anyway Courchevel side I've rarely waited for a lift at Easter, and most are virtually walk on (or rather, slide on Toofy Grin )

Having said that from poking around at accommodation it does seem quite booked up first week of April. Mind you the resort was pretty rammed full for Feb half term and we still never really had to wait more than a few minutes for a lift.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beeryletcher wrote:
Best time of year.

Reasons not to go would be if your body is in traction or you are simply stupid snowHead

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beeryletcher wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That about sums it. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Gazza!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, we (wife and 2 kids) are regulars at that time of the year - going out 24th March this year but have been as late as April 10th going out iirc - and it is great. Slush is great to ski and you can still get squeaky snow at higher altitudes and some dumps of snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For visualisation....

Here is last year, mid April :

Just about possible to ski to la tania the first few days, by the middle of the week this was gone and they shut the run.

Runs down to 1650 getting scrappy, but above here was fine.

It was getting narrow down to Meribel Village, but we quite enjoyed this desserted run in the morning.

But all was still good higher up. Looking up the top half of Dou des lanches.

.... and by comparison the previous Easter:

Bags of snow. Here is the bottom of Pralong from the bridge on Cospillot, lovely empty pistes!

Top of La Masse still like winter!

Tons of cover and fresh tracks to be found below Saulire, and in the Verdons valley below Chenus, Coqs, Biollay etc.

Snow cover still good even on the lower bits down into St Martin, here at Le Loy.

So that probably gives you an indication of a really good April versus a really poor April. The poor April still had tons to offer above 1850.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not the EoSB or the family friendly pre-EoSB? (although the latter may be full). VT not quite as pleasant to be in as Courchevel, but the conditions are more likely to be decent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Charliegolf, to the comments above - they're fair but last year was an exception. I've done the end of season several times in the last dozen years and last year was the first time I have EVER had to walk to the LT gondola in the morning and download in the afternoon. It won't happen this year. You'd need Saharan temperatures to melt the current snow base in April.

Ultimately, it will come down to whether you like Spring skiing or not. The runs above about 2300m will be solid all day but everything else will be temperature dependant. As a general rule, I'd rather be at the VT end of the 3V's in April/May but that hasn't stopped me being in LT/Meribel at season end many times and I'll be in LT this year too. I do like Spring skiing and think slush is fun but not everyone does!

For coverage, I'd expect almost everything to still be open in April because of the current snow depth. Haven't checked but French and UK Easters are usually different dates so it won't be busy. If you're wavering, I'd take the view that this Spring is likely to be the best conditions ever in our lifetime so if not now, never!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers everyone- I'm sold! (It didn't take much.) All the ducks will need to be in a row, but I'm hopeful.

CG
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy