Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daughter wants fast piste skis

Poster: A snowHead
13 yr old daughter (5ft 6inch) is an expert skiing. She loves her Blizzard Black Pearl 98's but wants something for fast carving on the pistes that don t flap in the tips.

Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well this is going to be a junior race ski, either a SL in about 145-150cm or GS in about 165-170. The SLs would be a bit shorter turning radius that her existing skis and the GS a longer turning radius. GS skis are a bit of a handful in a crowded piste, but are definitely fast. She might be disappoionted about how "fast" SL skis are since you turn a lot.....but that's the whole idea and they are great fun.

I would look second hand and buy both. Junior racing skis can often be found second hand in good condition and for sensible money. But that depends on whether you can transport several sets of skis.

M
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hyperkub, @ChrisKernow, agree re respective lengths but would not encourage a 13yr old to get full on GS skis to blat about on. Proper GS skid are rockets - they get up and go, handle everything SO smoothly, and increase your speed dramatically. It’s like driving a car at 120mph - your reaction times have to go up hugely. They are great (I was on rossignol gs as a test last year) but for crowded pistes? And a 13 year old? No. Racing on closed sections? Yes. Everyday skiing? No.

SL skis are different, as hk says. A much better prospect. Smooth, positive, you have to drive them or you be a passenger, so some skill needed. Usually heavy - eg Fischer rc4 with race plates - but you can fit lighter bindings without plates to save weight. Rossignol SL series from 10 years ago were exceptional skis. Elan do some seriously good SL skis.

Personally, I would forget GS and go SL. Much safer on normal pistes, both for 13 year old and other piste users.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am a 70 year old and LOVE honing around on GS skis.

Give the kid GS skis.

NB They do need good technique so she should improve her skills.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TQA, ...Er...I think you mean ‘hooning’ ... but frankly I find this popular contemporary youth patois most intimidating ...

Ps your last comment supports my argument I think...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter is 12 and has the fisher rc4 slalom in a 145, she races but has done plenty of free skiing on them. They have a sweet flex, a bit softer than some race skis which may make them a bit more versatile.

By the way I don't think there is anything wrong with good kids freeskiing on Gs skis, should be good for development learning how to work a longer straighter ski. A junior Gs ski in 165 will have a radius around 17-18 m so not that unusable for free skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2 wrote:
@TQA, ...Er...I think you mean ‘hooning’ ... but frankly I find this popular contemporary youth patois most intimidating ...

Ps your last comment supports my argument I think...

Damn autocorrect

HOONING is much better than honing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
She likes to hoon. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ChrisKernow, ... I think I have hooned once, on borrowed full GS skis -bindings started at 10 (ten!) length 193 and 35 m radius. I am 5 foot seven and 66kg. I do not have my bindings on 10. Once started they were going! Seriously scary. Immediate light speed...felt as if they would put an edge in on any surface. Smooooooth.....
speeeeeed.....
terrifying.

You could command them by being aggressive and forward but they just wanted to be on edge and flying. Skidded turns? You have to be kidding. And with that radius, on any slope - you were just off, top speed. Amazing experience but not a day-to-day ski. For your daughter, a softer youth GS might cut it, but I would go with an SL ski.

And why not try a ski test day? That way she can try a number of skis and compare them....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Racers Skibay Facebook group is a good place for kids race orientated skis.

Also agree with @valais2 SL skis recommended over GS skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ChrisKernow, I've got some new Stockli Laser 150cm SL FIS at the right price. They're still pricey but they're the right price for Stockli's.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@valais2, slightly surprised you’d be on 193 GSs these days...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, I might also be interested in the Stokli Lasers for my daughter. She skied them as a hire ski this year and they were fantastic! What's the price (and yes I know Stokli skis are expensive, but have always been worth it in my experience)?

Happy to give ChrisKernow first dibs as he started this discussion. And also very happy to recommend the skis to him, assuming his daughter is able to ski aggressively as they really do need to be driven.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valais2 wrote:
@hyperkub, @ChrisKernow, agree re respective lengths but would not encourage a 13yr old to get full on GS skis to blat about on. Proper GS skid are rockets - they get up and go, handle everything SO smoothly, and increase your speed dramatically. It’s like driving a car at 120mph - your reaction times have to go up hugely. They are great (I was on rossignol gs as a test last year) but for crowded pistes? And a 13 year old? No. Racing on closed sections? Yes. Everyday skiing? No.

SL skis are different, as hk says. A much better prospect. Smooth, positive, you have to drive them or you be a passenger, so some skill needed. Usually heavy - eg Fischer rc4 with race plates - but you can fit lighter bindings without plates to save weight. Rossignol SL series from 10 years ago were exceptional skis. Elan do some seriously good SL skis.

Personally, I would forget GS and go SL. Much safer on normal pistes, both for 13 year old and other piste users.

Good advice, for the sake of all those recreational skiers, beginners and casual slope users please follow it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can pick up some of the 'upper number' Salomon S Max skis for very little, now that the sales have started. Huge fun for hooning around on, forgiving enough that you can negotiate a Monday morning piste at half term and you don't need to spend another £400 on bindings.

Have a look at places like Glisshop.
snow conditions
@zikomo, @ChrisKernow, I've got two pairs of the Stockli's. I supply multiple new skis to two New Zealand junior racers every year and on last summers order they cocked up the length on two pairs when they meant to order the next longer length. It's the first time I've never taken a deposit but as I'd supplied them mnay times before I didn't think it was necessary. I'm just looking to recoup my cost so you'll get them for a great price. I'll PM you both the details.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
..., forgiving enough that you can negotiate a Monday morning piste at half term

Brilliant!! 😁
snow report
@under a new name, bloody surprised me too ... I foolishly said I’d service yves’ GS skis and he then said ‘have a go on them...’ which seemed like a good idea at the time. However many great historical events ‘seemed like a good idea at the time’ like invading Russia, shoring up South Vietnam, moving missiles to Cuba etc. In the spirit of these mistakes I nearly s@@t myself on these skis. One error and my Acls would be history. Right scary ... and yet very interesting. Boy was I relieved when I handed them back, with my body intact.
ski holidays
@valais2, sure they were GS not SG?

My SGs which are perfectly fine on piste thank you all Twisted Evil are 203s...

I do have a pair of 191cm GSs but they are quite unusual and about 14 years old. Also perfectly skiable.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
@zikomo, @ChrisKernow, I've got two pairs of the Stockli's. I supply multiple new skis to two New Zealand junior racers every year and on last summers order they cocked up the length on two pairs when they meant to order the next longer length. It's the first time I've never taken a deposit but as I'd supplied them mnay times before I didn't think it was necessary. I'm just looking to recoup my cost so you'll get them for a great price. I'll PM you both the details.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing the price Smile
snow conditions
@under a new name, For the previous few seasons senior men's GS skis for FIS/ENL had a minimum length of 190cm (195 for WC) and a radius of 35m. This has been relaxed slightly for this season. So there are a lot of these beasts out there which you can buy pretty cheap.

But...a junior GS ski in 165r17 is nothing like that and is perfectly skiable by a strong young skier on an open piste unless it's very crowded, in which case skiing fast is a bit of a moot point.
ski holidays
@hyperkub, ...yup...that’s it....

Indeed youth GS have less ‘Mustang’ characteristics

https://www.tiso.com/blue-ross-1132361/rossignol-hero-fis-gs-pro-spx-b73-race-white-red-blue-ross-1132361/100000274157/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_nrhMPY2QIVqpztCh1puQ3fEAQYASABEgKkW_D_BwE

https://www.sportokay.com/be_en/atomic-redster-fis-dd-3-0-gs-jr-x-12-jugend-skiset-2017.html

...but the SL Stocklis from Jon Coster sound like a nice proposition.
snow report
@hyperkub, i am so out of date Embarassed
snow report
And obviously paying not enough attention! Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy