Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BRITISH couple froze to death on a mountain

Poster: A snowHead
The Times

Couple die together on frozen mountain
By Ben Hoyle and Edward Owen in Madrid

article from the Times

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-02-06 15:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know they weren't skiing but it shows how dangerous the mountains are..........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It shows that good preparation and the right equipment are vital.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
People with children need to take more care of themselves :/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We will never know why they decied to leave the refuge, after making contact with the Mountain Rescue, but it seems a fatal error.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
magriggs, sorry, but I disagree strongly.

Giving life to another does mean responsibility as they rely on you, but it doesn't mean you have to put your own life on hold!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to recall that a load of pensioners froze to death in the same area last year. I think they were French or Spanish so it probably didn't make the British news.

I'm not sure, reading the article, that they were in "a refuge" but probably had found something less comfortable. In Europe, once the alarm is raised, it probably makes sense to stay put if possible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
In Europe, once the alarm is raised, it probably makes sense to stay put if possible.

Good advice for anywhere really.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
I seem to recall that a load of pensioners froze to death in the same area last year.

That's nowt, we can do that to them in nursing homes over here. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AFAIK there is one number to call in Spain for English speaking assistance for any emergency situation (902 102 112)-prefixes may vary. Its a Police service, so I cannot understand why they felt the need to call the UK to raise the alarm.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, from any mobile anywhere you can ring 112 AFAIK. The operate control rooms which can connect you as required.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, from any mobile anywhere you can ring 112 AFAIK. The operate control rooms which can connect you as required.

Thanks, I'm relieved that I had remembered the number correctly. It is a service well geared up for tourists in trouble, so I'm still puzzled as to why they did not use it. It cost them time, which clearly they did not have to spare.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in fact wiki' has this link to www.sos112.info
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps they didn't have enough training to know they should stay put. clearly they didn't know about the 112 number. Whatever, a salutory lesson for all mountain users.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It did say in the article that the man was an experienced mountain walker, so you wonder what went wrong. Puzzled I wonder if they were already suffering from hypothermia when they were in the shelter, which often leads to people making suboptimal decisions in times of crisis, and has lead to deaths in the past.
snow report
Kramer that was my first thought too. I made an emergency bivi in the highlands once when a blizzard closed in on me. Probably poor decision making earlier in the day but I was on a point to point walk so turnaround wasn't necessarily the right option. Fortunately I had bivi bag, down jacket, extra trousers, headlamp and a six pack of mars bars so had a fairly comfortable night. Beautiful walk the next morning at dawn in about a foot of fresh so actually I count it as a privilege. Sadly it doesn't always work out for everyone - how many people carry survival bags/blankets etc on offpiste excursions especially in teh Alps where the wrong gully can easiliy leave you stranded?
latest report
I carry a survival bag with me all the time when I'm skiing, also some chocolate and an extra fleece, extra hat, and various other things, usually a drink as well. I grew up mucking around on Dartmoor, and it was always ingrained into us that you always had to keep the possibility that you might have to spend the night up there in the back of your mind.
snow report
Kramer, I've tried drumming that into my kids for years: hopefully one day it will sink in, but not the hard way.
snow conditions
To be honest, when I'm skiing it's not so much about having to spend a night on the mountain, but either getting stuck on a lift for a period of time, or to help someone (hopefully not me) who is injured and so losing heat by being still for a long period of time. If the worst came to the worst then I reckon I could spend an uncomfortable night if I really had to.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=203065&highlight=caught+storm#203065 - I posted a few details concerning my misadventures. Knowing how to build a simple snow shelter can save you - it can be a life saver knowing when to sit out a storm and walk out in a day or two.
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
magriggs, sorry, but I disagree strongly.

Giving life to another does mean responsibility as they rely on you, but it doesn't mean you have to put your own life on hold!

Where did I say that they have to put their life on hold? You're putting words in my mouth.
latest report
Dartmoor is pretty notorious for people getting lost, because although it's not that high, the weather changes extremely quickly. I think that many people get lulled into a false sense of security because it's very easy to get to.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
Dartmoor is pretty notorious for people getting lost, because although it's not that high, the weather changes extremely quickly. I think that many people get lulled into a false sense of security because it's very easy to get to.

Any featureless moor land is the same, I used to be in mountain rescue which means mostly finding them Very Happy

About 10 years ago backpacking in the Lakes I was stunned by how many people were lost, over half I'd say had no real idea where they were or where they'd just come from. For myself I'm obsessive about knowing where I am down a square metre or so.
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

For myself I'm obsessive about knowing where I am down a square metre or so.

Yet you say that you can't follow a piste map, so how do you do it Puzzled
ski holidays
snowbunny, piste maps aren't really geographically accurate Very Happy I always know exactly where I am and how to get back which is why I never use piste maps Very Happy

I find a quick glance at the map is all I need to be aware of the layout of any station and no amount of looking that map helps me recall the names or colors of runs or the names or types of lifts, probably because I'm not really interested and I sub-consciously filter it out Very Happy
snow conditions
" For myself I'm obsessive about knowing where I am down a square metre or so."
I took a hillwalking course a few years back. The first 'walk' lasted about 15 minutes, after which we were all asked "do you know where you are"?. We all had maps... and were challenged to point to our location thereon.
All those who used their finger were failed immediately....
... and of the small handful who'd used something more appropriate, 1 (out of a total group of about 30), could point to _exactly_ where we were (this in a decent OS map).

sobering faces all round - we could still see the farmhouse we'd just left, yet most of us (not totally stupid people), even with good visual aids, still couldn't identify where on a well produced map we were.

Needless to say we paid much more attention to the instructor after that little demo.

seems to have been a particularly bad weekend last weekend, what with the various avalanche deaths, as well as this. At least we still have a choice what risks to take.....
ski holidays
... whereas on the London underground I consult the map a dozen times between each station Very Happy
latest report
ise,
Quote:

... whereas on the London underground I consult the map a dozen times between each station

Oh dear...acting like a tourist, that will never do wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hamilton wrote:

... and of the small handful who'd used something more appropriate, 1 (out of a total group of about 30), could point to _exactly_ where we were (this in a decent OS map).

It's just the way some people are mentally wired I think, I personally love maps, looking at a decent map tells a fantastic story about the shape of slopes and hills and where I can ski or ride my bike. For others they just see a jumble of symbols Very Happy
snow conditions
ise, I'm just the same! At the risk of being labelled sexist, I think it's a male propensity. Maybe a fixation with the lie of the land goes back to our 'hunter' role in hunter-gatherer societies.
ski holidays
laundryman, You're clearly all cave men at heart rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowbunny, but maps are nice and highly sophisticated wink I find piste "maps" deeply distressing because they don't have contour lines...
latest report
laundryman, you mean the women didn't need a sense of direction when doing all the work in the fields, collecting water etc, while the chaps sat back in the caves being looked after, occasionally venturing out to spear a passing critter to keep their reputations up? wink
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
laundryman, You're clearly all cave men at heart rolling eyes

That's about right, reading maps and lighting fires are things all men think they're good at, it's just not always true Very Happy
snow report
Can I join the club - I love maps - have lots of atlases at home and whenever I go somewhere in the UK I try to buy an OS map for it.
p.s. and I'm female wink
latest report
snowbunny, and with all that gossiping on Après, you're clearly a cave-woman at heart! Touché!

Seriously, there have been about 300,000 generations since men (and women) diverged from chimps, of which no more than about 500 (less in almost all instances) lived in settled communities. Therefore, our innate propensities are pretty much determined by whatever fitted our ancestors to survive and breed in hunter-gatherer society.

mountain mad, good for you!
snow report
Quote:
Can I join the club - I love maps
Must be all those pretty colours...

[rapid exit]
snow conditions
PG wrote:
laundryman, you mean the women didn't need a sense of direction when doing all the work in the fields, collecting water etc, while the chaps sat back in the caves being looked after, occasionally venturing out to spear a passing critter to keep their reputations up? wink

It must have been idyllic! Too bad they didn't have camcorders to watch video replays in the cave, while the womenfolk served up fermented drinks! wink
ski holidays
PG,
Quote:

Quote:
Can I join the club - I love maps
Must be all those pretty colours...

[rapid exit]

Shame, you were doing so well wink

laundryman,
Quote:

snowbunny, and with all that gossiping on Après, you're clearly a cave-woman at heart! Touché!

Some aspects of our ancestors existence are less appealing than others wink
BTW I have my own wood axe, and I'm okay at firelighting. Does modern man therefore feel conern about his role Madeye-Smiley
snow report
snowbunny, only if there's no brown sauce.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy