Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mini DV Camcorders

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok slightly offtopic but one of the main reasons I'd be getting one is to film and be filmed for skiing purposes. Very difficult to improve if you're someone who learns a lot visually without seeing how bad you look and if drills are having any effect.

Any recommendations from experience of the current generation of Mini DV camcorder around the £200-£250 range? Poor performance with snow/brightness etc? Probably not going to get a helmet cam so ease of use for follow-cam and static filming?

Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a Sony TRV14, and it's very good. It doesn't seem to struggle with the snow or the brightness, though I need to use the view-finder, rather than the LCD screen. Go for one with DV-In and SVideo-in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same problem here for me having to use the view finding in bright sunshine but my JVC mini dv cam is great value @ about £189.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, I got a Sony DC9 a few years back, it's great. That said, I would be tempted by a straight to DVD or hard drive one given th echoice today. Easier editing and smaller format. Mine only just fits in my pocket and a smaller one would be good. At the time I discarded the ideo of micro DV format as the controls would have been too small for cold hands.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, the DVD format is surely bigger than MiniDV? To get the same capture quality as MiniDV you'll need to change the discs more frequently than you would the tape, wouldn't you?

I can't imagine how DVD format cameras will make editing easier, beyond getting the file on the PC. Some tape USB2 cameras open in a pseudo-Windows Explorer view, so you can just copy files from the tape, rather than having to rip the movie to disc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
a polarizer filter is a wise investment on any camera for the snow
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aren't hard disk recorders meant to be the way forward?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if a digital camcorder bought in the USA is compatible with UK televisions? I know nothing about technology and that, but quite fancy one of these for skiing and am hoping to pick one up cheap in New York next month - but somebody told me it wouldn't work back in the UK because of the NSTC/PAL thing?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave Burt, mostly models are standard and will support both PAL and NSTC.

If you hope to pick one up cheap you may be disappointed though. You probably need to get an idea what models you're interested in first so you can properly compare prices. If you know the models you can also check compatibility ahead of time.

The days where the US was invariably cheaper for electronics are gone really, for high volume stuff you'll almost certainly get as good or better deals on the internet or on Tottenham Court Road without any warranty concerns or wrong power supplies. The other problem nowadays buying nearly anything in the US is the opaque pricing, to get the bet deal you'll have to send of for various refunds which you can't do without a US address.

Pixmania always have good prices, they're a box shifter so you need to be realistic about support but, send them money and they will send the kit Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, may well be, but if you crash while recording, there goes the HD. At least with tape you can swap your 13 gigabyte storage media out quite easily.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have read that the MPEG encoding on HD and DVD camcorders is not yet up to scratch... and causes some issues with editing - might not be a problem for you thou. There was an article in What DV Camcorder or similar magazine last month... I could of course be telling you a load of rubbish ... so you might wish to do some research...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy