Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jet2 cancelled flights

Poster: A snowHead
So we arrived at Leeds Bradford airport yesterday at 6 am no flights out they shut the airport at 2 pm jet2 are refunding our flight money but do you think we will get our transfer money and our hotel money back through our travel insurance or Visa card we were 12 men but is was all booked under 1 credit card should we go through visa or our separate insurance companies thanks in advance for any info or help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If transfers were booked separate to flights (i.e. not part of a package holiday) you have no recourse through the Visa card. In essence there is no failure to provide service on the part of the transfer company as you simply did not turn up.

You will have to claim through individual travel insurance, it it covers that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your flight is cancelled, you have the legal right to either a full refund or a replacement flight to get to your destination. This is your Choice.
I would badger them on social media.. as newspapers will be quite quick to pick up stories of non conforming airlines.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just heard form them we're getting a full refund on our flights the return fare of the transfer not sure about hotel fingers crossed at least we're getting some back
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr.Egg, Charlie says he has accepted his full refund. He does not mention if he was offered a transfer to another flight. Given that no aircraft arrived or left at Leeds Bradford yesterday due to drifting snow it would appear jet2 have fulfilled the requirements of the EU Directive: "An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken."

I would suggest going to social media would be futile. I think I would be on to my insurance companies, unless you have travel insurance with the credit card they will not refund your money as they were ready to provide the service.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All the flights for today were full from Leeds Manchester East Midlands etc so a full refund was the best option anyway they have cancelled this mornings flight any idea on the hotel situation
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@charlie26, as people have said...travel insurance. You should have called them already
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would also try to cancel the hotel.
some have 24 hour cancellation policy, so you may get a few days back.
Insurance companies will want you to have at least tried to mitagate any losses.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do struggle to understand how people think the flight company is at fault in a situation where the airport closes with severe weather.

Take out insurance it costs peanuts and then claim the whole thing back from them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jake43, they didn't provide the service.

In the same way you could take out insurance, so could they.

In reality of course they will have insurance as do we, but I don't think its unreasonable to think the provider should be the one at risk, not the consumer in the majority of cases.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vjmehra wrote:
@Jake43, they didn't provide the service.

In the same way you could take out insurance, so could they.

In reality of course they will have insurance as do we, but I don't think its unreasonable to think the provider should be the one at risk, not the consumer in the majority of cases.

Majority ok, but these last few days are one offs
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jake43, I always take the view in these situations that there is a 'sophisticated' provider and an 'unsophisticated' retail customer.

The customer has limited knowledge and ability to reduce risk, whilst the provider has the means and the knowledge, so it is their responsibility to do so and factor it into the price.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The original question was not about the flight it was everything else. The flight had already been refunded.

So taxi driver breaks down taking you to your holiday which cost £10,000 all in and you sue him for the loss?

If you are "unsophisticated" then don't do DIY holidays and get a package that is all covered. Yes I would expect Jet2 to try and get me to where I want to go but do understand when they just can't. Yes I would like them to sort out a replacement flight if it is going to be possible - or a refund if not; but to hold them responsible for a unknown possible huge cost when their bit is a small part of a whole is just crazy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jake43, sorry for clarity I just meant the flight element, I thought that's what you were referring to here:

Quote:
I do struggle to understand how people think the flight company is at fault in a situation where the airport closes with severe weather.

Take out insurance it costs peanuts and then claim the whole thing back from them.

No I wouldn't expect the airline to cover the rest in that example, so I think maybe we're saying the same thing?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jake43, +1

Given the slim margins that airlines run on, Jet 2 cancelled about 12 flights from Leeds yesterday (1 of their 6 bases). So at 80% occupancy that's 1700 seats out bound and 1700 inbound. Lets guess at 70 quid per leg that's a drop in cash flow of 120K (plus any ancillaries such as bags, booze, sarnies etc. Given most of an airlines costs are fixed (lease of ac or finance on owned ac, crews wages etc) accountants will be scratching their heads this morning.

If you expect an airline to bear the loss then expect your ticket price to go up with an 'appropriate levy'.
snow report
Looks possible that were all covered a group booking insurance upto£5000 that should cover everything so all is good fingers crossed.but still peeved love going away with the lads good laugh good ski ,great drink ,never mind there's always next time Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@charlie26, Not sure where you were going so whether this is practical, but since it wasn't a package did you investigate other ways to get there? Plenty of flights today going from say Gatwick (no idea if any availability...). You would only have lost a day of your holiday... your hotel booking would still stand and the return transfer / flight are unaltered.

Mr Egg wrote:
Insurance companies will want you to have at least tried to mitagate any losses.

This. If you could have got there today for a reasonable cost, why should your insurer pay out much at all, other than the replacement cost of getting there? If you did look into it and there was no practical alternative, you might have a stronger case.
latest report
There was no flights available from the north today first availability was Saturday as we were returning Sunday not much point we tried everything but no chance conditions just suck
ski holidays
Call the hotel and ask them to try to let out the room as your group aren't going to be there. Some hotelier will happily do that, and if they're successful will refund you the money.
snow report
Hi, I'm no expert on it, but if you check your travel insurance, you're looking for consequential losses. Worth checking your own and the lead bookers wording.

It's such aukward one and definitely why I'm booking our large group on a package next year, that way the whole thing should be covered by the holiday company.

Hope you get sorted though. Definitely speak to the hotel too, to see what you're liable to pay.
latest report
abc wrote:
Call the hotel and ask them to try to let out the room as your group aren't going to be there. Some hotelier will happily do that, and if they're successful will refund you the money.

That happened to me once - I was astonished. I had to go home early and they re-let the room for the remaining 4 nights and sent me the money without my even asking.

In terms of the OP it's yet another lesson to us all to check that our travel insurance covers these type of weather-related losses which are by far the greatest non-medical risk we face as skiers. Some policies do, some don't but the comic thing is they cost the same...
snow conditions
Quote:

That happened to me once - I was astonished.

I've had good luck in that regard. Many times when my flight was delayed, I called to tell them I couldn't make it, the hotelier would either refund my money right away because they know the room will be let for sure, or they promise to refund the money IF they manage to re-let it (every single time it was re-let successfully). Some cases I do lose the first night but got refund for the reminder of the booking.

They have no obligation to do the extra work and the refund. But so many of them do that, I now always call and let them know. I never demand for a refund. I only ask politely if they would be kind enough to do so if they could.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy