Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I get new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for opinions on snowboard boots.

I've had mine for about 15 years now (bought circa 2002 - Salomon Mantis) ive used for a week every season apart from one season where I was using them every weekend but was fairly light use on local slopes (east coast of US) and I haven't used now for 7 years but will be dusting them off in a few weeks.

They are in pretty good condition and comfortable so there doesn't seem to be any reason to change apart from they look at bit dated now.

Has technology in boots moved on significantly in that time to warrant a change? I see boa lacing systems and bit lighter weight boots, but also a significant amount of boots with conventional laces and just as chunky. Other than weight they don't seem significantly different to what I have.

Id rather not spend £150+ but if there is a significant benefit I would be happy too. Any thoughts?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seen thread further down - happy to say I will keep going with these boots!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seeing that you've not used the boots for a good few years, just check to make sure the outers don't have any cracking in the exterior, and pull the liners out to make sure any foam hasn't degraded but basically if they're in reasonable condition, theres no real reason to go out buying new ones unless the old 'me wantee shiny-new!' kicks in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with @Richard_Sideways, if they have been stored well, they will have many weeks/months of mountain life left in them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've not been for 10yrs and just trying on my Salomon Dialogues which look well used but feel as stiff as the day i bought them. May heat the liners up in the oven for a bit to get them to reshape to my feet but happy that i don't have to invest in some boots.

By the way, there are crazy prices for "second hand" stuff on ebay and facebook market place. Picked up some snowboard boots size 4 for my eldest for the first trip this year for £20, look fantastic - the incredibly nice seller also lent me his old Nitro Shadow. There are plenty of boards as well, if it's not this years model you can find from £30 - the boards may be 5+yrs old but in very good condition............there are also some absolute shockers so go in with your eyes open, but I will be able to kit everyone out for less than it would cost to hire (benefit of driving as well Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy