Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The British ski experience post March 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Hope i’m posting on the right forum, but if not, then perhaps someone would be kind enough to resist this elsewhere.
As I understand it, the current situation is such that British T.Os will need to review their employment practices from next year onwards. What of the multitude of small operators, who eg. run a chalet or two in certain areas, which cater to Brit tourists?
I understand the chalet model is not one known to most continental Europeans.
Further, are there other knock on effects that are not quite so obvious that one should also be considering, not just the effect on one’s wallet?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lots of chalets are being advertised as 5 nights of meals instead of 6 to fit in with french employment law
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just checked a couple of Web sites and they are still offering 6 days of meals.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think tourists will see much difference in what is on offer. If employing British staff on British contracts is too difficult, and local (French or otherwise) contracts are too expensive, then there are still a number of other EU options that might be cheaper (Irish staff on Irish contracts, or Polish staff, or ...). Some TOs are a part of larger international groups anyway.

Even in France a larger operator can probably still provide 6 days of meals by employing an extra staff member to act as a relief and cover one night at each of 6 chalets - the extra cost would be small relatively to the total price of the holiday. And if some decide to cater 5 nights instead of 6 that isn't necessarily going to break the market either - many people might be quite happy eating out one night and getting a take-away on another.

Small operators may be more affected. But they are probably more likely to be already working with local contracts, or are perhaps owner-operated where things may be slightly different.

Any changes may impact more on British wannabe seasonaires - their roles may go to remaining EU nationals.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tignes addict, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Good choice of resort too Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes addict wrote:
Just checked a couple of Web sites and they are still offering 6 days of meals.

for 2019?
As lots of the larger tourist operators have pointed out that it includes 5 days of evening meals catering instead of 6.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2019? It'll be like it was before we joined the Common Market.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
2019? It'll be like it was before we joined the Common Market.

Chicken Supreme and Angel Delight? With ski hols mainly for the toffs?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How many shillings to rent those skis?

Oh, they don't speak English. HOW MANY SHILLINGS TO RENT THOSE SKIS?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orange200 wrote:
How many shillings to rent those skis?
Oh, they don't speak English. HOW MANY SHILLINGS TO RENT THOSE SKIS?

Smile
I’m assuming part of the debate will also fall on airline/ travel costs too. With a potential less than benevolent tax attitude towards British registered carriers. Or is this all too presumptuous?
In some ways, it does potentially seem like the above described return to a sport for the wealthy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Airfares shouldn't be affected too much unless, free for those unelected bureaucrats in the EU and their removal of airspace barriers the UK decides to go back to charging EU airlines more than UK ones - at which point you would expect reciprocal charges from the EU.

It would trigger a massive drop in UK air traffic though, so remove the need for another runway at Heathrow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Well, Angel delight is back on the supermarket shelves again! Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the skiing for British people post march 2019 will be more expensive, which will probably see a substitution away from catered chalet options and tour operators. The most obvious impact being price - peak pricing for a catered chalet starts at £750 per head - accommodation and 5 days of meals. Tour operators you are looking at all in prices of around £1,600 (flights, transfers, accommodation and meals) As a headline that's not too bad, but if the pound tanks further, expect that cost to go up (MW have already proved this).

Everyone accepts skiing is an expensive holiday, but as the costs increase more people will look to either skip a ski holiday or look at ways to cut the costs down - self cater, drive, no childcare, cheaper ski hire - there are though only so many things you can eliminate from a holiday before it becomes less of a holiday and more of a hassle. Brexit's impact will simply compound this - problem.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a Thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126090
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:
Airfares shouldn't be affected too much unless, free for those unelected bureaucrats in the EU and their removal of airspace barriers the UK decides to go back to charging EU airlines more than UK ones - at which point you would expect reciprocal charges from the EU.

It would trigger a massive drop in UK air traffic though, so remove the need for another runway at Heathrow.

No that's all been sorted out. We won't be allowed to fly over or into the EU, or so I have been informed by OldFartbag, IIRC. So air fares will be zero cost - braise there will be no air fares. Simples. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
FrediKanoute wrote:
I think the skiing for British people post march 2019 will be more expensive, which will probably see a substitution away from catered chalet options and tour operators. The most obvious impact being price - peak pricing for a catered chalet starts at £750 per head - accommodation and 5 days of meals. Tour operators you are looking at all in prices of around £1,600 (flights, transfers, accommodation and meals) As a headline that's not too bad, but if the pound tanks further, expect that cost to go up (MW have already proved this).

Everyone accepts skiing is an expensive holiday, but as the costs increase more people will look to either skip a ski holiday or look at ways to cut the costs down - self cater, drive, no childcare, cheaper ski hire - there are though only so many things you can eliminate from a holiday before it becomes less of a holiday and more of a hassle. Brexit's impact will simply compound this - problem.

Package holidays outside the EU are hardly a hassle, I seriously doubt skiing will change all that much
snow conditions
Simple answer - Nobody knows!

Or can know until the deal is done.
ski holidays
Bennisboy wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:

Package holidays outside the EU are hardly a hassle, I seriously doubt skiing will change all that much

Sorry i probably wasn't clear. What I am saying is that as people look at ways to cut costs from the current all in package cost, they will opt out on some aspects and accept more inconvenience - I think there will be a more towards more and more people "doing" ski holidays they way local people do ski holidays - less of he catered aspect and more of the self catered.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Mjit wrote:

No that's all been sorted out. We won't be allowed to fly over or into the EU, or so I have been informed by OldFartbag, IIRC. So air fares will be zero cost - braise there will be no air fares. Simples. Madeye-Smiley

Actually this is quite a serious issue.

Airline Schedules/Routes are agreed & then routed into the Eurocontrol Super computer in Maastricht at least 1 year in advance..
snow conditions
I think Boris is building a bridge between England and France which should mitigate the 'open/closed skies' issue to some extent
latest report
@stanton, hey ho. Glrenshee it is then. Wonder if Haggis Trap does guided tours? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Errrrrr. Eurocontrol has little to do with the EU. The United Kingdom joined it in 1963. The EU joined as a member in 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So once again the Stantroll makes a fool of himself!!!!!

Eurocontrol has campaigned for years to make European airspace more efficient. This involved ceding control of airspace to other nations. Eg UK loses bits of our airspace to the Netherlands and vice versa to enable approaches to Schiphol and the London airports to be controlled by one agency. As this involved the French ceding bits of the Channel it was vetoes by the French as their air traffickers went on strike!

It is one area of European integration that works on a practical non political basis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy