Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to St.Anton by car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok - I know this has been asked before (somewhere) and I have tried to search without any luck. I'll be driving from Munich on Saturday am to St. Anton.... do I just follow SatNav or is there much difference in the various options. Having looked at the suggested routes on Google - there seems to be a left or right choice around Garmisch area? If anyone can offer any advice I would be grateful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stevo_the_saddler, I usually go via Fernpass. I usually try to get there early cos it can be a nightmare if you get stuck behind the buses. The other way past Mittenwald and Zirler Berg is also a nightmare in traffic, especially if there has been snow, because Zirler Berg is steep!
TBH it's a toss whether one or the other is better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steilhang, Thanks... I'll have a look on the map for 'Fernpass' and try that way then...presumably decent roads all the way
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stevo_the_saddler, Yes, decent roads. Fernpass is not steep and almost always open. Only ever known it be closed once, and that was when we had Level 5 this winter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for your help @Steilhang,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We did the same route last month and just stuck to the motorway, it's longer but quicker and less prone to bad weather, we let google maps on my phone guide us, the sat nav in the hire car was a pain to use, it wanted city, street , number etc etc, we just typed the name of the hotel into GM and it came up straight away with directions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tangowaggon, Thanks... so which route was that?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
@tangowaggon, Thanks... so which route was that?

Follow the motorway towards Rosenheim (Salzburg) then take the turn off for Innsbruck, google puts it at 3hr 5min, 299km, Fernpass route is 3hr 12min 225km
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, it really depends what time of day. Getting past Innsbruck can be tedious, and the Inntal Autobahn now has a 100Km/H speed restriction all the way. I have done it from the start of the Garmischer Autobahn to St.Anton in 2H15 before, but this was starting at 05:30 in the morning, doing about 200+ on the way to Garmisch. It's usually well below 3 hours these days since they built the new tunnels after Landeck.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steilhang, 200+ - kph I assume? I didn't realise there was a really fast bit - otherwise I would have gone for more than a Fiesta Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stevo_the_saddler, it's Autobahn for the first bit going via the Fernpass, but even in a Fiesta you'll manage a decent speed on that bit. Where wee cars really struggle is on the steeper passes. Last year I went to Lech via the Fernpass and the Arlberg pass. Fernpass was fine, Arlberg had to be taken in second gear!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stevo_the_saddler, Avoid the Fernpass on a Saturday, it´s the busiest route and can add hours to your journey. The motorway route via Rosenheim isn´t much better either. That route is used by nearly 50% of German, Dutch and other North Europeans heading to ski resorts in Tyrol and Salzburg regions.
The best and almost shortest route is via Garmisch-Partenkirchen and then through Seefeld to Telfs in the Inn valley, and then on up to St. Anton.
Start by following your Navigation to Garmisch. It should take you past the Arena stadium, then on to Munich´s middle ring, past the BMW buildings and Olympic stadium. Watch the 50kmh speed limit (lots of cameras), past the Mercedes building, and on to the A95 motorway to Garmisch. If the motorway is busy you can detour around Garmisch (which can clog up between 10ish and 14ish) via Kochel am See, Walchensee and Krun.
At Garmisch (or the detour route, really pretty by the way) drive past Mittenwald to Seefeld. At Seefeld turn into the village and drive through it to Telfs. Not down to Zirl. At Telfs get onto the motorway (don´t forget you need a windscreen motorway toll sticker from any fuel station) and cruise up to St Anton. It should take you about 3 hrs 30 mins if you don´t get stuck anywhere. Even in heavy snowfall this is the best route.
And you can trust me....I run a transfer company Wink
Of course the best way is to book a transfer. Then you can sit back and relax Smile
Have a good trip.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy