Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
So, I seek the wisdom of Snowheads.

So far, my Dakine split roller is the best ski luggage I've used.

However, I can't help feeling that there is a space in the market for highly skiing (or boarding) specific luggage.

I would like to have ...

- Compartment for ski boots, separate from the main area and padded
- Compartment for helmet, padded
- Compartment for goggles, sunglasses - lined and armoured to protect
- Multiple compartments for skiwear, casualwear and accessories
- Sealed compartment for dirty skiwear (and underwear)
- Rugged
- Wheeled

I've searched for this kind of thing but can't find it. There are boot and helmet bags BUT I want that in a single check in bag so that I have one bag.

And, to those that say that I'm getting too specific and that therefore no one is going to make something that tailored I would point out that I have a triathlon bag. It has separate compartments for wetsuit, cycling shoes, wetsuit after it's been used, swim goggles, running shoes, cycle helmet etc. I'm willing to bet that there are more skiers than triathletes in the world !

Alternatively, I've been looking in the wrong place and there is such a bag - in which case please enlighten me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are being very specific but I'm with you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, I am against you. All these padded compartments add weight. Weight is our enemy.
Use clothes for padding, empty bag into wardrobe at resort then use empty bag for dirty clothes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would prefer v tough made wheeled coffin bag to weigh less than 2kg, 2m long. Now I would spend my money on that!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Watched the baggage handlers at Geneva on on arrival and departure on my last trip.
1. Glad I have SportTubes for the skis.
2. Glad that we use very tough duffel style bags, with clothes on the outside and anything valuable (goggles, helmets etc) nested in the middle of the clothes. Hate to think of the impact imparted on contents of a hard sided case being flung about in the way I observed.

Seriously, they were literally throwing stuff about. Ski bags in particular were being thrown about 2m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WASHOUT wrote:
No, I am against you. All these padded compartments add weight. Weight is our enemy.
Use clothes for padding, empty bag into wardrobe at resort then use empty bag for dirty clothes.

+1. I want a simple one-compartment, super-lightweight but tough basic material and stitching, preferably a couple of simple but rugged wheels and a basic cloth pull handle. Clothes, jackets and bubble wrap can give padding, whether in a duffle-style hold luggage or a ski/board bag. If you want compartments (e.g. dirty clothing bag or to make it quick to unpack/pack) use an old carrier.

Nothing will survive baggage handlers for long. Manchester's the bag-killer for me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Blackblade, isn’t this what Snokart tried:

https://www.snokart.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WASHOUT wrote:

Why is weight our enemy ? I don't really care very much about that since I only ever have to wheel the bag from car to terminal, terminal to coach/bus and coach/bus to hotel/chalet.

I have a SnoTube into which I put two pairs of skis for the same reason - it protects the skis and the weight doesn't matter because I never have to carry it very far.

What I, as a regular skier of long weekends, am looking for is something which makes packing and unpacking fast and easy and protects my gear. Speed is the key requirement here, not minimal weight.

I have a great boot bag with protective pockets for the boots and which takes seconds to pack the boots BUT I don't want to have multiple bags for a weekend trip and if I use the boot bag as a liner for the main bag then it gets too bulky.

Is this too much to ask ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis wrote:
@Blackblade, isn’t this what Snokart tried:

https://www.snokart.com/

That's what I thought so it's the first place i looked. Nothing that is even close to the spec I outlined though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Dakine split roller & also a boot / helmet backpack.

http://youtube.com/v/XvWJonvjOAc
Its quite bulky but small enough for hand luggage.

For dirty stuff, I use packing cubes.

http://youtube.com/v/XonfJGZE3bs
I have seen a case where packing cubes zip together to form the case. So you can have it in a variety of sizes/combinations.
But there are lots of other modular cases with all sorts of compartments, etc.

My helmet has inbuilt visor, so no need for goggles.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WASHOUT wrote:

+2
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weight is our enemy but is our airline friend. 1-2kg off baggage weight makes a lot of difference when you are trying to sneak under 23kg or something.
My Thule current bag looks the part approx 3.5kg but the zip is not up to the job after 5 or 6 trips. 👎
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Compartments are a faff, faff adds time. Nobody likes a faffer.😀
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
quite like the look of that boot backpack @Mr.Egg, can you use it as an airline carry on?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
- Compartment for ski boots, separate from the main area and padded
- Compartment for helmet, padded
- Compartment for goggles, sunglasses - lined and armoured to protect

Padded / Armoured, is that not what our socks and underwear are used for in a regular case? Razz
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
Weight is our enemy but is our airline friend. 1-2kg off baggage weight makes a lot of difference when you are trying to sneak under 23kg or something.

I'm not !

I'm trying to add convenience and I don't care about weight much.

So, no one makes such a bag ???
snow conditions
WASHOUT wrote:
Compartments are a faff, faff adds time. Nobody likes a faffer.😀

That's illogical captain.

If you have a compartment to put your helmet in then inserting the helmet into that is going to take far LESS time than wrapping it in your dirty underwear and carefully placing it in the centre of your bag, trying to ensure that it doesn't smash against your transceiver if the vandals in baggage handling throw your bag onto the ground from the plane.

An engineer doesn't wrap all his tools in separate cloths and bung them in one common space - they all have an individual space so that they can be retrieved and replaced fast. Specific compartments add weight - sure - but they save time.
latest report
Blackblade wrote:
WASHOUT wrote:

I'm not !

I'm trying to add convenience and I don't care about weight much.

So, no one makes such a bag ???

just use packing cubes.
ski holidays
Stuff sacks.
latest report
@blacblade sorry for my illogical reply, it's been one of those days.
I don't think anybody makes a exact bag to your spec but it is a very specific spec.

That cubes look pretty smart solution.
latest report
I fear you are all correct - no one makes such a bag Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy