Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day Trip from Saas Fee to Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is feasible as a day trip? Is it best to train/bus or drive? Are there days of the week to be avoided (ie Saturday)? If bus or train is best, do I need to reserve in advance? In a car you can only get as far as Tasch is that also true of the bus? Is it best to wear regular shoes and change into your boots once you get there? How much of a hassle is it traveling with all your ski gear?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Package tour operators do away days to Zermatt as an optional extra. We did one when we were there years ago with (I think) enterprise or inghams. The mini bus got to within a short walk of Zermatt town and the bottom mountain railway stn.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s probably an hour trip each way. Being Switzerland the buses and trains can be relied on in terms of connections.

Get one of the early buses, change at Stalden (bus or train) and you can be there well before 09:00.

Swiss transport expects skiers and boarders to travel, so taking equipment won’t be a problem. The bus/train stations should have lockers if you don’t want to remain in your gear all day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The bus/train is closer to 1h50 (see https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html for train/bus times). It's a bus down from Saas Fee down to Stalden where you get on the train to Zermatt. It is around 50 minutes drive from Saas Fee to Täsch. From Täsch you then need to get the train up to Zermatt, which takes around 15 minutes. From Zermatt train station it is around a 10 minute walk up to the mountain railway or a 20 minute walk up to the Gornergrat gondola to get up the mountain - there are buses but I have never taken them. There are lockers at the station where you can leave your gear for the day. It's no problem to take your ski gear on the train/bus.

It's doable, but it is quite a lot of travel in one day so either a very early start or a reduced ski day (and an expensive pass in Zermatt for the day).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did it last year, but the other way. Met friends in Saas fe and was based in zermatt. Definitely doable. It’s a long day but trains and busses were like clockwork.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gämsbock, Thanks. Yes, according to SBB 1h44 is the best you can do and if I'm reading the schedule correctly that includes the train from Tasch up to Zermatt. Google maps tells me it's about a 47 minute drive, plus train time from Tasch up to Zermatt I still save at least 30 minutes. Parking + the Tasch ticket looks to be about 32CHF vs 24 for the bus/train option. Driving seems like the best option, except I'll probably be pretty worn out on the return trip.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy