Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Crow Ova Review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm always reading reviews on here and asking for advice, so thought it's only fair to weigh in with a review of the Black Crow Ovas... https://www.black-crows.com/ova-skis

Starting with the basics:

My height: 190cm
My Weight: 105kg
My Ability: Advanced Intermediate
Ski length: 184.4cm
Tip: 125mm
Waist: 85mm
Tail: 112mm
Turn Radius: 17m

I'll begin this review with a caveat; I am what can only be described as an unashamed hipster. I love great looking design, use of colours and the air of exclusivity I think the BC brand carries. In the last few years I've tried skiing K2, Elan and Rossignol skis, and whilst I've got on with them, I've always felt that such a significant expenditure should ensure the likelihood of sitting next to someone on the chair lift with the same pair of skis is minimal. I know this doesn't actually matter but it's how I am; so shoot me.

I'd describe myself as an advanced intermediate; I am happy in any and all conditions on piste, and in the last couple of years have been developing my off piste and powder skiing. So far this year I have taken these skis to Les Arcs in January, and Sauze d'oulx in February, so they've had a good run out in every sort of condition the day can throw at you; from icy piste and rain in France to Italian powder.

The skis are advertised as a predominantly piste ski, with the ability to hop on and off the sides of the piste and ski in the chop, without losing performance, and I'd say this is a perfect description; skiing deep powder requires a tight stance and holding speed to maintain float - and whilst this doesn't feel like a huge effort, it is markedly more so, than when wearing skis which are broader under foot. As such, I have stayed mainly on piste thus far this year, and have found these skis to be pretty much perfect.

Whilst these aren't purely carving skis, you get a sense that they always want to find the edge; and this forces (me anyway) concentration on technique - particularly when skiing slowly approaching lift queues or on busy pistes, so as not to catch an edge and stack it. However; I consider this as something of a plus point; anything that stops me being lazy, and sliding around on my bases is a huge benefit. That said; in the moguls last week, they felt poppy and light enough to inspire real confidence. Probably the first time I've ever actually enjoyed skiing moguls, rather than just put up with them to get somewhere else...

Once on a broad, flowing piste, these things carve like a dream; zero chatter at speed, and absolute confidence in turn initiation. It truly feels like the faster you get on them, the more responsive they become.

In short; I was concerned that my lack of ability would make me unable to ski these planks; but as it happens, they have helped me turn a corner in my ability by giving me no choice but to do so. If you're also at this level, after something achingly cool looking, then I can't recommend them highly enough.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That’s me sold Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCs are indeed great skis. I demo'd the old Navis and my friend just bought the Atris.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Recently bought the BC Camox Freebirds with ATK Raider 12 bindings. Outstanding.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy