Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to get to zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like we've bagged ourselves a deal in Zermatt for next February , not been there for a few years so looking forward to it , but does anyone have any recommendations about driving ( i know we have to leave the car at Tasch ) i.e routes and how long from Calais , and/or flights into which airport and best transfer from airport . Current thinking is flight into Geneva ( costing an arm and a leg ) and then a 4hr train transfer . Are there any closer airports or any better ways to cut down cost and time
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You basically have to choose between flying into Geneva, followed by a 3h50min train ride all the way to Zermatt, changing to the mountain railway at Visp, or driving via Reims / Besancon / Lausanne. I personally love the train journey, but also like the drive as it's a bit more of an adventure. We tend to stop somewhere between Reims and Troyes on the outward journey, and Reims on the return. Driving also means you can stop at this place: [url=]http://www.napiot.com/[/url] near Pontarlier for brilliant baguettes & coffee, and load up with very good Comté cheese.. to take to Switzerland. Tunnel fares don't vary wildly like Easyjet; it generally makes sense if there are 3 or 4 in the car.
I think it's worth paying the extra for the 'official' car park at Tasch (Matterhorn Terminal) - the transfer via the shuttle train to Zermatt, with luggage trolleys etc is seamless. You can book it all in advance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Journey time via train from BSL or ZRH to Zermatt is slightly quicker than from GVA.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The trains are so seemless and integrated it is no hardship going by train

Direct trains (or just one change) from Geneva or Zurich airport to Visp then the mountain railway through to Zermatt. Very easy and a very nice trip whichever way you do it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is one alternative to flying vs driving that I’ve always fancied. That’s taking the train all the way. According to Seat61.com it can be done fairly easily in a day. Eurostar London to Paris. Then TGV to Geneva or Lausanne before changing into a regional train to Visp and the mountain railway to Zermatt

No idea at all about the price but it’s something that’s always appealed to me!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Best way is a private jet to Sion then helicopter up to Zermatt. Might not be the cheapest though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure where you are located, but we find flights to Basel are markedly cheaper than to Geneva (£350 for 5 at New Year versus nearly £2000 to Geneva for example). There’s a bus outside the terminal that takes you directly to the train station, direct trains every two hours to Visp then change for Zermatt or more frequently with an extra change at Bern.
The Swiss Transfer Ticket from the Switzerland Travel Centre or online the most economic option (together with family card, free, if travelling with children under 16). The travel time is pretty much the same as from Geneva or Zurich and it’s a pleasant way to travel, letting the train take the strain...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We go to Saas Fee (nextdoor valley) a couple of times a year and do both the fly/train and the tunnel/drive option.

If there are 3 or more of you, driving probably cuts cost but adds a little time. We reckon about 14 hours door to door from MK but we don't stop much, couple of meals/snacks and a fuel stop each way. Once you get to the Jura it is a lovely drive in over the mountains, into Switzerland and then up the valley from Visp. You'll want a Swiss vignette 40CHF, and tolls about £100 which is roughly the price of one train ticket.

Flying we always go to ZRH as it is a much nicer experience than GVA and the planes can land there in any old weather it seems. Train into Visp is direct. I reckon this is about 10 hours door to door so a little quicker, but depends how much value you place on that time being dictated by a timetable.

We find 3 people the cut off for driving being cheaper but the car is already winterised as we do it anyway. YMMV if you need to factor any winter kit in the car. Also in the car ski carriage is free.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ideally fly to Sion on Swiss and then the train to Zermatt. If you are flying to Geneva then train to Zermatt. I wouldn't hire a car unless it saved a lot of money, which is unlikely.

I doubt that it will take much longer to wheel your luggage onto the train at GVA than queue at car hire, take the transfer bus, and drive out.

Take a look at the integrated Swiss rail timetabler at https://www.sbb.ch/en If you are flying to GVA/Sion then it's worth making sure that your flights coincide with the trains or that a delayed flight won't drop you in a quiet part of the timetable that means hanging-round for a train.

You can purchase a Swiss Transfer Ticket from the London Switzerland Travel Centre as well as the SBB site https://switzerlandtravelcentre.co.uk/ although it's always worth checking standard return prices closer to the travel date.

If you opt to drive down, then what we do to get to Verbier 4 Vallées is one of two routes:

(1) Eurotunnel -> Reims -> Troyes (Overnight Magnant) -> Besancon -> Pontarlier -> Vallorbe -> Lausanne -> Martigny. In your case you'd carry on past Sion and then as outlined by earlier post. If the snow is really heavy, then you might go on the all-autoroute (2) Troyes -> Bourg -> Geneva ->Lausanne which is two side of a triangle but all on motorways.

Outbound, we stop over at a motel, Le Val Moret, just of the autoroute near Troyes and enjoy the swimming pool and nice restaurant https://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel/hotel-le-val-moret-2574?partid=661. Return, if you have multiple drivers, you save the 1hr time difference and you might opt just to keep going to Coquelles. With two of us, we still stop over at val Moret on the way back, as part of the holiday. Obviously, this means you can get a much earlier Eurotunnel than if you're doing it all in one go. But be aware that if this is Sunday, the supermarkets will be shut.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks again to the very informative answers provide by snowheads , i guess a flight and train is looking the most likley GVA offers the most flexibility in terms of flights and trains and it was very relaxing when we did it a few years back . i guess the decision as to which airport to use will ultimately be decided by the differing flight costs and times .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TommyJ wrote:
The trains are so seemless and integrated it is no hardship going by train

Direct trains (or just one change) from Geneva or Zurich airport to Visp then the mountain railway through to Zermatt. Very easy and a very nice trip whichever way you do it.

This - the Zurich trains are nicer and more comfortable (double-decker) than the ones from GVA.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also the Zurich trains are Intercity so have a buffet/bar where you can get snacks and drinks - not sure if they have a trolley service. But the Geneva trains are regional ones so no catering - despite it being a 2hr journey. Mind you there is a supermarket by the station at GVA and most of our fellow travellers seemed to be stocking up on a picnic for the journey. Including wine!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we took the train to Zermatt a few years ago from Geneva, it worked like clockwork and no hassle.

Also cars aren't allowed into Zermatt so you would have to park outside somewhere (I guess)?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy