Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are in Sweden. Anybody been there?

Poster: A snowHead
Flying out on the 17th to Are and I've been looking at the live web cams over the last week and it seems almost deserted. I guess it hasn't really started there yet but there seems to be plenty of snow. Hopefully they are going to open a few more slopes.

I was just wondering if anybody on here has been there and is there any tips I should be armed with.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jools 837, I've written a couple of TRs on Are on snowHead I'll paste links later, if you cannot find them. Are website suggests that loads more lifts opening 21 Dec. Any specific questions, post away.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some good threads on Are in the past as dobby says. I loved the place, the microwaves in some big warming huts so you can take your own meals is a handy cost saver.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jools 837, Temps can be -25c and quite windy to. The rule is NO exposed skin. You will find the Swedish are not overly 'safety conscious', you are assumed to have a brain and the ability to use it. As an example, the kids from our hotel had a go at powered ice skate surfing on the frozen lake- what's the minimum age i asked - there isn't one , they just have to reach the peddles! A couple of bars in Are itself, the place quite pretty, ice everywhere from memory - town on a small hill.
This time of year = short skiing day. IT WILL BE COLD! IT WILL BE COLD! IT WILL BE COLD!

I was there around a decade ago now...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2856494&highlight=sweden#2856494 gives TR from 2 years ago
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3024965&highlight=sweden+2017#3024965 TR from 2017
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To dark & cold at the beginning of the Winter (Dec/Jan) Very exposed. Wait until later in the season March/April.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I booked this trip in august as I wanted somewhere snowsure during the winter break. As it turns out most of the Alps have a healthy coating early this year but judging by recent years this hasn't been the case. Having skied over Christmas in Les Arcs/Piesey couple of years back there was not enough snow to get back to our chalet I didn't want to take the chance this year.
We are expecting it to be cold and are making sure we are appropriately equipped. I'll let you know how it went when we get back...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went in April a few years ago- a nice place would go back

😊
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m flying out there tomorrow, never been before (similar reason for the booking - not my idea as France in sunny March is my ideal and also planned...) very mixed ability group, not many slopes/lifts atm and bloody freezing so think there will be very little skiing and much more time in the hotel spa/bar.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are heading up there on the 24th December with family and friends, really looking forward to it, so please post updates while you are there snowHead

I've been there when its been -30 C but as long as you are covered up you will be ok, the lowest forecast is around -10 C next week, so you should be fine.

We have been there a few times. Its has a pretty centre, and the resort has grown even over the last 10 years.

I really like the town centre and the bars and restaurants around there. There is also a nice bar at the bottom of the black run off the top that serves a very refreshing pint of Kilkenny (or used to), but you need to be careful not to have too many or you might end up watching the sunset from there before realising you've still got to ski across the mountain and then down to your apartment! Laughing Actually, it wasn't too much of a problem as the stars lit the way home.

There is a large supermarket down by the railway station that has a great range, but remember that alcohol is limited to 3.5% in supermarkets, so wine, premium beers, spirits, etc, need to be bought from the system bolaget which is around a 15 minute walk from there, further along the shore road.

There is a restaurant up in the mountains, called Buustamon, but the only way up there is via a bandwagon (an armoured personnel carrier with tank tracks), but its a great restaurant and also has two big hottubs that you can sit in drinking beer and then roll around in the snow afterwards.... no, I'm not sure why we do that either!

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that juggler.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We put a wine box in each of our suitcases Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
We put a wine box in each of our suitcases Toofy Grin
oooohhhh great idea
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

We put a wine box in each of our suitcases

well, we might do that as well...
latest report
I was there last weekend in our new apartment Very Happy It was very good for this time of year. Cold, but not too bad, around -10C. Only a few lifts and slopes open right now, but they will ramp that up quickly in the weeks before Christmas. No lifts open in the high zone yet. But there are skinning tracks up there, and it was lovely.

ski holidays
@Jools 837, sounds lovely.
Where are you flying from/to? (Are there non-
London options?) How did you book your accommodation & flights?
Have a great time Smile
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
@Jools 837, sounds lovely.
Where are you flying from/to? (Are there non-
London options?) How did you book your accommodation & flights?
Have a great time Smile

Gatwick to Åre/Östersund direct with easy jet on Sundays (changeover day), 1 hour transfer. Or Norwegian air to Trondheim, 2 hour transfer.
snow conditions
@Grizzler,
I booked with crystal and staying in the Tott hotel half board. Which is supposed to be ski in/out but this early in the season we'll see. As themasterpiece said we fly from Gatwick on Sunday morning with sleazy jet. Would of preferred to go from Bristol but not available. The price was not too bad if I recall and in Jan it looked pretty reasonable. We had to go in school holiday as my son is in his last year and couldn't go over Christmas because of other commitments...
snow report
@Jools 837, Hi Jools, hope the travel went well, how is it there now?

The forecast looks a little breezy, but not too cold, have they managed to open all the lifts?
snow conditions
@Sack the Juggler, more lifts open Thursday according to the Are website.
ski holidays
Hopefully coz there ain't a lot at the moment..
snow conditions
Thermometer says it's about 0 but feels colder. Can't seem to find anything but steep reds at the moment which is fine for me and the lad but the missus is not that chuffed. Had to come in at half two, they shut at three anyway, coz couldn't see anything coz it's two dark. Off down the shops for a low light lenses for my Oakley Pilots.
Food is impressive so far. It ain't cheap but high quality. Better than a 13euro crouqet monsieur in Morzine.
snow report
@Jools 837, that'll be the runs under the VM8 lift then. Not the easiest. Proper red.
snow report
@dobby,
Yes that's the area we've been messing around in.
latest report
the wind might also be limiting the lifts, although there are a few nice blues down through the trees via the Rudkulleliften lifts on the far side of the large plateau where the bar and restaurant are. Bit of a trek from the centre of Are though, but worth it once you are there from memory, as you can do a few runs then take something to eat and drink before setting off again - but you will obviously need the lifts to be open to reach them.
ski holidays
@Sack the Juggler, good call
snow report
We didn't get as far as Rudkulleliften today but will try tomorrow. We are in the Tott hotel so more to the right as you look up the mountain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the alpine skiing is limited, you could try some cross country... There are tracks around Björnen, and should be no problem to hire gear and a lesson if needed
snow report
As @dobby mentioned, just read “on Thursday 21 December we also open the whole low zone area in duved, åre and björnen! It means ca. 35 open lifts and up to 75-80 open runs!

https://www.facebook.com/skistarare/posts/10155005456656811
ski holidays
@Jools 837, well worth going to Rodkullen if the lifts are open. Some nice blues and easier reds. Great place to grab something to eat and drink, IIRC. If the wind dies down when they open more lifts, then head up to the top. Some nice reds there, and those runs aren't open very often. May be worth getting the bus to Duved once they open up more runs - nice cruisy area that tends to be quieter than Are By.
snow conditions
Thanks for that Dobby..
snow report
@Jools 837, Not sure what is open there yet, but Tegefjall area should suit too. Have fun, is our favourite place.
ski holidays
@thecramps, good call. Bus to there or ski over from duved
ski holidays
Forecast of 25-30cm snow and very strong winds (its saying 23.5 m/s winds at the top of the mountain!).

@Jools 837, how is it on the ground?
snow report
I was there late last year, arguably after the good stuff was done, April I think. It's a neat place, but we had meh conditions. We never got a chance to see the top of are because wind and ice closed the top lifts. It's relatively small (vs the alps) in my opinion. I probably would not go again, but our conditions were pretty icy, badly wind swept and like I said, only access to 1/2 the mtn.

As an aside, there was a ski tour operator in town that I signed up for that was fun and pretty reasonable. Also had good food. If you are a foodie, faveken is in that area, which was really the main reason we trekked all the way over to Sweden.
snow conditions
@Redwine, wind and ice shutting high zone is fairly common unfortunately.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
Forecast of 25-30cm snow and very strong winds (its saying 23.5 m/s winds at the top of the mountain!).

@Jools 837, how is it on the ground?

Took the Tott lift over to bjornen but on top it was fairly unpleasant in strong winds and heavy snow. Nobody else around. Very hard to see just followed some red sticks in the gloom. Missus not happy. Then found out we couldn't get back coz the chairlift was closed. So we got the bus.
Me and the lad had a few more runs above Are but the VM8 was closed and the blizzard picked up. He couldn't see in his fancy but useless mirrored lenses. (Offered to buy him some others).
There is a couple of inches of powder on top of ice coz it was wet yesterday, so it's a little tricky. We came in at 2.30.
See what tomorrow brings..
latest report
@Themasterpiece,

Where do you get your weather reports from because all the ones I looked at this morning said "snow flurries". That ain't flurries or is that flurries to the Swedes..
snow conditions
@Jools 837, I'm wondering what kind of boots to bring with me for walking around town in, I've got ones that are easy on / off and others that need lacing up, the latter are great for gripping the ice, the former less so, so is it really icy on the pavements around town?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy